At a complete loss!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sapruitt

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
At a complete loss! Replaced motor with a crate 350HO from GM. Ran great for about 1500 miles. Started dying at random from flooding out. Swapped out the holly carb for a new quadrajet and same thing. Replaced wires, plugs, and coil on distributor... will start, ruff idle,, then starts blowing black smoke and floods out all eight plugs????? Acts like its 180* out but timing is set! HELP!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Is the distributor gear sloppy? Is that the Original Distributor from the previous motor?

You said you replaced coil, plugs, and wires, did you replace the cap and button?

And then I guess, is the dizzy getting a constant 12v with key ON?

Did you break it in properly with the correct oil with the additives required? If not, you may have flattened the cam possibly as well.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You need to do some basic checking. Have you put a vacuum gauge on it? Checked for vacuum leaks? Compression test? Adjusted the valvetrain now that it is broken in? Is it roller or flat tappet cam?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I agree with the other posters, but also would add if the fuel pressure is to high that could cause flooding.

It would be helpful to use if we could see and hear what it does and how it runs. Any chance of shooting a short video and posting it?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I dont follow the thought process..it's a major. project. to change types of carburetor.. From a Holley -BACK TO- Rochester conversion? At what cost, exactly? $500 comes kinda easy, amirite?
Thats conservative not mentioning throwing money at the ignition to boot!
Get it? To boot. :rolleyes:
New crate 350. = $1500 on the porch kinda easy but that sure dont put it in the truck.

Howd did it get in there lol boy?

What happened to the old engine huh?
Y U pull it?

You pulled it?

Like Building 7 it sounds like..

:secret:

I will be surprised to find out you had much more involvement outside of paying the bill.

My advice to you is to pull it alright.
Out of that shop as smoothly as you can cuz you are getting taken for a ride.
Easy to fix as 1,2,3

Stop paying the bill.
Regroup.
Add pix.

Ready?
Break!

P.S.

We'll have to go back over everything. :nono:

You have or had enough money to buy another entire truck but somebody found a way into your pocket and now your junk dont even run.

You oughta take a step back maybe.
Maybe two.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One thing is for cert
I dont follow the thought process..it's a major. project. to change types of carburetor.. From a Holley -BACK TO- Rochester conversion? At what cost, exactly? $500 comes kinda easy, amirite?
Thats conservative not mentioning throwing money at the ignition to boot!
Get it? To boot. :rolleyes:
New crate 350. = $1500 on the porch kinda easy but that sure dont put it in the truck.

Howd did it get in there lol boy?

What happened to the old engine huh?
Y U pull it?

You pulled it?

Like Building 7 it sounds like..

:secret:

I will be surprised to find out you had much more involvement outside of paying the bill.

My advice to you is to pull it alright.
Out of that shop as smoothly as you can cuz you are getting taken for a ride.
Easy to fix as 1,2,3

Stop paying the bill.
Regroup.
Add pix.

Ready?
Break!

P.S.

We'll have to go back over everything. :nono:

You have or had enough money to buy another entire truck but somebody found a way into your pocket and now your junk dont even run.

You oughta take a step back maybe.
Maybe two.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You may be right...amirite?
But you should also consider writing fictional stories, as I don't know how you could glean or make up that much from what the OP posted...

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah maybe but we all know you cant buy AND install a new engine and change carburetors for $2000.

Unless you're doing the work yourself...
There are only so many directions this story goes.

A- He is doing the heavy lifting and buying the parts.
B-Hes buying the parts and paying someone else to put them on.

Either way is broke and he's ended up here as Mr.New Member.

I believe IF he was doing the work himself, he would have already been here or at least the chances improve greatly, but hes a noob.
IF he was doing the work himself, he should already know the answer.
Its not rock science, its a 40 year old tractor turned pickup truck. Goes together with a flathead and a 9/16 ....
If he made it THIS FAR by himself back then, he wouldnt need us, now.

The truck is either work or play and $2000 was back a ways - amirite?
So I reckon hes some dude listening to some other dude in a shop repeating catch phrases like "180 out" OR

If it ran that magical 1500 miles number then it aint the fuel system or the ignition OR the carburetor....reckon he flattened a cam ? Is that real? How do you kill something like that so easy?
Half a turn aint very much. ...My eyes are on the engine installer.

If its for fun then pay somebody to fix it because he shouldnt be trying to and it dont sound like he's havin fun?

If its for work, pay somebody DIFFERENT to fix it. because I bet he aint even gettin kissed.

He dont kiss ya, does he?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mushrooms. And not the ones on the salad. I agree with Rusty Vortec though. This doesn't add up. Lets see where the rabbit hole takes us.

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
If the timing was 180deg out it straight up wouldn't start or run. You said it's blowing black smoke which means it's running very rich, why is it running so rich after 1500 miles? And what do you mean it's flooding all 8 plugs? The carburetor is what floods, the plugs are what fire off the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber, there is no fuel supply to the plugs so I don't know what you mean when you say all 8 plugs are flooding. Do you mean they're all fouled? Well if it is running as rich as you say I am not surprised they're fouled, that's what happens. It's actually better that all 8 are fouled than just a couple cylinders because that might mean something mechanically wrong. But if all 8 are fouling at the same time it means it's consistent and it really is just because too much fuel. The plugs are not the problem nor is the distributor or the timing. It's flooding, that is your problem. Okay, throwing a different carb at it didn't fix the problem, so what next, fuel pump maybe? What kind of pump you running? Only so many things that can make it flood like that, that's what you need to figure out. Trace back through your fuel system and figure out what's going on. A lot easier than swapping a whole engine. But at this point you might just need a whole new engine. When you pull that bad one out I'll come pick it up from you, I got $100 waiting for you whenever you're ready.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I was thinking as the day went on, an ignition system (unless completely dead) wouldn't cause all this.

How's the fuel being delivered?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Start with the simple stuff. Is the firing order correct? Is the choke opening? Is there a fuel filter installed in the carb? If not, it’s likely that something is stuck in the needle/seat, causing the carb to flood. When you shut off the truck, look down inside the carb. Do you see fuel flowing out of the carb boosters? If do, it’s time to pull the top off the carb.

Remove all the plugs, disable the ignition. Wire the throttle full open, run a compression test on each cylinder. Hopefully they are all equal and around 150psi. If not, suspect a cam problem. Cut open the oil filter, pull the little pleats apart. If you see glitter buried in the filter pleats, the camshaft going flat theory is all but confirmed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boukeelynn