another 16.5 post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size
really, whos idea was a 16.5 inch wheel? how did this come to be? "Lets go bigger Bob. I like our 16 offering but 17 is to big." I'm so curious as to how this happened! And then the tire companies went along with it.

BTW, is anyone still making 16.5 inch tires? asking for a friend.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Who invented the 16.5? Probably the same guy that invented split rims.

With respect to availability; if you're looking for big tires, sure there's plenty out there but for little tires not so much.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'll see your question and raise you one equally inexplicable.
17" wheels on trucks basically came into being when the brakes wouldn't fit under 16" wheels. And now, about 20 years later, 17s are not super common as most HD pickups are 18s or 20s, although most base model and steel wheel models are still 17s. Here's the question. With 17s being the wheel of choice for well over a decade and still standard issue on some models, why did heavy load rated 17" tires basically cease to exist as of a few years ago?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Who invented the 16.5? Probably the same guy that invented split rims.

With respect to availability; if you're looking for big tires, sure there's plenty out there but for little tires not so much.
I think but do not know that John is in the right direction on this. Keep in mind split rims were originally invented so a guy could remove and replace a tire with little more than a sledge hammer. Trucks got them BC a farmer might need to remove and install in a field. And this was back in the bias ply days. I think safety concerns with the 16.5 is really what phased them out.

More importantly than, does someone still make a 16.5 (I'm sure there are some specialty tire companies still making them.) Where would you find someone willing to install one. The chain tire stores won't wanna take on the liability that's for sure. If your going to do it yourself please make sure you get some training somewhere so you live though the process.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
16.5's are still available from Firestone to name one, some for trucks, more for trailers and lots for skid steers. My '74 had 16.5's with one piece rims.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
16.5's are still available from Firestone to name one, some for trucks, more for trailers and lots for skid steers. My '74 had 16.5's with one piece rims.
I knew Firestone was still making 9.00 R16.5 about 10 years ago but I wasn't sure they were still in production good to know.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Maybe it was a military thing...I hope somebody knows the answer, to why they were made. I have 3 trucks with 16.5s on them.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I knew Firestone was still making 9.00 R16.5 about 10 years ago but I wasn't sure they were still in production good to know.
I've had numerous 36 & 37 Super Swamper, Goodyear and BFG's that were used on Hummers. We could get as many as we wanted for free locally (Ft. Bragg) until some "entrepreneurs" started putting them on CL and Marketplace years back. My tire pile has dwindled significantly since and I'm scared to use many for nothing more than rollers due to their age(s). I have not been successful in finding much out there for the ole 16.5's; it's a shame too because I know several of us seasoned folks have some nice sets of wheels for these applications. Good luck in your hunt.

Strickland

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Maybe it was a military thing...I hope somebody knows the answer, to why they were made. I have 3 trucks with 16.5s on them.
They were VERY prolific back in the 60's as split rims mostly and in the 70's as heavy duty applications, You'd find first split rims and later on non-split rims in 3/4 ton 1 ton, motorhomes and such. Very common. I don't think 16" was a thing back in the day and until you got into medium duty 16.5 was simply the largest there was.
I've had numerous 36 & 37 Super Swamper, Goodyear and BFG's that were used on Hummers. We could get as many as we wanted for free locally (Ft. Bragg) until some "entrepreneurs" started putting them on CL and Marketplace years back. My tire pile has dwindled significantly since and I'm scared to use many for nothing more than rollers due to their age(s). I have not been successful in finding much out there for the ole 16.5's; it's a shame too because I know several of us seasoned folks have some nice sets of wheels for these applications. Good luck in your hunt.

Strickland
Hadn't even thought of that....

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
At a minimum, Goodyear still makes them for the HMMWV. They use a two piece rim that can be bolted together for easy field service.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
They were VERY prolific back in the 60's
The truck in my description is dad's '79 that he bought new. It had the two-piece wheels on it that he ran the bias ply tires on until the early 90's. The wheels on it now came from an '86 K20; he rode them until he couldn't drive any longer. The 16's are much more user friendly for this application anyway.

Strickland

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I have a set of 4 16.5 wheels if anyone wants them. PNW.
With the appropriate hub caps.

My guess is they're going to get sent to recycling

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Was a replacement for 16" split rims. At the time 16.5 was very desirable and way easier to work with. It could have been the steel available wasn't strong enough for 16" single piece wheel. Weigh a split rim, then weigh a single piece wheel, lots more steel in a split rim.

Early 16" tires could not be run without tubes, and most were bias ply. Later on, 16" tubeless bias ply and tubeless radials became available along with single piece rims.

16.5 fell out of favor because of the lack of a bead lock and the new 16" design could carry more weight.

I think it was a design evolution. Not a single person or company decree.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
16.5, 19.5, 22.5 I believe was to signify a truck tire with a higher load range.

I had 16.5's on MY K5 when I went to the D60/ 14b FF set up.
I considered going to 17's or larger but the cost of tires was too much for how little I drove the truck.
Up until 3-4 years ago I could buy new military surplus for $80 a tire. Hard to beat that. I haven't checked the prices recently.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All the ".5" sizes (14.5, 16.5, 17.5, 19.5, 22.5 and 24.5) share a bead design that makes it easier to change a tire on the side of the road or in a field without any special tools. Only the 14.5 and 16.5 sizes have fallen out of favor for various reasons, whether deserved or not.

People often say it's because they were unsafe due to not having a safety bead. But that is ignorance because there were a lot of GM factory truck wheels that were 16.5" and utilized a safety bead. People often say that 16's are safer due to a safety bead, but there were many factory truck wheels ('94-'01 Dodge come to mind) that did NOT have a safety bead.

Personally, I like to do tire work myself and easily without a tire machine, so I wish 16.5's would make a comeback. I know it won't happen, but I can still hope. And yes, I know you don't NEED special equipment to mount/dismount the non-.5 sizes , but it is not always very fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey