Anyone who doesnt have a service manual read this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I was looking at ebay the other day and saw how cheap Haynes manuals are on there,now I'm sure one for a square is tough to come by but remember most of that square technology was also old full size car technology I think lots of guys on here are working with no manual and limited or no expierience. GM used the same starters alternators,engines transmissions,ignition and more for many years among many models. So the repairs,testing and troubleshooting are the same. Now just for fun I bought a 1970-1990 Buick,Olds,Pontiac full size RWD manual,it was $4.00,why not? It just arrived it would walk an average guy through a lot of repairs,remember gm shared engines,and transmissions. So for 4 bucks you get basic repairs, sbc engine overhaul,BBC engine overhaul,brakes, clutch,transmission, IMHO it's a great buy even if you don't have a GM wagon. (But You kind of do have a GM wagon)

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I try to purchase one for every vehicle I get. I've got a stack and a few hand me downs for the 1st gen camaro's from my dad.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haynes, Chiltons and my grandpas buddy Andy were my google, GMSB and YouTube of the 80s and 90s.
Reminds me I’m sure I have one or more that cover the Square. Saved my dads manuals…somewhere.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My dad was a street racer,about 12 years old or so every night at dinner I'd say dad what does the cam do? How does abigger cam help? etc.etc.etc. until one night he threw his Motors manual,blue book 3 or 4 inches thick up on the dinner table. This will tell you everything. I read it like a novel,memorized lots of it. That was my start. I wish I had that manual. Anyways my purpose on this thread was to point out to newbs,people that just don't run across manuals for their square,there are 4.00 dollar manuals out there,that will give you tons of pertinent information,even though it's not printed for a square. Kinda like if you had a book on how to paint a wall red,you could probably figure out how to use that same book to paint a wall green. Any 1970 -1990 repair manual that covers a rwd,sbc vehicle is a whole lot better than no manual for most of our members.

Last edited:

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have always liked the Chilton manuals better than the Haynes as I find them more detailed and better quality. Within this website there are links / downloads of all parts manuals, service manuals, wiring schematics, etc They have them for all years.

A website I have used extensively is www.gmpartswiki.com. If you use the parts manuls to find the number of the part you are looking for then this site will tell you all the crossovers to different GM models that used the same part. My best example was finding correct belt pulleys for my 350 off of old GM cars. I had a crossover list, went to the salvage yard and was able to find the correct item on a car rather than a truck. Be prepare to pull the part and wire brush dirt to find the part number. Sometimes you get the part off and then find out it is a different number.

If you enter the different part number, gmpartswiki can show you if the old part number became a different number in later years.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Kinda like if you had a book on how to paint a wall red,you could probably figure out how to use that same book to paint a wall green.
You are taking a lot for granted with this statement...:Big Laugh:

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I am fortunate to be able to write those cheap manuals, only better.
I still may pull a book once in awhile, especially for torques.
It is no shame.
If you are not sure, look it up.
When you get to the point when you know most of it, them your body starts to revolt.
Wrench and enjoy the results.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
I have a Chilton manual for my truck, but I've never actually used it. Ths website and youtube have really been all that I've needed.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think this is the first vehicle I didn't have a manual for. So simple and straightforward like any other GM of the era, no need for a book.
Though, man, I'd like to have one just for specifics like torque specs and such

RandyE

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I have a Haynes for square body. It’s easily the worst manual I’ve ever used. Very limited electrical diagrams. Most of the stuff I need is not there. I’ve had other Haynes that were awesome. Not this one. This site is by far the best source for information. That’s my experience anyway.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I have a Haynes for square body. It’s easily the worst manual I’ve ever used. Very limited electrical diagrams. Most of the stuff I need is not there. I’ve had other Haynes that were awesome. Not this one. This site is by far the best source for information. That’s my experience anyway.
Yep, great site here

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I found an actual shop manual for my 84 GMC on ebay, fairly cheap. Pages are falling out, but l love it. Just wish some of the images/drawings in it weren't so dark, but it's better than nothing.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I agree that the Haynes manual for our trucks is of limited utility.

The big problem for me is that our trucks went through so many different model years and configurations, 60% of any manual is completely not relevant to any given truck. I have a C10, and don't need info on 4WD, BBC 454 engines, L6 engines, Dana60 axles, and most of all, G-SERIES VANS!

The best thing to do is to get one of the PDF manuals from GMSB right here, make a few e-copies, then go through and DELETE all the pages that don't apply to your specific truck. For the Illustrated Parts manuals, which I find the most helpful, this cuts almost 75% of it out, makes the file much smaller and easier to load on a phone or old "shop" computer.

That said, the archived manuals here at GMSB are the best resource I have found for these vehicles. Great thanks to all who scanned and archived all this info.

BRetty

PS -- Once in a wile, I am floored by how hard it must have been for an automaker in say 1974, to keep track of the millions of parts and configurations, spanning many decades and different plants and suppliers, with the extremely limited computer resources of the time. Looking at some diagrams, I get frustrated then I remember they were hand-drawn and literally pasted-up with hot wax onto press-sheets to be printed and physically mailed out to Dealers and Service Centers.... The fact we have any info at all is some kind of True Miracle. let's not lose it. B

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK