Any way to replace front wheel studs on k10 without removing hub and bearings??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
Yeah I broke a wheel stud and I'd really rather not monkey with all the bearings and hubs and crap again.

Do I have any choice?

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
Yeah I didn't think so. No other choice.

Oh well actually I already have the hub and bearing off and I've pounded out the old studs and pounded in the new ones. It's going way quicker than I thought it would. To my utter delight, I got the big retaining ring out on the very first ******* try!

I'm just on my computer now to look up the torque sequence and specs for the hub nuts.

"""
1. After lubricating the wheel bearings and the spindle bearings, install the hub-and-disc, and the outer wheel bearing to the spindle.
2. Torque the inner adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds, (60 N-m) while rotating the hub-and-disc to seat the bearings. Use Tool J-6893 and Adapter J-23446 or J-6893-01 for K10, K20; use J-26878 for K30. Back off the inner adjusting nut and retorque to 35 ft. lbs. (47 N-m) while the hub is being rotated.
3. Back off the inner adjusting nut again 3/8 turn maximum. Assemble the drag sleeve retainer washer over the axle shaft against the bearing adjusting nut (Item # 3 0 , Fig. 3C-6K). The tang on the inside diameter of this washer is assembled in the keyway of the spindle. The pin on the inner nut (Item # 3 1 ) MUST pass through one of the holes in the retainer washer. Assemble and tighten the outer lock nut to 217-310 N-m (160-205 lb. ft.).
Hub assembly should have .025 to .254 mm (.001 to .010 inch) end play.
4. Install the locking hub assembly. Refer to hub assembly and installation procedures.
"""

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I replaced the studs on my Camaro without pulling anything by using a giant C clamp and a giant impact socket. I pushed on the stud so that it would push into the socket, then did the reverse to push a new one back in. No pounding needed. I did have a ton of room for it all though, so this may not have helped you.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Inner nut just cinch it down good and tight. I think I did it to around 35-45lbs and made sure it didn't drag or bind very much. Then I put the washer with the pin in and rotated the inner washer to a point where the pin would fall into place.

Outer washer I just torqued to 150ft/lbs no need for more than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell