Aries Step Bars / Nerf Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtriderdd

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just bought the Aries step bars for my 84 K10, part# 204040, from Real Truck; they sell the same set on LMC. I'm having trouble installing the rear brackets which mount to the rear spring hanger. Anyone have any experience in getting these installed or pics?

jbalderrama21

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400 SB
dirtriderdd, did you end up installing the Aries step bars for your 84 K10, if so did you figure out how to install the rear brackets into the rear spring hangers? Any feedback is appreciated!!

ThSlug

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm curious too. Looking for nerf bars, but not sure what will fit. Did it work out?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No support from the manufacture guys?

ThSlug

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was looking for a while, but didn't find anything until I found this thread. Most manufacturers don't list fitment for pre ~90 trucks. I don't know if they never made them because of the saddle tanks, which make it hard to attach to the frame, or if they just stopped stocking them. All you can find are those dinky loop steps.

I just purchased the Aries 204041 for $110 shipped:
https://autoplicity.com/9380336-aries-204041-aries-3-inch-round-side-bars

That model is supposed to fit my truck wheel to wheel. I guess I'll find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThSlug

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Never mind. They cancelled my order.

ThSlug

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok. I managed to locate the nerf bars and install them. Somehow the same company that was not able to sell me the bars directly for $100 through their site managed to fill the order for $150 through amazon. Go figure.

So, these nerf bars are crap. They look ok, but they don't fit the truck. I had to widen a hole to fit them on the front mounts, and the rear is hopeless. I can't see any solution without welding and/or drilling the frame.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
following this... I have been thinking about putting some on my truck but only want to use Pre-Drilled holes. Never had a truck with nerf-bars so pretty new. That's a good question though if they will fit due to the saddle tanks.

TerColHan

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Just spent lterally 3 days completely refabricating every bracket so they would fit my frame as designed then lengthening the holes in the brackets so the bars would mount to them. They now look and fit like they should but NOT something you can just knock out in an afternoon. I would have been better off just buying some flat bar and welding my own brackets from scratch rather than reworking the ones supplied in the kit. Oh, and the hardware kit was also incomplete.
You must be registered for see images attach

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Looks nice. I've been trying to figure what to do with my Sub. Wife and Grandkids need a step of some sort but nothing out there anymore specifically made for our squares. I kinda figured I'd have to engineer some mounting hardware but I didn't know what kit would take the least amount of engineering.

You have part numbers for what you got?

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
By the way that Sub looks incredible......

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Well, that's a shame there are no Nerf Bars specifically made for these trucks.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Burbs and blazers wouldn’t be too difficult to fab a set for. Trucks don’t really work the same unless you put a blazer/burb tank in. Still doable though.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Man I just ordered a set of these for a guy with a K5. I hope he doesn't have these issues...

TerColHan

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Thanks, I'll look for the invoice but I really can't recommend these unless you are prepared for some major rework of the mounting brackets here are some pics of the mods I had to do to get it to fit. The first shot shows where I actually had to cut a slot in the front leaf spring mount in order to access the nut that had to be removed to install the rear mounting bracket. I also needed to lengthen the slot the nerf bar bolts to since the bars are longer than the space between the brackets.
I also had to shorten the brace for the rear bracket and drill a mounting hole in the bottom of the frame rail. The position can be seen in the 1st pic also. Shortening the brace may be specific to my application since I did it mostly to avoid having to cut my exhaust out to reach where it should have mounted on the crossmember between the frame rails. I did not find a hole to bolt the bracket to in that location so even if my exhaust didn't interfere I would have needed to drill a hole and install a 1/2" nutsert.

The second shot show how I needed to cut an elongated hole 90 degrees to the original, again because the bar is longer than the space provided.

The last shot is just a closer look at the modifications needed to the factory spring mount. I'm pretty sure you could get the nut off without doing this but getting it back on with the bracket in place would be impossible with the body still on the truck.

One more note, the hardware provided is all metric so even though I was able to use 1/2" bolts to replace my missing hardware, this would not have worked for the 4 bolts that hold the bars to the bracketry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl