Another NP203 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My rig has had the part time conversion kit done and has begun to experience the common disengagement from 4x4 when driving. I've had this disengage violently when driving 30mph and don't wanna tear everything up, so if I'm not plowing I just drive in 2wd.

I also feel and hear some slop in the transfer case when shifting from R-D and back. U joints are new so that leads me to believe the transfer case chain may be stretched? Either way I'm thinking after this plow season I may drop the TC and have it gone through and rebuild the part time kit.

What are my options for the replacement part time kit? Only Mile Marker?

I'm not interested in converting to a diff transfer case for what this truck is used for.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Milemarker sells a part-time conversion that includes only four crown gears (the 502 kit), and that is probably what you have. They also used to sell a part time conversion that was a replacement shaft kit, and it was supposed to be much more durable. However, they appear to have discontinued it, since I never see it in the catalogs. This article shows a picture of the shaft conversion kit. http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/new-process-203-transfer-case-tech-20599.html

Milemarker also used to sell a chain-saver kit, which is supposed to work to fix a stretched chain. However, that also seems to be gone from the catalogs.

Bruce

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sorry I’m not real fluent an 203s. Dana 20 and 208s sure I will tag someone who might know way more then me on the subject. @crazy4offroad @bucket @MrMarty51
IMO a 203 is only good as a doubler for a rock crawler stacked on a 205. Unless you're trying to keep the truck factory I would lose the 203 for a 205.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
IMO a 203 is only good as a doubler for a rock crawler stacked on a 205. Unless you're trying to keep the truck factory I would lose the 203 for a 205.

That seems to be what a lot of people say. But when considering this is a snow plow rig only for my son's fledgling business and gets about 3,000 miles per year on it I can't justify the TC swap out. If the replacement conversion kit was only going to last a short period of time (I have no idea, asking here) then I might consider the swap.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used to think my 203 wanted to screw around but NOW I think the "slop" is in my Dana44.

Check it out.

More investigation wouldn't hurt. For sure the part time unit needs replaced, but the chain does not jump teeth so maybe there is some slop in the front end.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The easiest solution is find another 203 and replace it but they're all getting long in the tooth. If it's just an old rotten plow truck that would be the WTG. If you weren't a gazillion miles away I could help yall with the 205 conversion, I have some parts. I doubt a worn out front axle would cause the tcase to pop out of 4wd.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Milemarker sells a part-time conversion that includes only four crown gears (the 502 kit), and that is probably what you have. They also used to sell a part time conversion that was a replacement shaft kit, and it was supposed to be much more durable. However, they appear to have discontinued it, since I never see it in the catalogs. This article shows a picture of the shaft conversion kit. http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/new-process-203-transfer-case-tech-20599.html

Milemarker also used to sell a chain-saver kit, which is supposed to work to fix a stretched chain. However, that also seems to be gone from the catalogs.

Bruce

Thanks for the article. It would seem the shaft conversion is the way to go, but a quick search yields nothing available in the market. I suppose a guy would have to get lucky and find one just laying around, or perhaps a complete NP203 with the shaft conversion already done.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
You could probably switch to an NP208 with little fanfair and just update your driveshafts. It's a lot simpler to start over with the part time four wheel drive and rebuild that than a unit that has an amalgamation of a kit and original parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell