Aux fuel filter location?? Heat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Here is the engine bay. Could heat become an issue (AZ) if I stick an auxiliary fuel filter in the wrong spot?

I would like to mount it out and up by the hood hinge on the right side if this location doesn’t lead to vapor lock. Under the cab on the frame appears to be a lot more work considering my work space. Plus I’d like to keep an eye on it.

Sorry for the crap pics in advance.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All the cool pro-street guys used to run those canister filters right next to the fuel tank.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
vapor lock occurs on the suction side. so adding resistance like a filter on the suction side increases the odds of getting vapor lock. now if the fuel boils on the pressure side the fuel pump just pushes the bubbles though the carb. im my opinion i would run the sock filter that is in the fuel tank to screen out the big rocks from the fuel pump then run your filter on the pressure side. the fender would be a convenient location.

Last edited:

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
vapor lock occurs on the suction side. so adding resistance like a filter on the suction side increases the odds of getting vapor lock. now if the fuel boils on the pressure side the fuel pump just pushes the bubbles though the carb. im my opinion i would run the sock filter that is in the fuel tank to screen out the big rocks from the fuel pump then run your filter on the pressure side. the fender would be a convenient location.

Thanks for the info. I NEVER dealt with vapor lock in the Midwest in any vehicle I owned. But running one tank out of gas to switch to the other was how I drove my 76. I didn’t want to put a big “void” in the fuel line to fill if I ran one tank completely out of gas.
Installing the aux filter on the pressure side would keep the bowl full regardless.(didn’t think that completely through), thanks.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
FWIW, my main filter is located under the passenger seat on the outside of the frame rail between the tank and pump. Secondary filter is mounted on blower case in front of head. Lots of heat but no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84