Are they nuts!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm about to split the case in my 14FF and swap out the locker. Poking around the net it seems some think it's required to use new ring gear bolts. So I figure, what the heck, buy once-cry once, no big deal to replace 12 bolts. Well, Holy Chitty chitty bang bang!!! When I am able to find them, they range from $6-$12 dollars......EACH!

So, I'm thinking mine are getting re-used. Is the fear they will back out from being stretched or they will shear? I have a hard time with the shear theory. I mean 12, 1/2 diameter bolts and ones going to shear? If backing out is the fear, I'll retorque them to spec, add locktite and maybe even stake them for good measure. But paying upwards of $120 for 12 bolts just ain't gonna happen. What say yall?

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I say re use and move on, nothing to see here.
Eric

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Well, as you already probably know, a rear ends tolerances are somewhat tight, not as tight as precision machining, but still fairly tight.

When setting a rear end, you're supposed to check your lash in multiple spots on the ring gear.

One of the precautionary things to do when installing a new ring gear is to stone both the carrier flange, and the bottom of the ring gear so they fit flat together (burrs or high spots from the mfg will interfere with the flatness)

Likewise with the bolts, they usually have a torque spec. If you were to say.... torque all of them but 2 in the same general area, you'd have a slight high spot (deeper tooth engagement)

If ones stretched some (like headbolts can) they can potentially bottom out in the hole and you won't know it, call it "tight" and it'll create highspots.

So, now that ive blabbed,

I'd replace them if money wasn't an issue, but since that's pretty darn pricey, maybe grind a little off the bottom of all of them so as to allow then to reach down in the hole deeper should they be stretched slightly :)

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hear ya. But...the ring gear should be pressed on the carrier. All I have to do is remove the bolts, open it up and remove/replace the locker with me new spidey gears. Obviously, I'll witness mark the two halves and even put the bolts back in the same holes. I believe the holes go all the way thru so they can't bottom out.
Well, as you already probably know, a rear ends tolerances are somewhat tight, not as tight as precision machining, but still fairly tight.

When setting a rear end, you're supposed to check your lash in multiple spots on the ring gear.

One of the precautionary things to do when installing a new ring gear is to stone both the carrier flange, and the bottom of the ring gear so they fit flat together (burrs or high spots from the mfg will interfere with the flatness)

Likewise with the bolts, they usually have a torque spec. If you were to say.... torque all of them but 2 in the same general area, you'd have a slight high spot (deeper tooth engagement)

If ones stretched some (like headbolts can) they can potentially bottom out in the hole and you won't know it, call it "tight" and it'll create highspots.

So, now that ive blabbed,

I'd replace them if money wasn't an issue, but since that's pretty darn pricey, maybe grind a little off the bottom of all of them so as to allow then to reach down in the hole deeper should they be stretched slightly :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128