Any K series Longbed with nv4500 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just want to know what rear driveshaft setup you're using.
One piece shaft or two?
My measurements indicate I'll need a 64 inch shaft which seems way too long. A two piece will require fabbing an x-member that I'd rather avoid.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe this heavily depends on the trans you replaced and the transfer case your using.

When I do the swap in my truck 700r4 and np208 I'd be keeping the 208 which would not need relocated therefore could use the factory driveline.

Iirc two piece and one piece drive line is all based on length and end angle of the drive line but I'm not too sure.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you're replacing the 700 with a 4500 you're going to lose about 11 inches. How you gonna fill that gap?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Let me rephrase that. I don't know the overall length difference between a 700 and a nv4500 w/ bellhousing.

I currently have a 400/208 combo.

The 11 inch loss I have is from losing that huge slip yoke snout off the back of the 208! I'm swapping to a fixed yoke 205.

Dat b my issue.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Is there an adapter between the t-case and trans? Iirc, the trucks that came with the 465/208 combo ran a 1 piece rear shaft, but there was a 10"ish adapter between trans and t-case. I would think that would be a similar setup, but honestly haven't seen a 4500 in one of these trucks in person.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you're replacing the 700 with a 4500 you're going to lose about 11 inches. How you gonna fill that gap?

CSFJ hit on it. There would be an adapter from the back of the trans to the t -case the length of the adapter idk. The 208 would also require having the input shaft changed to one that matches with the nv4500s output shaft. I'm not 100% myself on the length comparison but from all of the researching I've done on the swap the r4 and NV come out to the same length when all said and done.

With yours. I'm assuming your crossmember will need to be relocated already going from the 208 to a 205 but I don't know that for sure. I contacted the people at www.high-impact.net who basically gave me a very solid and straight forward plan to go about the swap as well as the parts I'd need. They offer adapters just like AA does, I'd imagine they have something or at least some info that could help you out.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
This is the trans with the t-case adapter. It's shorter overall than the 400. But the big difference in length is the fixed yoke 205 vs the looong slip yoke on the 208. It's an 8 inch or so difference. I know I have to move the Cross member forward.

That leaves me with a driveshaft length of 64 inches. Some places I've checked won't make a one piece shaft that long.

I might have to go to a big 4-5 diameter aluminum shaft to use a one piece that long. Or else....a two piece shaft and fan up an x-member for the carrier bearing. That's what I really want to avoid.

Last edited:

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is the trans with the t-case adapter. It's shorter overall than the 400. But the big difference in length is the fixed yoke 205 vs the looong slip yoke on the 208. It's an 8 inch or so difference. I know I have to move the Cross member forward.

That leaves me with a driveshaft length of 64 inches. Some places I've checked won't make a one piece shaft that long.

I might have to go to a big 4-5 diameter aluminum shaft to use a one piece that long. Or else....a two piece shaft and Dan up an x-member for the carrier bearing. That's what I really want to avoid.

64" does seem a bit long I think some of the newer 4 door trucks use that length but just like you said the large aluminum ones. I wonder if the 4x4 crew cabs use a two piece? The aluminum might be the way to go, even though I'm sure they come with a large price tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84