Another 4500 swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angusdevil

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
454/sm465/205
K, I've already done a quite a bit of research but the whole back history in the world of GM is missing from my knowledge bank so sorry now if some of these questions are elementary.

My truck is as follows....

82 K30 454/sm465/205

I got the truck to build up, restomod, tool around town and eventually go beat on it offroad. The sm465 has to go! I'm trying to put together a parts list right now before I sell off my other truck (05 Dodge diesel). I can actually snag a Chevy NV4500 that has a first gen Chevy V-8 bellhousing, throwout bearing, and clutch fork. If it's a big block housing, will this work? If it's a small block housing, I'll have to scoop up the one from AA.

The NV4500 doesn't come with a tailhousing adapter either so I assume I'll need to get another one of those....

OR

Would it just be better to order this and call it a day?

http://www.nv4500.com/product_info.php/cPath/3144/products_id/24275

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
COUGH CHOKE SPIT DAMN that's expensive!! That would definitely be the easy way but they sure make you pay through the nose for it!! You wont like my opinion, which is keep the SM465, practically bulletproof. I cant see needing 5th gear to "tool around town" or offroading. This will free up money for more important offroad mods, like a winch, lockers, tires, gears, etc.

angusdevil

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
454/sm465/205
Ya, just looking at the price was making me feel violated. Other suggestions? The offroad goodies will be much further down the road once I get my tacoma baja-proofed. Until then, the SB is going to be my DD (no I don't care about mileage all that much) but having a 5sp would definitly give some more options and prep for the build further down the road.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Well if you're dead-set on it I would look for an NV4500/NP208 already together at a junk yard or in a truck someone is parting out. Be sure to get the driveshafts too while you're at it, although it's hard to tell what kind of custom driveline work you're going to be needing. You may be able to get by with some combo u-joints if you can get the lengths to fit, as long as you don't push that big block too hard, and don't come cryin to me when you lose 3rd and 5th!! :lol: Hang on to that SM465/NP205, when it finally becomes your trail truck you will want them back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara