Air Conditioning Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
SO on the new Jimmy, equipped with factory ac, the entire ac system has been butchered.
This includes practically all ac lines cut and the entire ac compressor is gone. What would be the best way to go about this; remove as little as possible and yet still have heater capabilities? Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You can check out my suburban thread if you want, I did an ac delete on my 84. I'm not sure how in depth I went but it should have been a decent bit. I should be able to answer any questions after that

Edit-pages 19-22 has pictures and some detail, and some banter

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Everything has worked great, my only problem is that sometimes the blower motor will run on the highest speed for like a minute to 30 minutes, it's never the same, then it will shutdown the blower motor completely. All three other speeds work perfect and I have no issues.

I believe that either my relay is bad orrrr I had to pick a spot to mount my resistor block as there are no provisions, it needs airflow across it or they will burn up. I believe that when that little coil heats up, it makes contact with the firewall and shuts down the blower motor and that circuit. I also have a fuse holder issue on that circuit in the factory bulk head, this is causing me a lot of issues. I need to relocate my power source for now till I do a wiring harness. This could be my main issue for the high speed as well.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Everything has worked great, my only problem is that sometimes the blower motor will run on the highest speed for like a minute to 30 minutes, it's never the same, then it will shutdown the blower motor completely. All three other speeds work perfect and I have no issues.

I believe that either my relay is bad orrrr I had to pick a spot to mount my resistor block as there are no provisions, it needs airflow across it or they will burn up. I believe that when that little coil heats up, it makes contact with the firewall and shuts down the blower motor and that circuit. I also have a fuse holder issue on that circuit in the factory bulk head, this is causing me a lot of issues. I need to relocate my power source for now till I do a wiring harness. This could be my main issue for the high speed as well.

sounds like alot honestly. Any way i could plug the hoses and such at the accumulator and keep the housing? in other words keep some old stuff but clean it up and never use it? hypothetically....

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
sounds like alot honestly. Any way i could plug the hoses and such at the accumulator and keep the housing? in other words keep some old stuff but clean it up and never use it? hypothetically....
Yep that's for sure possible, that's half of these old trucks with a/c on the road today anyways. I slightly glanced over the "remove as little as possible part" lol

You don't need to plug off any of the a/c components for your hvac to work properly. Just make sure the box is sealed good around the firewall and around the evaporator inlet and outlet are sealed well. These are the only two openings to the outside world. The heater core inlets as well.

Then my only recommendation would be to snip the light green wire off and and seal it up so it doesn't arc or whatnot. This wire comes out of the main a/c harness and this is what tells the compressor to do it's thing, is unneeded for the hvac to function with heat only.

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Yep that's for sure possible, that's half of these old trucks with a/c on the road today anyways. I slightly glanced over the "remove as little as possible part" lol

You don't need to plug off any of the a/c components for your hvac to work properly. Just make sure the box is sealed good around the firewall and around the condenser inlet and outlet are sealed well. These are the only two openings to the outside world. The heater core inlets as well.

Then my only recommendation would be to snip the light green wire off and and seal it up so it doesn't arc or whatnot. This wire comes out of the main a/c harness and this is what tells the compressor to do it's thing, is unneeded for the hvac to function with heat only.

okay sweet, are there special plugs/caps i can buy for the accumulator? where the holes come from (i'll obviously eliminate all the hoses)

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
okay sweet, are there special plugs/caps i can buy for the accumulator? where the holes come from (i'll obviously eliminate all the hoses)
I meant to say evaporator instead of condenser in my last post.

Honestly I would just remove the accumulator to clean everything up a bit. Then I wouldn't worry about plugging any of the lines or inlets to the accumulator or evaporater, the reason I say this is, looking at your truck these components have been open to the elements for a while, in that case they would have to be replaced anyways to reinstall a/c, not just because the hoses are messed up, but because the inside of these components have to be very clean. The evaporator is basically the same principle as a heater core, it just works for the a/c instead of the heat.

Use 3m strip caulk for the outer box to firewall seal, and also use it for plugging the holes around the heater core inlet and outlet, as well as the evaporator inlet and outlet.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
This is my 79, my grandpa owned and I grew up in this truck. Factory a/c but the pump was ditched and brackets were swapped with non a/c power steering brackets, as well as the lines to the pump, so not as butchered as yours. All of that since before I was a small kid, and the heat has never failed in that truck. The a/c part has been open to the elements for yearsss but the heat has never had an issue.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine was butchered when my son got it, and he then pulled everything off that was in the engine compartment, including the box. I pulled the cab side plenum box out of a non-ac parts truck and swapped it into my ac truck, complete with the controls.

Then on the engine side, I just swapped in the non-ac blower housing and made a block off plate with a removable panel for swapping the heater core if necessary. Pretty simple swap and heat works well..The only thing I had to go back and change was the new heater core location was a bit different from the a.c. Version, so I had to cut a hole in the firewall for air to circulate through the new core.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I also lied to you about what pages the content was on.... lol more drunk than I thought i was

pages 19-22

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Honestly I don't know what I'm doing wrong anymore, I think I changed some settings. And that's what's changing the page orientation for me.

Now I don't even know how it works if we have different settings. If it would show up the same for you as it does me.

I apologize for the wild goose chase:rotflmao:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I also lied to you about what pages the content was on.... lol more drunk than I thought i was

pages 19-22

just now looked at your engine sizes, i think you may know a thing or two about 350s XD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128