Another starter wire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Guy's just picked up a 80 model k10 4x4 and some of the starter wires were burnt of, (owned this truck years ago) anyway the two into one red war with the fusible link goes to the big stud, then small wire to small stud on solenoid, then I have two more wires there that are small and cant really make out the colors, maybe brown looking ? could these be for a sending unit or choke ?, sorry guys I have looked around but cant quite figure it out, and also the two red wires that go into one with the fusible link can you buy that wire, the single wire that comes out has broke and I'm just splitting them for now just to get it going. THANKS!

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes now that I had a little more time and some good light I got the truck running, now for tail lights and gas gauage, when thing that did bother me was one of the starter wires (red) is hot all the time, was thinking that they were just dead until you turned the key switch, not the right wording I was looking for, but thought power just came from battery then when your cranked the truck they energized, still not right but maybe ya'll got my drift lol. THANKS!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
It sounds like you have a few extra wires that are not needed.

Stock setup usually has the large cable from the battery on the big stud, and then two fusible link power wires also on that stud.
There is also a purple 12 gauge wire for the starter solenoid activation, and there might be a ground wire on the starter.
My truck also has a third small gauge power wire connected, but I think that’s for the ammeter gauge shunt in early trucks. My dash gauge never worked, so I replaced it with voltmeter.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
...one thing that did bother me was one of the starter wires (red) is hot all the time, was thinking that they were just dead until you turned the key switch, not the right wording I was looking for, but thought power just came from battery then when your cranked the truck they energized, still not right but maybe ya'll got my drift lol. THANKS!

All of the wires on the large terminal will be constant hot because the big wire comes from the battery and the terminal connects them together.
The purple is switched from the key when turned to START only.

Check your dash lights - they are fused with the tail lights so if both are not working it is probably the fuse. Or do none of the lights (tail/stop/turn/back/license plate) not work?

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No tail lights and the dash lights are super dim, going to check the fuse this afternoon then go from there, THANKS!

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh blinkers, stop etc are working

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well got tail lights sorted, bad wire where they tied in trailer lights, now driving it tonight and the dang headlights start flickering, new switch btw, it's like there getting hot, turn them over for a minute and there fine for a mile or two then start again ?

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well I can rule out the dimmer switch so far, just courious why it does it when they have been on a while ? could the voltage regulater do this and still charge the battery ? THANKS!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well I can rule out the dimmer switch so far, just courious why it does it when they have been on a while ? could the voltage regulater do this and still charge the battery ? THANKS!
is your brights switch intermittently making contact or the wires intact

also, belt to your alternator? doesy our needle bounce around? what kind of alt/how old you got on there?

hows your charge wire

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well i switched back to my old switch and it stopped, reason for changing it was because of the tail lights, now on to the dash lights, working on getting cluster out now, seems to be a pain, all the screw are out must be missing something ?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Well i switched back to my old switch and it stopped, reason for changing it was because of the tail lights, now on to the dash lights, working on getting cluster out now, seems to be a pain, all the screw are out must be missing something ?
Probably hung up on the speedometer cable. Make sure it has enough slack in the engine comportment to pull through the firewall enough for you to unplug it from the back of the cluster

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks buddy getting back on it this afternoon

Fillpot

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Guy's looks like there has been a little hacking going on behind my dash, working on the dash lights, can some one tell me what feeds the light circuit, wire I guess it's in with the bundle that comes into cluster plug ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara