Another episode of whats this connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a new wiring harness but they are still not year or accessory specific. Kept all my original wiring, with most of the ends and connectors being in great shape. At the point of figuring what I'm keeping and what I need to recreate. Some of these pics might be front-back of the same thing.

Just wondering if you fellas recognized any of these? I'm guessing #4 is for cruise control? Question about #8 is...is this a ground or 12V single wire? It goes to the brake light I am assuming. ?!

Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok I'll take a crack at some of this stuff.

#4. Agree, probably for cruse.
#5. According to my references the number Z-2940 printed on it indicates that it is a relay for the A/C control valve.
#6. Is the cruse control module.
#8 Yes it is just a ground that completes the circuit for the brake light, so just one connection like that is normal.
#9 is the horn relay.

Hopefully I've been of some help. For 1, 2, 3, 7 if you can get #'s off of any of those I can look them up. I can almost read #7, but not well enough.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I like to splice that #8 wire to a switch. Brake lite defeat. You can use your imagination as to why this can be beneficial.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok I'll take a crack at some of this stuff.

#4. Agree, probably for cruse.
#5. According to my references the number Z-2940 printed on it indicates that it is a relay for the A/C control valve.
#6. Is the cruse control module.
#8 Yes it is just a ground that completes the circuit for the brake light, so just one connection like that is normal.
#9 is the horn relay.

Hopefully I've been of some help. For 1, 2, 3, 7 if you can get #'s off of any of those I can look them up. I can almost read #7, but not well enough.

Thank you! Anything I can find out is priceless at this point. These have been out of the truck so long i vaguely remembered where they went. My original harness was a complete mess so no help there either.

I like to splice that #8 wire to a switch. Brake lite defeat. You can use your imagination as to why this can be beneficial.

Older Volvos had 'rear fog lamps'. Euro headlamps had the extra side marker that also came on with them....picture having your hazards on but they aren't blinking. They worked very well in dense fog.

But yes.....I used them a time or 2 how you're thinking as well. :hat:

So I take it that single wire is a ground? Or is it 12V and the switch is already grounded?

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
#4 could be the kick off switch for the torque converter lockup on a 700-R4. Is there a non-electronic rear drive 3 speed GM automatic with TCC?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
#4 could be the kick off switch for the torque converter lockup on a 700-R4. Is there a non-electronic rear drive 3 speed GM automatic with TCC?
Yes there was a TH350C, which was a TH350 with a lockup

This one had a 700r4.
I did not think of that when we were talking earlier. I think, but do not know that the lockup kick out, and cruse kick out use the same terminals. And the brake separate.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The open space in #9 is for the 4 way flasher. The hose right of #4 is the vacuum cut off for the cruise control.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Doppleganger,

That #8 is the brake light disconnect so when you put your emergency brakes on the brake light doesn't come on and stay on. You'll notice the copper looking tab at the bottom of that white plastic switch housing follows the plate with the teeth on it, and as that plate gets onto that copper tab it unmakes the brake light. So I think it's a ground going back to the brake light switch above the brake peddle.
Yeah, it comes in handy when you're trying to make a get away and don't want anyone following you to know you're getting ready to make a quick turn, don't use the brake peddle, use the emergency brake peddle to brake and have your hand on the tee handle down there to release it as soon as you make your turn. Better yet, pull the tee handle while you're pressing down on the emergency brake peddle. That way your brake lights don't come on when you're slowing to make your turn. Sound like I've done that a few times? Who me??

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Will be interesting to find all the connections for the cluster. The new harness has no allowance for a factory cluster - but I kept all my original wiring for pigtails, connectors, etc. I'm considering keeping the factory gauges for cost, so have to figure out how to tie them into the new harness.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg