Are any sway bar mods needed after lowering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Hey all, I stumbled across “sway bar brackets for lowered trucks” and it got me wondering. I lowered my 79 longbed and I didn’t address anything sway bar related. Am I needing to change the bracket for the sway bar? It’s a 3” drop up front over stock, nothing I thought was too crazy.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-6372lsb

Here is a picture just before I got the last of everything buttoned up. Drives just fine, just wanted some opinions.
You must be registered for see images attach

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I've seen people move the sway bar bracket between the frame and the drop down bracket to 'straighten out' the angle a little bit.
It will help to get rid of the gaps you can see above the bar on the control arm and below the bar at the frame.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I didn't have to do anything to my front sway bar and I dropped 6". I did have to modify the brackets on the rear sway bar and install shorter sway bar links.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Good to know! Since mine was only a 3, I may just leave it be. I do not have the luxury of a rear sway bar on my pickup. I will have to get mine in for an alignment though, it’s not quite where it needs to be after the drop, but I fully anticipated that.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I'm still fighting mine. I need to get some more camber in it and I can't convince the alignment guys to do it so I'll probably have to do it myself and hope for the best.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I'm still fighting mine. I need to get some more camber in it and I can't convince the alignment guys to do it so I'll probably have to do it myself and hope for the best.

Mine has slight camber as well. I put so little miles on the truck, I will probably wear out the backs quicker than I will the fronts with camber. You can see what I have to hopefully get squared away with an alignment.

Still got some tweeking to do. I think I may lower the back another inch. That or raise the front end just a smidge. Haven’t decided, that’s why I haven’t gotten an alignment yet.

As for the sway bar mounts, I’ll just skip them haha.

Last edited:

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
That looks pretty good.
Are those tires taller than factory, or do they just look that way because of it being lowered? Look a bit taller to me, and like they really fill out the wheel wells.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
That looks pretty good.
Are those tires taller than factory, or do they just look that way because of it being lowered? Look a bit taller to me, and like they really fill out the wheel wells.

You are exactly right! I bought some 5 lug generic 16 inch Steelies and am running 235/85/16 up front, 285/75/16 out back. I am thinking about changing the fronts to a 245/75/16 or 255/70/16 up front instead of the 235’s. Has a bit of an awkward look when looking at it from the rear, width wise. I was fortunate enough to find some 3/4 ton poverty caps, I had to make my own retention clips by trial and error, but it’s been fun.

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
Those brackets are for older trucks. 63-72
You should be fine.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
got the OEM 1" diesel sway bar on mine run fine with 5/7 drop....soon to be 1"3/8 whit my new convertion coil over kit! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank