Air box diverter connector link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have been working on changing the heater core in our '90 Suburban and now that I have the air distribution box out on the bench, I decided to try to fix that diverter/connector link thingie that is broken causing the air to come out the dash vents all the time. I ordered a new connector link from LMC and now I am not sure how to get the little rivet pin thing that holds the plastic part to the little arm. Does anyone know how it comes out? It is ribbed and doesn't want to move when I tried lightly hammering on it. The new plastic part didn't come with a new pin, so I really don't want to cut it or wreck it.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Why not just put a large washer under the head of the screw?

I don't know how to get the pin out. Can't remember ever trying.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I just replaced mine last year and I don’t remember exactly how I got it out. I think I may have just cut/broken up the plastic with diagonal pliers so the pin was free. It didn’t want to slide at all when I tried to pull it out.

I mangled the pin when taking it out, so I just used a nail the same diameter and ground the blunt cut end at the bottom so it flared and would not pull out.

Bruce

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
i used a plier with top part on the plastic piece and bottom on the pin to squeeze and push the pin up. then i could just pull the pin out the rest of the way. replacement went in with the plier to push it down.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
i used a plier with top part on the plastic piece and bottom on the pin to squeeze and push the pin up. then i could just pull the pin out the rest of the way. replacement went in with the plier to push it down.

I did this and it worked. Thanks for the suggestion. On another note, make sure you know where the heater control cable is before you bolt the air distribution box back in. I pinched my heater cable between the box and the firewall and kinked it. Now I have to find a different cable. Argh! :banghead:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes