Any thread on putting disc brakes on an 1981 GMC K2500 14 Bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1981 GMC K2500 that I am making into the Fall Guy truck. It has the giant drum brakes in the rear. Did you guys make a video of how to swap to disc brakes on the 14 Bolt FF rear end? I would like to read the thread on it if you guys have already made one. Thanks again fellas. This is an awesome website. How do I go about getting a membership? Where do I pay for one?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Now days the most economical method is to just get one off a late model 2500 GM truck. They come with an LSD and disc brakes and you can buy a whole one in decent shape for a few hundred bucks. After that all you have to do is install the correct proportioning valve up front (for a disc x disc setup).

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
There’s a ton of write ups here,other forums.Including parts lists and directions.

I purchased my brackets from SKY’s offroad.It has the built in bends for clearances and alignment,(ultra beefy as well).I wanted something w/o spacers.The master cylinder,calipers and discs was got from rock auto and brake lines from offroad design.The proportioning valve from summit.

I took the long way around,but my system works really well.I’m happy with it.I regularly pull a 6000# travel trailer (with trailer brakes) no problem.

You’ll have to do different lug studs (longer).I believe.I remember having to replace mine for some reason with that disc brake conversion.

ak4life

alaskan born, fed and bred.....lol.
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
81/84 gmc, 2001gmc, 2003 gmc, 2005 chevy
Truck Model
longbed squarebody, longbed 4dr extended cab, yukon sle, 4dr ext. cab
Engine Size
383, 6.0, 5.3, 5.3
Now days the most economical method is to just get one off a late model 2500 GM truck. They come with an LSD and disc brakes and you can buy a whole one in decent shape for a few hundred bucks. After that all you have to do is install the correct proportioning valve up front (for a disc x disc setup).
exactly what rpcraft said you will eliminate many headaches and variables by getting a newer stock one that was fabricated at factory, including e brake setup....and no bolt on plates....no sloppy studs, no confusion about which rotor.....etc.. and will be totally cheaper.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg