Auto Locking Hubs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Is it possible to convert the front axle on my Square Body to auto locking hubs? I realize everything in my driveline is mechanical as opposed to electrical, but, it would be great if I could just grab the stick on the floor when I want the extra help from the front wheels.

Manual hubs is just one reason I'm not fond of SFA.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The auto hubs are failure-prone junk. They will surely fail when you need them the most and parts are not available for them. The only good use for them is on a 100% original show truck.

If your front axle is open, just run with the hubs locked and shift into 4hi whenever you need to. I run with the hubs locked all winter long, except for extended periods on the freeway (like over 50 miles, just to save wear and tear on the d-shaft).

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Not what I wanted to hear, but, thanks for the information.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's really not bad news at all. It's a much better setup than the newer fancy trucks that are built for soccer moms.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I am thinking Jay might be happier with a soccer mom push button truck. On a brighter note, if you really want auto locking hubs, I bet someone who has not yet traded out their auto locking hubs for manuals, would be happy to swap with you. My 85K10 project I bought still has the auto lockers and they'll be first thing to go when I get it all together. Sure, the manuals are more work, but they are certainly more dependable. I also know a guy who has a locker in his front diff, which I don't recommend, limited slip OK, but not a locker. Makes it harder to steer when in 4x4, but he says when on bad weather but still driving on pavement, he only locks in one hub, so he isn't barking tires, breaking axles or having the hard to steer issue. Then on dirt or off road, he will lock both hubs and he says traction is like no other but it does steer like a tank.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I admit it. I would rather have the soccer mom set up. I'm not an off roader at all. Mainly because I've never been able to find a place to mud that didn't require running from the cops.

I'd much rather be building a 2WD, but, this is the truck in inherited from my dad, so it's the truck I have to work with for now. I'll have my 2WD Square one of these days.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well then, as said, find someone, or run you an ad on Craigslist, willing to trade manual hubs for good proper working auto hubs and I'd be willing to bet you'd get a hit shortly. You are opposite of me, I only have one 4x4 SB but I have several 2WD SB's. I'd glady trade one or two of my 2WD for 4WD. I only need one 2WD for a street/strip truck, and another 3/4 ton for a towing rig which could actually be the 88 Burb I am currently putting together.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If I lived in an area where I COULD play off road, I would. Granted, I think I would most likely play off road on a dirt bike or ATV. My state is not friendly towards off roaders at all. If you don't own the land, you can't play on it. Unfortunately, there are no wide open spaces that I know of, either.

My ECSB Sierra is my work horse. That's the truck I use for anything and everything. I'm sure once I put my Square back together I'll use that as a work horse, too. After all, that one is a RCLB. However, I really feel like the only 4WD I need is my Sierra. The Square, much like the S10, will never see winter use again.

Hm. Maybe once I am in a position to where I can play off road, I should look for an off road club. I ought to do that before I spend money on wheels and tires, though.

Either way, I'll just keep my hubs the way they are now.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I was rockin a 07 2wd Sierra a while ago and after being stuck in sand, and multiple times in snow I swore My daily driver pickup will be 4x4. Don't get me wrong, I love the street pounders but would rather have a truck I can go places in during bad weather, I don't mind locking the hubs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If I lived in an area where I COULD play off road, I would. Granted, I think I would most likely play off road on a dirt bike or ATV. My state is not friendly towards off roaders at all. If you don't own the land, you can't play on it. Unfortunately, there are no wide open spaces that I know of, either.

My ECSB Sierra is my work horse. That's the truck I use for anything and everything. I'm sure once I put my Square back together I'll use that as a work horse, too. After all, that one is a RCLB. However, I really feel like the only 4WD I need is my Sierra. The Square, much like the S10, will never see winter use again.

Hm. Maybe once I am in a position to where I can play off road, I should look for an off road club. I ought to do that before I spend money on wheels and tires, though.

Either way, I'll just keep my hubs the way they are now.
Yep, I am thinking that makes sense. If you are not using fo buh fo much anyway, may as way keep the manuals that you would rarely use anyway, and have the more durable hubs that you can count on in the event you do ever need them.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it's open diff just get fulltime hubs and put them on. The front driveshaft wear is a moot point, for trucks that truly are fulltime 4wd. And with your part-time t-case it will be a little easier on gas without the front pulling.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
IMHO, having manual locking hubs can save you from a bad situation in more ways than one. If you have auto locking hubs, you just grab the t-case lever and plow ahead blindly. Having manual hubs forces you to get out of the truck, walk around and see how bad the terrain really is and if you need to choose another route or not.

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
I am bumping this old thread, mostly because i'm also inheriting the 82 with auto lockers, which haven't given any problem in 30 years of use.

But i like the idea i don't have to get out in the cold wet mud to lock hubs in when you get into a sticky bind.

Now the question is where can i find some schematics of the GM auto lockers.... or can i go bat **** crazy and go find a nice shift on the fly from an older chevy and do a redneck conversion.... i'm lazy and like the soccer mom don't have to get out and get dirty.

most of the time the 4x4 for me is needed is either bad weather in snow on local roads or in pastures i've been running through all my life.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I am bumping this old thread, mostly because i'm also inheriting the 82 with auto lockers, which haven't given any problem in 30 years of use.

But i like the idea i don't have to get out in the cold wet mud to lock hubs in when you get into a sticky bind.

Now the question is where can i find some schematics of the GM auto lockers.... or can i go bat **** crazy and go find a nice shift on the fly from an older chevy and do a redneck conversion.... i'm lazy and like the soccer mom don't have to get out and get dirty.

most of the time the 4x4 for me is needed is either bad weather in snow on local roads or in pastures i've been running through all my life.

So are you referring to the Full Time 4x4 Transfer Case? The NP203? Usually has fixed hubs on the front axle where they're locked in all the time just like the rear axle. Then the Tcase acts as a differential between the Front and Rear Axle Full Time. Then you can LOC it in 4Hi LOC or 4Lo LOC then it runs both axles and does not differentiate.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I change all mine over to manual hubs after I got stranded with the auto hubs once. I got in a snow drift and pulled the lever for 4wd and got alot of noise from the auto hub not engaging because the grease was to stiff from the cold. As Bucket says I run my hubs locked when weather or road conditions give reason that I may need 4wd. Works out well and rest of time there free to roll and save driveline wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito