AXLE SHAFT HELP!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
Doing U joints on my 1979 Chevy k10 pickup with a Dana44 spicer axle. Axle shafts came out fine but after I installed new U joints the bearing caps would not fit through the knuckle. The actual CV housings will fit without the U joints in, but after instal the bearing caps stick out to far to go though. I ordered proformer heavy duty universal joints from Napa. I tried pressing the bearing caps in farther resulting in both of them shattering. I want to know what U joints I need to order that will actually fit. I do not want to resort to a grinder. I seen MOOG carries U joints for my application but I do not want to bust a 25$ pair of U joints....

Please help, I’m sort of in a time crunch. If I need to order new axle shafts I will to skip the hassle. I’ve tried searching for someone who has had a similar problem....nothing. The stock U joint bearing caps fit flush with the axle shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Doing U joints on my 1979 Chevy k10 pickup with a Dana44 spicer axle. Axle shafts came out fine but after I installed new U joints the bearing caps would not fit through the knuckle. The actual CV housings will fit without the U joints in, but after instal the bearing caps stick out to far to go though. I ordered proformer heavy duty universal joints from Napa. I tried pressing the bearing caps in farther resulting in both of them shattering. I want to know what U joints I need to order that will actually fit. I do not want to resort to a grinder. I seen MOOG carries U joints for my application but I do not want to bust a 25$ pair of U joints....

Please help, I’m sort of in a time crunch. If I need to order new axle shafts I will to skip the hassle. I’ve tried searching for someone who has had a similar problem....nothing. The stock U joint bearing caps fit flush with the axle shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure its a dana 44?

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I bought too big ones for mine too. Then I measured the old ones. Did you have them 180 off? Because one side is longer than the other one. These are the correct ones for mine even though it says they won't fit.

You must be registered for see images attach

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
i ended up finding a very helpful guy at advanced auto, apparently napa had me order driveshaft U joints not axle shaft. went through moog and vehicle fitment at advanced and seemed to work out fine.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@devin bianco

Man I am lost completely! What axle shafts? Where? On the rear end?? You mean like a Jaguar rear end, that's what you have?? Yeah, I know what a Dana 44 rear end is, right? Where are axle u-joints on a C10 rear end?? The drive shaft u-joints for sure, but axle u-joints??? Can you post a pic. I've got to see this!
@82sbshortbed, I didn't know there was any kind of a u-joint like that. What application is that used on,with, of??

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Curt,

Most of all my drive shaft u-joints and other stuff came from Denny's. Good stuff and cost okay to.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
@devin bianco

Man I am lost completely! What axle shafts? Where? On the rear end?? You mean like a Jaguar rear end, that's what you have?? Yeah, I know what a Dana 44 rear end is, right? Where are axle u-joints on a C10 rear end?? The drive shaft u-joints for sure, but axle u-joints??? Can you post a pic. I've got to see this!
@82sbshortbed, I didn't know there was any kind of a u-joint like that. What application is that used on,with, of??

That's the u joints installed on my driveshaft.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
@devin bianco

It's a 4wd thing for the front axle.

mrandrepaul

Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a question. I have a 77 C10 and the front axle shaft sticks out further than the back. I was putting rims on it but they won’t go over the shaft in the front cause it pokes out like 3-4 inches and if I could the rim with sat out further in the front then the back ones. Is there a way to fix this issue? I’ve included pics of the front and back. The part that pokes out with Chevy symbol is the front. Initially I thought that was just a cap for the rim but when I took it off it’s actually a cover for the axle shaft.

Attachments

• C23E1065-438A-4524-88DD-4BD41F1C1EE3.png
    C23E1065-438A-4524-88DD-4BD41F1C1EE3.png
    954.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 7ACE489F-D331-4ABE-A792-C156A145F670.png
    7ACE489F-D331-4ABE-A792-C156A145F670.png
    891.4 KB · Views: 101

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Your C10 doesn't really have a front axle shaft. The wheel/rotor ride on a spindle. The center cap on your front wheel hides the wheel bearing cap. If your new wheels don't fit on the front, you need to remove the center cap from them. Either run them without the center cap (which is ugly to some), or buy some new center caps if they're available. I can't tell from the picture what the rear wheels are, so IDK if aftermarket center caps are available.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Judging by the picture showing the modern factory wheel of some kind, you have two options. Either hog out the center bore of the rim to fit over the front bearing hub, or run wheel spacers.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
that is incorrect according to what my truck has and the 77 k25 And the 78 k10
The 44-8F housing was used from '73-'82. The wheel bearings did change in mid '77. The 1/2 tons got larger and the 3/4 ton got a fuzz smaller (in comparison to the earlier models). From mid '77 on both 1/2T and 3/4T use the same wheel bearings and seals. Most 44-8F housings were set up for the larger wheel bearings but the only way to be sure is to pull one apart and check. The reason I say that is because I have sold many conversion packages (spindles, splined hubs, bearings/seals) to upgrade to the larger bearings over the years, so even if you have an early one someone may have already suffered a failure and changed it over. In my GM parts book they state that the early models have the mount for the steering stabilizer welded near the knuckle and on the later (2nd design) they were welded near the center of the diff (towards the "pumpkin"). This info is accurate for the trucks I have worked on over the years but once again, who knows who has change what...... Hope this helps. Good Luck!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
**** can it! Dana 60 swap.

im definitely not this ambitous but I figured out this rear end is a dana 60, it may even have 4.10 gears but its unknown to me yet if that casing or shaft strength is anything to match the ones you would refer to, especially in a front conversion(which im not doing lol)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84