Anyone recognize this lift? What is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So I just rescued this ol' 1977 K10, and it's got a lift on it that I don't know much about...

I'm not much of a lift guy, and originally thought I'd yank it all out. However, the body on this truck isn't necessarily in show condition, so it might be a fun little knock around rig.

It's currently wearing TEN shocks. Six up front and four in the rear. Just replacing shocks is going to cost me a grand! Haha!

What do I call this? Spring lift? Shock lift? Is it done correctly? Worth keeping?

What are your thoughts on it?

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'm not sure what lift it is, but when these trucks were newer, this was all the rage. People added multiple shock mounts and axle trusses all the time. Do the shocks have a label on them? I know Super Lift used to run yellow shocks and had mutiple shock kits like this.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but do you get a lot of bump steer? The pitman arm appears to have a downward angle. If so, it may not have a raised steering arm that would prevent that.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
it's not running/driving at the moment - so I can't really answer that.

The previous owner supposedly drove it all over the place, but I really don't know how it behaved.

Good to know that it may be something I can solve....

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
How difficult to REMOVE the lift kit entirely? Do you see anything that's irreversible? Something that cannot be easily UNDONE?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Looks like a standard spring lift or add a leaf in the front and a block lift in the rear with added shock mounts front and rear.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I bet that rides rough with all of those unecessary shocks. Possibly Fabtech?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
what you have is front 4 inch front lift springs it looks like, stock rears with a block, added shock hoops with added shocks.

You can remove any of it, remove u bolts and rear blocks, reinstall current springs in back without block, get new shorter/stock u bolts.

Front replace lift springs with stock springs, and remove the shock hoop and added shocks.

You want to know how much lift it is? a good rule of thumb is to tape measure the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame, stock in front is around 9 inches and 11 in back, now of course springs sag, so it might be not as cut and dry as 4 inch. being 13 inches in front and 15 in back.

As far as brand on the lift very hard to tell without finding numbers stamped into leafs in front. Most are just painted or stickers and those fade or wear off over time.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Right on.

If everyone is in agreement that it will ride terribly, then I'd like to pull it now. I think it would look super cool, but likely ride horrible and be expensive to bring back to life with ten shocks. Shazaam. Plus, it seems like I see great deals on 31" tires almost daily, but 33" and 35" tires get expensive pretty quickly.

Where would you look for stock springs? Local salvage yards? Is that where you'd start?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
bad thing is any used springs are gonna sag, best bet is new, but new aint cheap, you can buy lift springs cheaper then new stock ones. From what I saw one shock in front is in the stock location bolted on the frame remove the hoop and th eones on it leave the other, out back you have a dual shock mount you can remove it and bolt on only one to the axle per side.

I'm honestly thinking about geting a dual shock kit for the rear of mine and maybe a dual shock kit or something like you have in front, so if you take it off keep it somebody will buy it. If not me then someone else. I like the old 90's show truck look with tons of shocks etc.

You could find them used and probably fairly cheap but the might be sagging badly and you may have to get a front add a leaf to try and bring it up.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
That might be a 3" lift. The front springs appear to be fairly flat. My 79 had a 4" lift and the front springs were arched, even with a heavy winch bumper. You have teflon pads between the springs, as well as, tapered leaf springs which help the ride. I added ORD's greaseable shackles and their sway bar disconnect kit. It really helped the ride. See links. I'm added them to my K30. Factory springs have a negative arch and really don't ride that great. I would keep the lift, but just run 1 shock at each corner.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/swaybarkit.htm

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Keeping the lift but just pulling the shocks is an option that I'd not thought of; man - you guys are BRILLIANT! Just one more reason why I love this place....

The front shock towers should just unbolt. They're not welded in, no cutting, etc. That should be simple. The rears can be cleaned up easily as well.

I'll head over to the tire/rubbing discussion, but with a 3"-4" lift, I can see 33" tires looking straight AWESOME and not causing me too many headaches. Any validation on this thought? I have access to some 35" tires, but that seems like it may be just a bit much for this ol' gal.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Here's a few more pics..... steering arm, shock mounts, etc

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the shocks should bolt stock to that bracket and hole behind where it is now on front.

Also they have no steering correction for the lift, your drag link should be completely flat, can't tell if it's angled or not.

You can run 33's stock and all the way up to 4 inch lift or whatever.

You may be able to do 35's f you run stock wheels or close to stock wheel specs.

My first thought was leave lift remove shocks but didn't know if you wanted it lower, some do, and when you said 31 I assumed lower or else they'll be alot of tire gap.

I see rough country high velocity on those shocks and from the looks of it they must be prety old. The label logo wise anyways.

Pull em off, and let us know like I said I was thinking of getting the dual brackets front and rear anyways. I wouldn't mind to have em at all.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Rule of thumb for offroading with minor trimming is,
Wheeling: