Alternative A/C Test Methods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve got the smallest A/C leak in the history of A/C leaks and wanted to see if y’all have ever had this happen to you. When the positive pressure slips below a certain point, the leak stops. Not enough pressure to kick on but doesn’t go totally empty. At rest, it reads 20+ PSI on the low, 25+ on the high. This is partially good because I know my new accumulator and o-tube aren’t ruined since it’s not open to the atmosphere, but it’s impossible to find the leak. It takes a few days to a week for the leak to stop. It’ll hold vacuum indefinitely so I know I need positive pressure to find the leak.

I don’t know if there’s enough leakage to register on an electronic refrigerant sniffer that I don’t currently own. I’m very hesitant to use compressed air and soap bubbles in this moisture-laden, Southern air but worry it may come down to that. Nothing found with a UV leak dye, and the R-134a o-rings, adapters are all new. What would you guys do? I don’t want to arbitrarily replace parts because everything works well, especially the compressor.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Charge with 134 and try a sniffer. Otherwise inert gas to pressurize the system, but still need some way to identify the leak if it comes out

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had an evap with same issue before. Eventually sniffer picked up on a leak coming from the air vents after sitting for a while

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Use a sniffer (infrared type is preferred) and if you have no luck then inject it with dye.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes on the dye. Our shop doesn't use sniffers any longer. Most leaks today are too small to locate that way. Add dye and charge it up. Use a black light to locate the leak. Usually a 1/4 ounce is enough for a single ac system. Run it for a while, look for visible green. If leak isn't located wait a day, run the system and keep checking. I can assure you it will become visible. Be sure and check the compressor especially on the bottom, use a mirror if needed. Have found many case seal leaks. Try not to spill any dye. Take a hose off or a schrader valve out and if needed hook up a vacuum pump to suck it in.

edit
Also look at the condenser very closely have seen a bunch with small holes or fractures especially at the inlet and outlets.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes on the dye. Our shop doesn't use sniffers any longer. Most leaks today are too small to locate that way. Add dye and charge it up. Use a black light to locate the leak. Usually a 1/4 ounce is enough for a single ac system. Run it for a while, look for visible green. If leak isn't located wait a day, run the system and keep checking. I can assure you it will become visible. Be sure and check the compressor especially on the bottom, use a mirror if needed. Have found many case seal leaks. Try not to spill any dye. Take a hose off or a schrader valve out and if needed hook up a vacuum pump to suck it in.

edit
Also look at the condenser very closely have seen a bunch with small holes or fractures especially at the inlet and outlets.

I agree with this 1050%. You may not find it right away, but you will always find it with dye.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

edit
Ya, I still have a sniffer, but it doesn't come out very often.

Remember to check the vents, the floor, even the water that drips from the evaporator if the leak isn't obvious with the die.

GMC trucker

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
1983, 1989
Truck Model
C1500, R3500
Engine Size
305, 454
Insure it’s not a leaking Schrader valve. It’ll hold vacuum for weeks as long as the gauge manifold is hooked to them. That would be a quick and easy fix if so.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@1987 GMC Jimmy If you cannot find the dye anywhere around the system, then the leak is in the evaporator. Locate the condensation drain, and shine the light there. If the leak is in the evaporator housing, the condensation will rinse it to the drain. Remember, black light, yellow glasses on your head.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
The darker it is during the search the better.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
The leak will appear as an oily spot, dye comes in handy when trying to distinguish one oil leak from another. As said earlier if no leak shows up on the engine side the evaporator would be suspect. Check the condenser and lines for any sign of oil at all. If the system has been retrofitted to 134a and a PAG oil was used, the PAG oil is a corrosive and may have taken out the evaporator, common problem when PAG oil was first introduced with 134a refrigerant

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If your test ports are vertical(ish) I like to fill them with liquid to look for bubbles. I have fought those damn schraders a lot. Even new ones.

Usually have to depress them a few times with a screw driver (be gentle!) to get them to seal up.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
The cap Is the primary seal

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The cap Is the primary seal

Actually no. The cap is a glorified dust cover. The Schrader valve (or rubber ball valve in many newer applications) is the primary seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128