Anybody sitting on a big 12 incher?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Speaker that is. I don't have room behind my seat for a sub enclosure but, I'm convinced I can fabricate a custom fiberglass box that will fit under the seat. Most 12 inch subs require about .75-.85 cubic feet of volume in a sealed box. I been looking at the shallow mount subs by Memphis and JL Audio. At 4 inches tall, they will fit fine.
Before I start, I was just curious if anyone has done anything under the seat?

varmit86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Had a friend that did it under the rear seat of his crew cab, sounded really good.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Seriously though I don't like the ones under the seat but, that's me. Unless you drive with the seat all the way back there's easily room for a 10 and even a 12.. I had 2 12s behind the seat on my 75 GMC back in high school in a sealed custom box me and my buddy made. It sounded great with a lot of bass.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be a midget? I'm 6' and I have the seat all the way back. If the bass is truly in the correct frequency range you shouldn't be able to tell where it's coming from. If you prefer your bass closer to mid range, it's more directional.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
No I'm 5' 11" maybe 5' 10" at 16. I had the seat all the way back then think I moved it up 1 or 2 clicks. It was a bench. I sacrificed a little leg room but, not much. I wasnt uncomfortable at all. Then we measured the bottom distance from back of seat to rear cab wall then again at the height of the box. I wanna say about 6" on bottom and 3 or 4 on top. Now we had the shape of the ends of the box and made it the entire width of the cab which made it a long box. Then mounted a 12 on each end. Then mounted a horn tweeter on each end facing up and ran each 1 off each sub. Had a preamp eq too. Big thing here was to cruise town showing off your system on Fri night. People would come down from Houston back then just to cruise main street in our little town. It was crazy!! Tons if chics out then! It was the best time!! The police shut it down the year after my Jr year in high school. I'm telling you mine was as good and better than some systems that guys spent a ton of money on
I got all my **** at the flea market for less that $400 including the JVC tape deck. All new stuff too. Lol

If you want more leg room a 10" sounds great also. I have one in the trunk of my 2000 camaro ss and it has plenty of bass. I have buckets in my current truck so when it comes to me putting in the system it will be different for those seats. Already have the 5 channel amp I'm gonna use and 2 6x9's. Just need head unit and 3 more speakers.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I currently have a single kicker 12" behind my seat. Sounds great looks good. And fits well in a custom Sealed box. But i am 5'9" and sit with about 2-3 clicks from the farthest back.

My 86 c20, I had two 10" dvc kickers in a basic sealed truck box and it was even better plus had full range of the seat. I would go back to that setup in a heart beat.

You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm a bit of an audiophile. I've worked part time at a stereo shop for decades. Like everything else, this stuff is a slippery slope. A small upgrade always gets the ball rolling.

I had a 87 El Camino and "elky's" have that "smugglers box" behind the seat. The boss let me use whatever equipment the store had as a demo.
I ended up with 2-15" woofers in a 5th order box along with a 9 piece component set in custom door panels. A 1000 rms (bridged at 2 ohm) amp for the subs, 3 smaller amps, parabolic eq and active crossovers.

The SPL literally felt like it could stop your heart!
Those days are long gone but the itch remains. I am incapable of leaving things alone. Besides, except for the 15 inchers I still have all that equipment looking for a place to live. Thus the saga continues...

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It’s been a while since I’ve put together a system. All I remember from technology 15 years ago was that sound quality is higher on a 10” than a larger equivalent sub. Also, sealed produces higher SQ versus ported which produces more air movement.

I’d like to build a sealed enclosure for a 10” woofer when I get around to putting a stereo in my truck. More for tonal range than bass. I’ll probably focus most of the money on high end mid and tweet component speakers.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Big thing here was to cruise town showing off your system on Fri night. People would come down from Houston back then just to cruise main street in our little town. It was crazy!!

I hear ya! It was the same for me in my small town in Idaho. I miss those days. That's one of the reasons I bought my 85...trying to relive my high school days. Maybe forego the mullett...lol

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I'm a bit of an audiophile. I've worked part time at a stereo shop for decades. Like everything else, this stuff is a slippery slope. A small upgrade always gets the ball rolling.

I had a 87 El Camino and "elky's" have that "smugglers box" behind the seat. The boss let me use whatever equipment the store had as a demo.
I ended up with 2-15" woofers in a 5th order box along with a 9 piece component set in custom door panels. A 1000 rms (bridged at 2 ohm) amp for the subs, 3 smaller amps, parabolic eq and active crossovers.

The SPL literally felt like it could stop your heart!
Those days are long gone but the itch remains. I am incapable of leaving things alone. Besides, except for the 15 inchers I still have all that equipment looking for a place to live. Thus the saga continues...
Would you happen to know how to convert a single speaker system into a multi speaker system? With an analog radio.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had a low profile "truck box" behind the seat of the Toyota I had in high school. It worked okay but not as good as a regular sub box. The more space it has for air to expand the better it will work. The narrower boxes have good clearance but the sound isn't all there. I can only imagine what a 4" deep box under the seat would sound like, especially with a big slow moving 12" speaker in it. Probably better to start looking at some 10 or even 8 inch subs, go with a pair if you're worried about sound. Honestly I always preferred 10s anyways, still plenty of bass but they can hit faster, 12s are only good for like slow pace loud rap music. For anything with double bass or even just other regular bass 10s are better in almost every scenario besides a hugely hard hitting rap beat (or like a bomb going off in a movie on a home theater, for that you'd probably actually want a 15" sub). Even a couple 8s and a single 12 to cover the whole range, use a super low range lpf for the 12 and next to none for the 8s will be great. But yeah back to the main story, I think in a limited space setup a 12 is not ideal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406