Air intake hosing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atekido

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Afternoon folks, I recently got this 83 C10 5.7l rwd from my grand father. One glaring issue right off is the original air intake plastic has pretty much broke apart you can see where i just used some tape to kind of give it some strength to keep its shape.. He found the accordion hosing as I call it where its an oval shape on 1 end and a circular on the other. that is connecting to a tubular plastic that is falling apart. I so far have had no luck on finding replacement hosing/connectors. it fits over what appears to be nearly a 3 inch circular intake hole behind the front grill. anyone here have any recommendations on websites that would have replacement parts or even any DYI intake setups that would work. I thought about just fabbing up some PVC piping that the accordion piping could fit around and clamp over. and than i could use some kind of rubber coupler from the PVC to the metal inlet where its pulling air from. I'm ears to any ideas. ill attach a screenshot. and ill get a couple more pictures of the inlet behind the grill. ALso i circled the what I guess ia aluminum piping that goes from like the manifold or something of the engine to a 2" or so inlet into the intake as well. no idea what that is called but its been crunched pretty bad so i know its not flowing great. any help on what this part is called and its function would be appreciated. IT kind of surprises me they would design the intake to pull such hot air from the engine... or maybe its to help cool the engine? I don't know haha.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
LMC carries the correct fresh air duct replacement for a small block #38-4359 $25. The aluminum tube (pre heater) is $10. Second photo is the one I had in my '79. It's the shorter version on the left. Yours will look like the one on the right with a longer snout.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/cc-1973-87-air-cleaner-components

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Someone will probably come along and say you don't need that stuff and you could just switch to an aftermarket air filter housing without the hoses, but I would strongly encourage you to keep that stuff intact and here is why. The hose to behind the grill is obviously for cold air and the on that goes to the exhaust manifold is for hot air. The little thing on the air cleaner with the vacuum line attached to it is called the thermac and is a temperature device which mixes the incoming air to 90 degrees. Effect is faster warm up, so choke can open more quickly, and for best fuel atomization. Basically it helps the engine run better in cooler weather and hot weather by regulating the temperature of the air coming into the carburetor. When I got my truck it had an aftermarket air cleaner on it, and someone from this forum sold me his used stuff factory stuff.

Atekido

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Thank yall so much! I am glad there are those of yall out here that have knowledge on these. It makes me not stress quite as much as im trying to tackle all the projects on it.

Reactions: WFO

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Craig 85 for me with the open element I had a little bit of a ruff idle when cold below freezing, but in warmer weather say 80F+ I'd have a little trouble with hot starts, but the big thing was I'd have trouble with a ruff idle, and if it was hot enough it would load up at idle in traffic. All that stopped when I put the factory air cleaner and intake hose back on.

Atekido

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Well now lets see if the order ever moves past "processing" its been showing that now for 2 days :(

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
LMC carries the correct fresh air duct replacement for a small block #38-4359 $25. The aluminum tube (pre heater) is $10. Second photo is the one I had in my '79. It's the shorter version on the left. Yours will look like the one on the right with a longer snout.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/cc-1973-87-air-cleaner-components

what defines the tube needed?
does it work for applications which have the air cleaner on the other side(uh.. i believe the inline 6s and.. diesels??)
I want to get one for my truck because the low speed usage and cold ass weather use would probably like me if I did that

Is it based on the shape of the cover in the core support?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
what defines the tube needed?
does it work for applications which have the air cleaner on the other side(uh.. i believe the inline 6s and.. diesels??)
I want to get one for my truck because the low speed usage and cold ass weather use would probably like me if I did that

Is it based on the shape of the cover in the core support?
Hopefully someone else will give you a better answer, but I think you are right, shape of cleaner / core support. I know some of the 70's modules came factory with a tube that was almost cloth like with wire reinforcement. If I had one of those I'd try to get a plastic one to fit because they are so much more durable.

As for the exhaust tube, that's the exhaust pre-heater tube and is very universal. You should be able to get that by measuring the diameter of the connection on the air cleaner and approximant length.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hopefully someone else will give you a better answer, but I think you are right, shape of cleaner / core support. I know some of the 70's modules came factory with a tube that was almost cloth like with wire reinforcement. If I had one of those I'd try to get a plastic one to fit because they are so much more durable.

As for the exhaust tube, that's the exhaust pre-heater tube and is very universal. You should be able to get that by measuring the diameter of the connection on the air cleaner and approximant length.
i meant from the left to the right. the one has a longer plastic hard pice to the core support, im just wondering what defines the longer Stand-out vs shorter and if side was any indicator of it.(presumably flipped upside down would serve the opposite side, for a v8. )

v6(Hey maybe a 4.3l v6 needs a longer?) or inline which i believe sets off the driver side further...forward.. the engine bay?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
i meant from the left to the right. the one has a longer plastic hard pice to the core support, im just wondering what defines the longer Stand-out vs shorter and if side was any indicator of it.(presumably flipped upside down would serve the opposite side, for a v8. )

v6(Hey maybe a 4.3l v6 needs a longer?) or inline which i believe sets off the driver side further...forward.. the engine bay?
I can't answer those questions. I gave you what I have for info. Obviously there were a lot more 250 inline 6 cylinders put in these trucks over the 4.3, but I will say if I guy or gal was looking for relatively decent mileage in a full size truck I can see how the 4.3 would be a great fit.

Atekido

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
GOt the intake on. Man it was a pita since the new intake was so stiff. the only thing now is as I was putting on the aluminum heat extractor hose or whatever its called from the engine to the underside of the intake its basically the exact same diameter as the intake inlet so it doesn't go in it or over it. ill have to either come up with some kind of coupler or something.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
GOt the intake on. Man it was a pita since the new intake was so stiff. the only thing now is as I was putting on the aluminum heat extractor hose or whatever its called from the engine to the underside of the intake its basically the exact same diameter as the intake inlet so it doesn't go in it or over it. ill have to either come up with some kind of coupler or something.

Look good. Like I was saying all my air intake hoses were gone on my truck when I bought it. My stuff came to me used from a member here and like you it was a PITA to get on the first time, but has been much easier since. That "Aluminum heat extractor hose" is called the preheater tube or hose. If it's the same size as the intake you should get the next size up, you'll probably need to put a clamp on the exhaust side to keep it from falling off. From the factory there would have been wire type clamps on both ends, but I like to just clamp the exhaust side and because the tube has some stiffness it'll stay up around the intake inlet, but it does sound like you need the next size up.

Atekido

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
SO it actually did fit. I decided to just undo the whole intake on top the carb and then I was able to actually slide it over nice and snug. Used some legitimate "duct" aluminum tape to keep it sealed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr