Aftermarket Ring and Pinion/Diff. Who do you buy and why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I know im gonna have to update the aforementioned parts once I finish the motor swap. I currently have a 10 bolt and open diff.
What I would like to hear from you guys on is who makes the parts YOU trust and WHY. WHat brand do you back.
Any information concerning problems by brand; or just what NOT to get is welcome.

I will be ordering the parts relatively soon( two or three weeks) so if anyone here is a vendor I welcome that info as well.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve had good luck so far with Motive Gear ring/pinion/master rebuild and will continue using that until it burns me, but rear end shops I’ve talked to also say that’s the brand they use. Shop around for the best price, but National Drivetrain’s eBay store seems to be that depending on your ratio and rear end.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I've used Richmond gears in several builds. Last one I used a Detroit true Trac differential. Better than standard limited slip plate posi.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've heard good things about Motive.
I've used Richmond for many thousands of miles with no problems.

A LOT of discussion has been going on in the web about Richmond and US Gear now being made in china but I have NOT confirmed this.

That's all I can tell you.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
A LOT of discussion has been going on in the web about Richmond and US Gear now being made in china but I have NOT confirmed this.

Richmond is for sure made in INDIA and US Gear still claims to be US made. US Gear is now owned my Meritor INC located in Troy Mi.

Thats just the kind of info I want as well...thank you. I dont want to spend money on some chineesium crapshoot with no QC or after purchase support.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Motive Gear is made in Italy. Thas a spicy meat-ah-ball!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yukon gear is supposed to be made in the US.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Its looking like Yukon is trying to be shady about their manufacturing to me. I dont like that at all. They state that they have an in house engineering dept but then go on to say "in partnership with world leaders in manufacturing" leading me to believe that they outsource to india or china. They certainly aren't proud of it or they would mention it to their consumers.

So far it looks like US Gear is about the only ones left that are actually US GEARS.

I know many of the parts on my truck are likely outsourced to someone at some point but I want to spend my money as close to home as possible. Even if it means spending more money.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Certain companies say “in partnership” because it depends on the “grade” or line you buy. If you opt for the cheaper gears you get chineesium. But let’s be real. China has been buying our metal scraps for years. So odds are it was once American steel.
I have used Richmond gears before. Maybe the metal was stamped in China. But the money goes to a company in the states. So in my opinion, it’s helping our economy.
why I continue to use Richmond is their customer service. It’s the bees knees. They’ll talk to you until you’re satisfied. Offer their tips and tricks and not think twice about it. That’s an A+ in my books. There are a lot of options tho. Best choice, Get gears and set em up right. If you know what you’re doing. Whatever company you choose will stand by you and make your gears run right.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Certain companies say “in partnership” because it depends on the “grade” or line you buy. If you opt for the cheaper gears you get chineesium. But let’s be real. China has been buying our metal scraps for years. So odds are it was once American steel.
I have used Richmond gears before. Maybe the metal was stamped in China. But the money goes to a company in the states. So in my opinion, it’s helping our economy.
why I continue to use Richmond is their customer service. It’s the bees knees. They’ll talk to you until you’re satisfied. Offer their tips and tricks and not think twice about it. That’s an A+ in my books. There are a lot of options tho. Best choice, Get gears and set em up right. If you know what you’re doing. Whatever company you choose will stand by you and make your gears run right.

First: I do not wish to lean my opinion on you and am not being contradictory. I do however have this to say about steel and china....only because it matters to ME and possibly others as well.

China WAS buying our steel until the last few years. I have an uncle who sells for a metal recycler in bhm al(steel city) and per the new regulations he has seen a shift in the business. trade embargo on china has caused a lot of changes recently. especially since corona. the good stuff(classified) has been tied up in US manufacturing contracts for a few years now. Most of his unclassified steel has sat in bins for the last 10 months and the un culled stuff is just thrown away because he has no room to store it. He used to sell the classified alloy and unculled to china or india but now it just sits. Those same embargoes are why you see materials pricing going up across the board. Raw and processed materials handlers have seen big changes since the new administration.
The general consensus is that the stuff being sold overseas wasnt classified in the us and was not under the restrictions that us steel manufactures have to abide by. this is what leads to fatigue in the metals being produced. too much of one thing or not enough of the other.

India has started sourcing from US, from Germany, and japan so id be more likely to choose Richmond for quality over other brands since those countries produce top notch materials.

I grew up in the IRON city. I used to live under a 200ft tall iron statue of Vulcan the god of the forge, US STEEL is 20 miles from my house. I have a lot of family and friends in the steel business. It hits close to home for me. Otherwise I wouldnt be so damn encompassed by its influence on the economy.

I do appreciate Richmond having a commitment to its trade. They also support the local economies in other great ways like supporting the trail rides and drag racing.

For me its a matter of PRIDE ill admit that. My people make steel better than the rest, so on and so fourth.

Honestly I dont have a frikken clue how to "set up" gears or a diff. Ive never done anything other than axle swaps on a jeep to get the desired ratios. I spend money on tools though...not labor, and im sure the info is here somewhere.
That is why your point is so valid: I will most likley need info ,advice, and support ,LOL.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
First: I do not wish to lean my opinion on you and am not being contradictory. I do however have this to say about steel and china....only because it matters to ME and possibly others as well.

China WAS buying our steel until the last few years. I have an uncle who sells for a metal recycler in bhm al(steel city) and per the new regulations he has seen a shift in the business. trade embargo on china has caused a lot of changes recently. especially since corona. the good stuff(classified) has been tied up in US manufacturing contracts for a few years now. Most of his unclassified steel has sat in bins for the last 10 months and the un culled stuff is just thrown away because he has no room to store it. He used to sell the classified alloy and unculled to china or india but now it just sits. Those same embargoes are why you see materials pricing going up across the board. Raw and processed materials handlers have seen big changes since the new administration.
The general consensus is that the stuff being sold overseas wasnt classified in the us and was not under the restrictions that us steel manufactures have to abide by. this is what leads to fatigue in the metals being produced. too much of one thing or not enough of the other.

India has started sourcing from US, from Germany, and japan so id be more likely to choose Richmond for quality over other brands since those countries produce top notch materials.

I grew up in the IRON city. I used to live under a 200ft tall iron statue of Vulcan the god of the forge, US STEEL is 20 miles from my house. I have a lot of family and friends in the steel business. It hits close to home for me. Otherwise I wouldnt be so damn encompassed by its influence on the economy.

I do appreciate Richmond having a commitment to its trade. They also support the local economies in other great ways like supporting the trail rides and drag racing.

For me its a matter of PRIDE ill admit that. My people make steel better than the rest, so on and so fourth.

Honestly I dont have a frikken clue how to "set up" gears or a diff. Ive never done anything other than axle swaps on a jeep to get the desired ratios. I spend money on tools though...not labor, and im sure the info is here somewhere.
That is why your point is so valid: I will most likley need info ,advice, and support ,LOL.
Well articulated point my friend.
You’ll find that most people here, myself included, aren’t easily offended. Strong lean with beliefs or not. we are all adults and banter back and forth no problem.
I do prefer to find good ole US made parts and materials. But too many people are willing to buy poorly mixed metals from another country. Usually it’s direct from China on eBay and none of that money comes home.
It leaves US based companies no choice but to outsource so they can lower their prices too. Just to stay competitive. While I agree that those of us that are buying US parts are getting a better product. I just wanna be sure that someone doesn’t run from Richmond or even Motive ( I’m positive they have outsourced metals too) just because they offer the lower lines.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
It would seem both Richmond and Motive are both good choices as far as QC and customer satisfaction. Far be it for me to add any opinion there as I have not have one to give.
I havent heard much about US Gear as far as customer service and such.

It does just plain suck that it is almost impossible to be competitive in todays market even when you have superlative intentions.
I am not totally opposed to Richmond due to the obvious depth of their knowledge and commitment to service. That is after all what makes a deal for me in the end.

So what would be considered the better of the Richmond "lines" of products. I assume a simple search to see which is the more expensive option would be telling.

It looks like US GEAR manufactures Strange Engineering products in house as well as a global line called axletech. both made in America
Ive heard of strange before. Both companies started in the same area at the same time so it makes since they are tied together.
Probably gonna go with strange due to what ive found so far. now to decide between a gm clutch type or truetrac ....prolly truetrac

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
Take my advise on true Trac. Last limited slip posi I had in a truck didn't last long. I had to reshim it twice. I have the true Trac in my daily driver. I've put about 14000 miles on it now. Works great

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I run Eaton limited slip and richmond ring and pinion. Both works without issues since years.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I run Eaton limited slip and richmond ring and pinion. Both works without issues since years.

is the eaton a clutch style(gm posi) or worm gear(true trac). Im only going off what ive read but it seems a true trac worm gear style is the way to go. Seems to be a "better,newer,whatever" alternative to the clutch style. Even the Strange inc website says its the newer and better tech. It sounds less complicated and less internal pieces to break. Again its just what ive read.