Any 9V6 Gunmetal Gray Trucks Out There??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys, I have a 9V6 color coded 1985 K10 which is called Gunmetal Gray. I have yet to see another OEM gunmetal gray K10 Of this era out there. Tons of aftermarket paint job but none original. The GM brochure states that this color code was only for the Astro mini van during his time so idk why mine got so “lucky”. I did find out that the 1985 Outdoorsman Edition K10 Was offered in this paint code, but as cool as that would be, I feel pretty confident that this one ain’t it. Did they offer custom paint choices back then? Curious to see another one out there! Post a pic if you have it as mine is painted white right now and am wanting to go back to OEM. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@Mr Neutron Thats the only other time I’ve seen that paint code is with the outdoorsman edition. Is there a rpo code saying that it’s an outdoorsman? Maybe mine was too! Nice to see!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '88 Suburban was originally that shade of gray. I don't know if the code is the same, I've got the newer style SPID with a 4-digit paint code.

It's not the charcoal gray that stands out to me, but rather it's not a two-tone scheme with a secondary color.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
My '88 Suburban was originally that shade of gray. I don't know if the code is the same, I've got the newer style SPID with a 4-digit paint code.

It's not the charcoal gray that stands out to me, but rather it's not a two-tone scheme with a secondary color.
Please post the SPID.

K

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Please post the SPID.

K

I believe it's this one. It's too cold and rainy outside to make sure, lol.

Charcoal was the main color, dark blue was the secondary.

Mr Neutron

Reaction score
First Name
Florian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Can't find it, it must have been removed because the only other thing in the glove box is the pickup camper instruction sticker.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Found these on google images

Attachments

• IMG_9227.jpeg
    IMG_9227.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9228.jpeg
    IMG_9228.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 14

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I believe it's this one. It's too cold and rainy outside to make sure, lol.

Charcoal was the main color, dark blue was the secondary.
Thank you for taking the trouble to post that -

It's not the same as the OP's.

The RPO code for your primary color is 90U (where "U" = upper, or primary). 29L is your secondary color (where "L" = lower, or secondary).

90U = Steel Gray; 29L = Midnight blue metallic

www.gm.com/content/dam/company/no_search/heritage-archive-docs/vehicle-information-kits/chevrolet/1988-Chevrolet-Suburban.pdf

The WA numbers have always existed but were not included on the SPID previously. They are really what one cares about, because they are the actual recipe for the RPO called out; that is:

90U = 8798

29L = 7349

If they hadn't told you that on the SPID you'd have to do some off line research to try to come up with those in order to match the paint on your truck.

K

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Did they offer custom paint choices back then?
Yes - you could order a special color back then, but typically not as an individual.

If you had a small fleet going then GM would honor a request for a special color (like Ryder trucks, or Penske, or Mary Kay, or Caterpillar or whatever).

They would load a small paint pot, separate from the main paint system, in order to paint that run of trucks.

After it was done they could purge and clean that smaller separate system without affecting the main line.

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Hey guys, I have a 9V6 color coded 1985 K10 which is called Gunmetal Gray. I have yet to see another OEM gunmetal gray K10 Of this era out there. Tons of aftermarket paint job but none original. The GM brochure states that this color code was only for the Astro mini van during his time so idk why mine got so “lucky”. I did find out that the 1985 Outdoorsman Edition K10 Was offered in this paint code, but as cool as that would be, I feel pretty confident that this one ain’t it. Did they offer custom paint choices back then? Curious to see another one out there! Post a pic if you have it as mine is painted white right now and am wanting to go back to OEM. Thanks!

So - having said that - it's taken me a while to develop an opinion on this, because I sure don't remember an "Outdoorsman" package.

The structure of the option code (9V6) is not a normal RPO (Regular Production Option). The RPO codes are an alpha character followed by numbers, usually, like C60 (air conditioning) or N67 (Rally wheels).

It looks more like an SEO to me (Specialty Equipment Option). Those are number-letter-number, like 9C6 (Police Option) and are used by the fleet and special order group to designate the small vehicle runs in the fleet world. Typically this is done for Medium Duty trucks rather than Light Duty trucks.

Normally what I see is YH6 (Bonus Value Option) for special things like Spring Specials (economizer price savers and the like). The YH6 option gets reused a lot for that and normally people have YH6 but have no idea why. It is interesting to me that both options appear here.

So I would posit that the YH6 and 9V6 options combined are what creates the "Outdoorsman" package. Maybe even a regional release which might explain why I don't remember it.

I bet you have an Outdoorsman and didn't know it, especially if the stickers have gotten lost somewhere along the way.

K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes