Anybody ever have a sticky throttle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
As the subject says, anyone have a sticky throttle, that is not the throttle cable?

When I disconnect the cable from the carb, the throttle cable moves the gas pedal smooth as silk… but when driving, the throttle feels a bit sticky…?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Customblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The carb throttle shaft has an hiccup in it when you rotate it by hand?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
We had to replace the cable on ours when it was about 5 yrs old. It would seem okay, but occasionally stick open. Smacking the pedal with your foot would bring it back. The replacement cable is still on the truck, never had an issue. Also had a customer with the same issue. These were diesels, YMMV.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Is there a s curve in it between the firewall and cable braket? Mine did with the 305 in it and was sticking and stiff. When I put the 454 in it sits a bit more forward which helped take the S curve out of it. Now it's really smooth and don't stick. Just a thought.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Couple of questions:

Is the throttle feel sticky through the entire range of the pedal?

Does only stick in one spot?

As asked above: Does the throttle valve on the carb feel sticky when you rotate it with the cable disconnected?

With the cable disconnected does the pedal feel sticky?

I had a cable on my 76 Blazer that would stick around 1800 RPMs and the cause was the cable cover sticking on the cable itself. It would move freely disconnected from the carb.

You must be registered for see images attach

the larger tube would stick on the smaller tube because there was a worn spot on the larger tube causing it to stick.

Last edited:

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Couple of questions:

Is the throttle feel sticky through the entire range of the pedal?

yes...

Does only stick in one spot?

Seems to feel sticky throughout the range of the peddle

As asked above: Does the throttle valve on the carb feel sticky when you rotate it with the cable disconnected?

I need to re-test this... but I don't remember it feeling super sticky...

With the cable disconnected does the pedal feel sticky?

Disconnected, pulling and pushing the cable from under the hood... it seems to move smoothly....

I had a cable on my 76 Blazer that would stick around 1800 RPMs and the cause was the cable cover sticking on the cable itself. It would move freely disconnected from the carb.

You must be registered for see images attach

the larger tube would stick on the smaller tube because there was a worn spot on the larger tube causing it to stick.

Best place to buy a new cable?

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Update: I ordered a new throttle cable, installed it tonight and no more sticky throttle!

So even though the cable ‘felt’ smooth when disconnected from the carb, putting in a new cable actually solved the sticky throttle cable.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Never had a sticky throttle myself, but my dads dakota, the butterfly valve was actually bent, and would get stuck shut sometimes. Was pressure washing the engine one day, and got it to stick wide open, red lined it, had to shut the key off
And our Yukon with a TBI 350, got the throttle stick wide open when my mom stepped on it to pass someone. Got up to 90, wouldn't slow down. I think she ended up pressing the brake so hard it either stalled out or slipped into neutral. Almost killed her. Gave it a shot of WD40, and its never done it again.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had the same problem before but on another type of vehicle, and like @Blue Ox would stomp on it to get it to free up. It was so weird because the cable seemed fine and like you all, would unhook it and it was smooth as silk, but hook it back up and it would hang. I think it turned out that it wasn't the cable but something was wrong with the carb linkage. Cleaned the carb real well and it freed up but never did actually know what it was, but it didn't happen again so I forgot about it.

Then when the truck I have now had a 2 bbl. on it it would hang up from time to time and I would have to tap it pretty good to get it to release similar to my other car. And like you all, unhooked the cable and it was smooth, etc.. But I never did replace the cable. Just cleaning the carb seemed to do the trick.

So if it's smooth when it's unhooked but hangs when it's attached to the carb linkage, what is causing it? I to have seen those cars with the hard plastic cable housing made all curled in a S shape. Doesn't GM know it's going to wear inside the housing and cause the cable to hang eventually? Hey, I like the carb linkage that is a metal lever that is connected directly to the foot pedal and up to a short piece of cable going to the carb, like the early Chevy's are, ha, ha, ha. It can't hang if there's no fancy cable and plastic housings and what not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank