Are the 6.2 diesels a good engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Just as the title says are the 6.2 good, reliable engines? I'm looking a k5 that has the 6.2 in it but I've never owned a 6.2 nor heard much about them? So with that being said I'm looking at buying a 82 K5 with the 6.2 for a topless cruiser and something to take to the beach.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
6.2's were GMs diesel in the square bodies there were a lot for military vehicles and they are pretty reliable for the most part it will definitely out last a transmission or two if you take care of them they are pretty gutless and dont have much power though but it might not be that bad if you aren't hot rodding around. And they're heavier than a big block so it will make it ride nicer with the extra weight

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
Great mpg. Good for daily driving and off-roading not much power but cheap and easy to fix and 6.5 turbo set up will install. I like mine in a crew cab with 38s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
not worried about power as of now lol just want to get something and have it ready for our family beach trip in july. This blazer i'm looking at needs a rear end and has a fuel problem because it dies after a high rev seems like low fuel pressure to me.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
They are simple and reliable... it's a fuel-efficient workhorse that will go for a long time, but it just doesn't compete with a Powerstroke or Duramax, or even a GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
They are simple and reliable... it's a fuel-efficient workhorse that will go for a long time, but it just doesn't compete with a Powerstroke or Duramax, or even a GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel

this sounds like what I need for now then. i'm not worried about power but easy to work on and reliable is my main thing. what kind of mpgs do these get? i've heard 20?

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
this sounds like what I need for now then. i'm not worried about power but easy to work on and reliable is my main thing. what kind of mpgs do these get? i've heard 20?

Sure... depending on axle ratio I've read/heard that's doable.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
If i could expand on the topic, i have a few questions of my own:

i see you can buy a brand new 6.5 from gm (made by international or AM general?) for about 6 thousand. And i'm not at all ruling this route out.

1) Is rebuilding a 6.2/6.5 pretty straightforward like rebuilding a small block (i know they are different engines)? Is this a straightforward a relatively cheap process?

a) What about the top---intake, injectors, pump? Can this be rebuilt or should this just be replaced? How much will this cost?

2) Any good places that produce good remans----Jasper etc.?

FilthyFifth

Reaction score
First Name
herman
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a 6.2 and so far it has been reliable, a good work horse. however, if you're like me and new to diesel it is a pain to troubleshoot. If you do end up picking it up, grab a haynes diesel repair book on your way home. So far, everything i've run into has a solution in that book.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
while not as cheap to rebuild as a 350. they are the cheapest diesel to rebuild. highdesertranger

jamba

Reaction score
First Name
Jarmo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer K5 Silverado
Engine Size
6,2 Diesel
I think it's good engine, when my old tractor broke, i replaced it's engine with 6.5 which is about same engine as 6.2

You must be registered for see images attach

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
The biggest issue with the 6.2 diesel is everyone compares it to the duramax/cummins/powerstroke. Which is just not practical, its a very good engine I DD one for like a year no issues and started up on the coldest NY days, but at the end of the day there is a reason why I did a cummins swap.

Also this is not a 350 gas motor converted to a diesel. I don't care how many people try to convince you that it is, because trust me people will.

roadracerga

Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Just as the title says are the 6.2 good, reliable engines? I'm looking a k5 that has the 6.2 in it but I've never owned a 6.2 nor heard much about them? So with that being said I'm looking at buying a 82 K5 with the 6.2 for a topless cruiser and something to take to the beach.
6.2 is not a bad engine would use it if already installed military had plenty they are a workhorse not racehorse Cummings swap would get you there.
Cummings would get you 20+mpg never do that with gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK