Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coz3z3

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hopefully this is in the right place. I am attempting to install a CS144 alternator in my truck. I have a serpentine pulley kit in my truck already. The Summit 340500
You must be registered for see images attach

I have purchased a new TuffStuff alternator to install in it. The bracket that I have with this is too small as the cases for the CS144 is bigger. I can not a bracket specific for the alternator and was hoping to get some suggestions. I am running quite a few things that I needed something with a little bit more output. The CS144 is quite a bit cheaper than finding a 10SI that is capable of running higher amps.

Thanks

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Punched steel is rigid enough and once you have it dialed you can shape it and paint it.

The picture you have shown is a V-belt setup, however...and those need tension adjustment unlike a serpentine setup.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Punched steel is rigid enough and once you have it dialed you can shape it and paint it.

The picture you have shown is a V-belt setup, however...and those need tension adjustment unlike a serpentine setup.
Those don't look like vbelts. I think that's an adjustable serpentine set up

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Those don't look like vbelts. I think that's an adjustable serpentine set up
I learn something everyday! does serpentine reference the shape of the belt (flat with longitudinal ribs versus wedge with lateral ribs) rather than the routing (a single belt snaking through all engine components)? I always thought v belt style referred to the multi belt setup, but I barely know my ass from my elbow, lol

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Serpentine is a multiribbed flat belt , vbelts are just like they are named. Don't sweat the small stuff , as long as you know how to work on them it's all good!!! I think you know more than you let on!!!

jetmech

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I always called it a poly v belt. I guess I carried that over from working on industrial engines.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I learn something everyday! does serpentine reference the shape of the belt (flat with longitudinal ribs versus wedge with lateral ribs) rather than the routing (a single belt snaking through all engine components)? I always thought v belt style referred to the multi belt setup, but I barely know my ass from my elbow, lol

You're correct. The term "serpentine" refers to the way the belt is routed.

ser·pen·tine: a thing in the shape of a winding curve or line, in particular.

Because multi-ribbed belts are almost universally used with serpentine drive setups, they have become commonly known as serpentine belts.

Reactions: WFO