Anyone know what this is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
so I got my parts to rebuild my instrument cluster on my jimmy. After I pull out the cluster I find some more bad wiring from the previous owner. This white wire that is cut is all the way to the left of the inside dash. Can’t figure out where it goes to or what it might be for? It goes into a rubber grommet and then I don’t know where it goes from there. Also found this thing right under my ash tray that has several splices that I would like to eliminate. Anyone know what this is for?

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The first picture is a light housing. It's connected to the dome light. It's supposed to illuminate the floor area. The wire on the left is probably the wire to the dome light switch in the door jamb.

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Awesome! Thank u for the info. I greatly appreciate it

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Do uou by chance know what the bulb looks like in that light housing? Or am I missing a part of the housing? I would like to repair it and make it functional again.

Also does anyone have a wiring diagram I could use? I pulled the light housing and noticed 2 white wires were cut off from behind. im assuming one goes to the door switch that you mentioned on the driverside and the other to the passenger side. Wouldn't mind fixing the wiring and making the lights work if I can figure out what the previous owner cut up.

thank you

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You're lucky my dash is torn apart right now. I know my '85 is a little different from your '80. The door pins on my truck has two wires on the driver's side, but I recall my '79 only having one. For you truck, both door jambs should have a wire white. These are grounds. When you open the door, the door switch closes the ground circuit.

In photo #1 this is the harness behind the ashtray door that goes to the floor light. There are a total of 4 wires on mine. 2- white, 2- orange. In photo #2, the yellow arrow points to the orange wire (hot wire) going to the back of the light. The red arrow is the orange (hot wire) to the cigarette lighter.

If you take your gauge cluster out it will be easier to see where the wires exit/connect. I recently worked on my headlight switch and I recall the orange wire returns to it. Also, my dome light has a white and orange wires attached to it. It runs down the driver's side of the cab under the carpet step plate .

The bulb is #1003.

The video I linked explains how the switch works.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Craig I can’t thank you enough! Greatly appreciate you taking the time to post this info. Thank you again

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If I remember correctly, the dome light on my 81 had a orange wire with a plug that went to a battery feed source on the fuse box, a white wire that went across the dash to each door jamb switch, and a splice in the door jamb white wire near the parking brake pedal that went up to the dome light, and another white wire that runs up to the headlight switch. I think there was also another courtesy lamp socket (in the middle of the dash) on the white wire between door jamb switches. Opening either door (or turning the headlight switch all the way clockwise) would provide a ground on the white wire, making the dome lamp light

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thank you everyone who posted on this. I spliced the cut wires as instructed and now courtesy light is fully functional.

I do have another question tho regarding the dome light. I have a small wire that runs down the cab onto the floor and up towards the light switch however the wire is cut as well. I’m assuming this is the wire that splices into the wire that Matt referred to. If so does anyone know exactly which wire I need to splice this into? My dome lights are currently inoperable I’m sure due to this cut wire

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkorich