Any way to identify year of production?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I know this may sound like an odd question, but I currently have no sure way to identify the year my burb was built. There is no build plate as it appears to have been removed - most likely when it was imported into Australia. At the time there would have been age restrictions on importing vehicles and it has been registered as an 81. However the previous owner(who had it for 17 years) said its an 88 and I found a 89 service manual in the love box. Any ideas of a sure way to identify year of production?

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I know this may sound like an odd question, but I currently have no sure way to identify the year my burb was built. There is no build plate as it appears to have been removed - most likely when it was imported into Australia. At the time there would have been age restrictions on importing vehicles and it has been registered as an 81. However the previous owner(who had it for 17 years) said its an 88 and I found a 89 service manual in the love box. Any ideas of a sure way to identify year of production?

Is the VIN plate still on the dash?

The year of manufacture is coded into the VIN: 10th spot from the left (or 8th spot from the right): A=1980, B='81, etc. J = 1988; K=1989

Also - there is a significant difference in the front end and side appearance between an '81 and '88/89, as shown in the next post.

Barring that you could look at the some of the date codes on components or print dates on some of the stickers (tune up labels and such) or find the original (secret) VIN on the top of the frame rail.

K

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
'81 Suburban:

You must be registered for see images attach

'88 Suburban:

'89 Suburban:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I looked at your pictures and based on what I see it's an '89. I had an '88 and my interior was the same as most '81 and ups. You have several things that point to an '89. The door panels have a different trim design, the dash trim has the wood grain and your steering wheel is different. The obvious is the grill and side trim.

If it's registered as an '88, that could be a clerical error. My K30 is an '85 model year, but was built 11/84. My wife's Audi is a 2015, but was built in 2014. The DMV screwed up and registered her car as a 2014. I don't know if the GM Heritage Center tracks export vehicles, but you can get the invoice sheet for your vehicle.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=3

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
My K30 is an '85 model year, but was built 11/84.

This would be correct for that model. The 1985 model year started in September of 1984 calendar year.

My wife's Audi is a 2015, but was built in 2014. The DMV screwed up and registered her car as a 2014.

That sounds like a boo-boo.

I don't know if the GM Heritage Center tracks export vehicles, but you can get the invoice sheet for your vehicle.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=3

The Heritage Center would have the invoice (as it was built in Flint, Michigan) but it would be under the original GM VIN, not under a field installed or "state issued" VIN if that is the case here.

K

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This would be correct for that model. The 1985 model year started in September of 1984 calendar year.

This ^^

All car manufacturers use September to August as the model year unless a particular vehicle is a special early or mid year release.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I looked at your pictures and based on what I see it's an '89.

Agree. Found the pics on the other thread (based on your post) and it's definitely either an '89 or has been significantly updated to be trimmed out as an '89.

K

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Is the VIN plate still on the dash?

The year of manufacture is coded into the VIN: 10th spot from the left (or 8th spot from the right): A=1980, B='81, etc. J = 1988; K=1989

Also - there is a significant difference in the front end and side appearance between an '81 and '88/89, as shown in the next post.

Barring that you could look at the some of the date codes on components or print dates on some of the stickers (tune up labels and such) or find the original (secret) VIN on the top of the frame rail.

K
The Vin that I have has a B in the 10th spot - Where is the location of the VIN on top of the frame rail? I'll see if that lines up

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The Vin that I have has a B in the 10th spot - Where is the location of the VIN on top of the frame rail? I'll see if that lines up

It's on the top of the frame rail under the body. You'll need a mirror and some luck to see it (unless you have the body off).

I would check the left hand side in the area of the rear door.

Is there a SPID label in the glovebox?

K

Last edited:

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
It's on the top of the frame rail under the body. You'll need a mirror to see it (unless you have the body off).

I would check the left hand side in the area of the rear door.

Is there a SPID label in the glovebox?

K
Cheers, I'll check that out tonight after work. Yes I do had a SPID label - I'll have a look at that one tonight also

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Ok, this matches the vin plate thats on my firewall and seems to match my current specs apart from the clock. I assume this is the number on the chassis frame you guys are talking about. That number does not seem to line up with the other vin numbers at all

Sent from my GT-S7275Y using Tapatalk

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
What's the last picture of?

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
What's the last picture of?
Re-reading the post - I have no idea where that number come from as I realise the VIN is on top of the rail not the side. I can only assume its come from when the vehicle was imported?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes