Are my grounds proper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a battery to body(low quality), body to frame, engine to body. Also engine to battery, of course.
All pictured. Are there supposed to be more or should they be reworked or what? This could very well be custom, but Id rather have good grounds when I redo my battery cables.

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Be sure to remove any oxidation, dust, oil, paints or any other contaminants on all contact points. I made a little tool that has a pilot pin in the center that I glued a little ‘O’ shaped sand papers that I cut out one at a time.

I can take a pic when I get home, but basically you put the centering pin into the bolt hole on your frame and the sanding disc sands a perfect 1/2” bare metal circle. I hit it with brake clean before and after.

Pretty sure I got the idea from a professionally built tool. So it’s something you could probably order.

Other than that, check the condition of the cables visually and check resistance.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Second picture: Head to firewall. Chances are the connection on the firewall is good. To remove that bolt to clean it, the bolt may be rusted and break. So I would check it. Unbolt the oily connection to the head. Clean the connector. Using your multi-meter, one contact to the fresh cleaned connector and the other lead right to the firewall. Scratch through the paint to bear metal. Should read 0.00 ohms. If it does the firewall connection is good and so is the short cable.

Third picture: I consider that style battery clamp a temporary repair. At some point it looks like starter current went through the two small wires. Since you have a DT battery I would buy the correct side terminal negative cable.**

** There may be as many different opinions about this as what to put in your power steering pump.

First picture: I believe that is front light/s ground. Are the lights working and bright? Probably good.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Second picture: Head to firewall. Chances are the connection on the firewall is good. To remove that bolt to clean it, the bolt may be rusted and break. So I would check it. Unbolt the oily connection to the head. Clean the connector. Using your multi-meter, one contact to the fresh cleaned connector and the other lead right to the firewall. Scratch through the paint to bear metal. Should read 0.00 ohms. If it does the firewall connection is good and so is the short cable.

Third picture: I consider that style battery clamp a temporary repair. At some point it looks like starter current went through the two small wires. Since you have a DT battery I would buy the correct side terminal negative cable.**

** There may be as many different opinions about this as what to put in your power steering pump.

First picture: I believe that is front light/s ground. Are the lights working and bright? Probably good.
The first pic is the termination of where the battery grounds to body in the small wire, that one goes from the same connection to the frame there. No lights connected. And yes they work. And good joke on the side post, but I dont "do" that. I will happily use lugs and make solid connections to marine terminals, sir! Brass ones. Brass lugs. Eventually brass battery posts. I dont like side posts, they make me cry. Good tip on cleaning up and checking resistance. Im more concerned about the gauges of wire, the places they are mounted, and if they are safe when looped together like the frame-to-body-to-battery-to-engine loop.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

This is my core support behind battery. Lug goes to the battery, its overkill compared to the original but that melted and htis was the only lugged cable i could get before the 4th. the small one to the left goes to frame by shroud.

The frame... that hole was cross threaded and barely held on. to fix it, instead of bolting, I put a threaded rivet into the hole and ran a bolt in with lock washer. Im not the most pro-easy everything, but is this sufficient? Should I move its location? Change the fastener?

Here, choke grounds in yellow to bracket. used threaded rivet because i could. Is this ok?
The battery cable, unseen, goes over to the core support and loops around to the battery on the passenger side. 51 inches. Is that too long?
Also, yes i know its a marine terminal but im a fan of lugs.

Then this guy.. the original firewall ground was a threaded screw into what was clearly a broken mounting point before it. I coudnt thread or tap orr put a bolt in it, so i put a threaded rivet.. cleaned and flattened best i could. Not really proud of it, but its the only thing it could reach and not make new holes. Thoughts? Also, should the other side have one?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Future wise, i am gonna redo wiring here on this. Should I ground straight to frame? Appears to be fender only at the moment.

I will have another thread eventually on starter wiring... but is this a ground? What does anyone think this broken wire is?
If a ground, where does it go?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128