Aftermarket ECM for TBI / SPEEDUINO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBBURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban SLS
Engine Size
454 7.4L
Im looking for a affordable aftermarket ECM for my TBI which I can tune or is capable of self tuning for E85 Flex Fuel and maybe contains a Flex Fuel Sensor. I want it to be able to advance timing and Fuel output depending on the fuel I put in.

Im a electronics engineer and I have done some research and found a platform i can build on called speeduino based off the arduino mega microcontroller to build a custom ECM. However before I start I just wanted to see if there was anything out there I could use off the shelf.

Now this speeduino pcb protoboard https://www.ebay.com/i/283160153056 is under $200, not a bad price if you have the skills to use it and wire it. You are going to need to:

Program the Firmware
Do all the electrical wiring/splicing
Understand all of the electrical currents/loads (be able to transform and regulate voltages etc)
Add electronic components and modules as needed

If you are a electronics engineer and programmer this should all be pretty basic stuff. In the end you will have a flex fuel TBI with all the bells and whistles for maybe around $300 not bad if you got the time and the skills.

Here in Commiefornia they raised the dam tax on gas. Paying $4 a gallon, no good. Ill get less mpg on flex fuel but the cost is a bout half. I think Ill still be winning and at 100 octane.

Features:
  • Launch control
  • Flex fuel
  • O2 based autotune
  • 8 cylinder engines are supported with wasted spark and 2 squirts per cycle
  • After Start Enrichment
  • Rev limiting (Spark based, hard and soft)
  • Cranking specific enrichment, dwell timing and advance
  • General logging through TunerStudio
  • High speed tooth logging
  • TPS calibration through TunerStudio
  • Sensor calibration through TunerStudio (Coolant, IAT and O2)
  • Warm Up Enrichment (WUE)
  • TPS based acceleration enrichment
  • Tacho output
  • Fuel pump activation/deactivation (With priming)

The OEM ECM is such old computer technology I just couldnt bring myself to try to reflash the chips. Its just too boring and most likely just too damm old. So why not this? Anyone tried it yet? Any off the shelf products? Any interest in this project?

This is just the GPIO Board, looks like a 40 pin ribbon header that would connect to the Arduino Mega controller. Basically all the wires in your car would connect to this instead of your ECM.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I know with the innovate wide band o2 it reads in lambda so it doesn't car what type of fuel you use. You could pair that with a Holley commander system that doesn't have a built in controller. I have one of these is sell. The other option is to get a Holley HP or dominator system.

squarefan

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I cant help with that but I will say my wifes old Impala was flex fuel and while the price per gallon was cheaper her mileage suffered so bad that it wasnt worth it. We were getting gas more often and it ended up costing more to go with flex fuel over regular gas. FWIW

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I cant help with that but I will say my wifes old Impala was flex fuel and while the price per gallon was cheaper her mileage suffered so bad that it wasnt worth it. We were getting gas more often and it ended up costing more to go with flex fuel over regular gas. FWIW

This is my experience as well. E85 isn't worth it in a vehicle....or for the planet given how inefficient it is to turn corn into fuel...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This is my experience as well. E85 isn't worth it in a vehicle....or for the planet given how inefficient it is to turn corn into fuel...

Inefficient sure, but that is offset by the fact that it's a renewable resource. It's made from the byproduct of yearly harvest.

BBBURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban SLS
Engine Size
454 7.4L
I know with the innovate wide band o2 it reads in lambda so it doesn't car what type of fuel you use. You could pair that with a Holley commander system that doesn't have a built in controller. I have one of these is sell. The other option is to get a Holley HP or dominator system.

E85 Requires more fuel flow than regular gasoline. With this setup you would not be able to mix the fuels as this requires a computer to read the % of ethanol/gas and to adjust the fuel flow rate. I want to be able to run both fuels and have the computer adjust the timing and flow rate automatically. A flex Fuel System.

Last edited:

BBBURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban SLS
Engine Size
454 7.4L

That is correct, E85 Requires more fuel flow than regular gasoline so her MPG would suffer. Your wifes impala is probably factory tuned to run on 87 octane fuel, so you wouldnt benefit fromt he power either. You can put 89 or 91 octane in her car but you are just wasting your money there too because it will not advance the timing for the higher octane. E85 is 100+ octane if you have a tune for 100+ octane and your car can handle race fuel without blowing up you would gain a huge amount of power. This is why many hot rods are now converting to e85 for racing. Its the cheapest racing fuel. Unfortunately if you tuned your wifes car for 100+ octane it would most likely explode from the power. Of course if you still insist on wanting to take advantage of the octane in E85 you can always purchase a tuner and tune your wifes impala, many people do: https://www.carid.com/chevy-impala-performance-tuners-programmers/ you might be able to add 100HP to your wifes car with some simple tuning, e85, and some simple bolt on parts like exhaust and intake etc. I am not liable if her car does not last long, but I guarantee you will have a lot of fun!

Last edited:

BBBURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban SLS
Engine Size
454 7.4L
"manufacturers do not tune E85 ethanol-capable engines for higher performance" , an excerpt from from: https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel...ve-fuels/how-e85-ethanol-flex-fuel-works2.htm

You see Flex Fuel vehicles may run on 87 octane 89, 92 or 100 but they are not tuned for it. So youre just wasting your money. They will probably never tune for it either because they are not in the business of making race cars. Race cars dont last long. You would have 500,000 people complaining their wifes engines blew up.

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
E85 Requires more fuel flow than regular gasoline. With this setup you would not be able to mix the fuels as this requires a computer to read the % of ethanol/gas and to adjust the fuel flow rate. I want to be able to run both fuels and have the computer adjust the timing and flow rate automatically. A flex Fuel System.

We did this with an older Holley aftermarket ecm and innovate wbo2. The new hp and dominator systems can be set to us the sensor and add fuel as desired to the map.

BBBURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban SLS
Engine Size
454 7.4L
We did this with an older Holley aftermarket ecm and innovate wbo2. The new hp and dominator systems can be set to us the sensor and add fuel as desired to the map.

Thats pretty amazing I didnt even know that Holley made a aftermarket ecm. Thanks for turning me onto this, I cant afford it but I really like it. It seems like this ECM can do everything I want it to do the only difference is the price. Im going to study this ECM more and try to make one just like it. Thank you!

Features:
  • Works with 4, 6, 8 and 10 cylinder engines
  • Ignition Plug and Play with GM LS engines (non-VVT), GM HEI, Ford TFI, Coyote (non-VVT), 4.6/5.4 Mod Motor, Late Model HEMI and magnetic and hall effect trigger. Custom settings can be configured to allow for use with many other applications
  • Integrated electronic transmission control - Operates GM 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions, Ford AODE and 4R70W with more to come in the future
  • Integrated drive by wire throttle body control - Can control two drive by wire throttle bodies. Compatible with a number of DBW throttle bodies including GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Nissan
  • Integrated dual channel wide band oxygen sensor controls – For monitoring both engine banks (NTK or Bosch sensors)
  • Extensive amount of inputs and outputs allow for limitless combination of options. Allows for unit to be used as a complete data acquisition system as well
  • Twelve sequentially driven 8:2 peak and hold injector drivers, capable of driving up to 24 low or high impedance injectors as a standard feature. Multiple staged injector strategies
  • Twelve channel Distributorless Ignition (DIS) outputs capable of directly driving “Smart” ignition coils or Holley DIS coils. Will drive 2 wire coils with the addition of PN 554-112 high current coil driver module
  • Speed density, Alpha-N, Alpha-N Combination, and VE fueling strategies – Tuner has the option to select from a variety of load sensing strategies to meet their engine requirements or tuning preference
  • Individual cylinder fuel and spark control allows you to unlock your engine’s potential
  • Unique lb/hr based fueling strategy greatly simplifies and commonizes tuning
  • Advanced idle, closed loop, and enrichment strategies allow for very stable engine operation
  • 1-7 Bar MAP sensor capability – For naturally aspirated or boosted applications
  • Fuel Map and Learn Function Smoothing – Helps to smooth rough areas of the maps
  • Configurable User Password Protection – “Lock” your tune to prevent tampering
  • Self-tuning fuel table strategy greatly simplifies tuning process – The more you drive it, the more it learns
  • “Quick Start” strategies – For faster engine starting
  • Allows for use of common OEM sensors as well as custom sensor calibration input
  • Two channel knock control sensor inputs for both one or two wire knock sensors
  • Dedicated fuel and oil pressure inputs
  • Controls both stepper and PWM Idle Air Control (IAC) motors
  • 3 Rev Limiters – Choose between 4 options for each: Fuel Only, Spark Only, Fuel and Spark, or Soft
  • Traction Control – Allows power reduction via timing, nitrous percentage or boost (Requires Davis Technologies Holley Module)
  • Store and select between four calibrations with Multi Map Selector (Part Number 558-407)
  • HARDWARE
  • ECU is fully potted and can be mounted in the engine compartment or interior – See images for dimensions
  • Sealed automotive and marine grade connectors
  • Optional Digital Displays - 7" Digital Dash (PN 553-106) / 3.5" Touch Screen LCD (PN 553-108)
  • 12.3" Pro Dash (PN 553-111) and 7" Race Dash (PN 553-106) features full gauge layout customization, and nearly limitless tuning options.
  • DATA VISUALIZATION TOOLS
  • Data Logger –Analyze and export your data with sophisticated, but user friendly tools – Internal logger has 4 GB of memory
  • Strip Chart – For real-time data viewing
  • Fully Configurable lap top Gauge Panel – Life-like gauge cluster on your laptop screen
  • Racepak Integration Module Available.
  • Data logger - Smoothing, multiple graph view, pre-defined notes fields and more..
  • 8 STAGE NITROUS OXIDE CONTROL
  • Fully featured nitrous control eliminates the need for a separate nitrous controller device
  • Can be configured “Wet” or “Dry” with closed loop feedback
  • Progressive control based on time, RPM, or boost, requires part # 554-111
  • Lean or rich safety cutoff
  • Full timing retard/control configurability per stage based on RPM or time
  • INTEGRATED WATER/METHANOL INJECTION CONTROL

• Uses Holley water/meth solenoids specially designed and calibrated for use with this EFI system to allow the user to enter water/meth flow as a percentage of fuel injector flow for water/meth tuning precision unmatched in the industry
  • Allows for two nozzles to be controlled
  • Nozzles available from 400 to 1000 cc/min
  • Complete control of pump activation, and low system safety features
  • TURBOCHARGER BOOST CONTROL
  • Fully featured boost control capability eliminates the need for a separate boost control device
  • Can be configured to control boost based on time, gear, speed, and manual inputs
  • Gear based boost control configurable by several different methods
  • “Boost Builder” functions offer the ability to assist building boost on the starting line by altering ignition timing, fueling, as well as nitrous oxide activation. Can also be used as an anti-lag function
  • INPUTS AND OUTPUTS
  • 13 - “Multi-Inputs” – Can be configured as a 0-5V sensor input, 0-20v sensor input, thermistor temperature input, or high or low voltage input
  • 30 - 0-5V Sensor Inputs – Configures any 0-5V sensor as well as some can be used as switched high or low inputs
  • 4 - Speed Inputs – Can be configured as a digital (square wave) input or an inductive input
  • 20 - 12v PWM Outputs – Can be configured as PWM or switched 12V outputs. Rated at 2A maximum
  • 16 - Ground PWM Outputs – Can be configured as PWM or switched ground outputs. Rated at 2A maximum
  • All inputs and outputs are programmed using innovative new “Pin Mapping” strategy that allows inputs and outputs to be pinned as desired by the user, allowing for inputs and outputs to not be “wasted” by non-used dedicated functions
  • Configurable for: dual cooling fans (including brushless fans that require PWM signal), dual fuel pumps, AC inputs, basic TCC lockup, and multiple timing retard inputs
  • User programmable caution and warning outputs for all sensors
  • ADVANCED TUNING ICF
  • Fully User Configurable tables, 1D, 2D, 1D Per Gear, 2D Per Gear
  • Tables allow for virtually unlimited dimensional tuning of fuel, spark, boost, nitrous and more
  • User can modift fuel, timing, boost, nirtrous, individual cylinder, ignition dwell, DBW, and more
  • Parameters can be adjusted based on any input, sensor, or time.

Last edited:

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I use a Speeduino in my 71 VW Beetle that I built a efi system for. It is actually very easy to use and is Extremely powerful. I would go as far as saying it is better than Megasquirt. And you can get them cheaper than that eBay link. Buy any speeduino parts from here https://wtmtronics.com a guy named Weaver owns the store, he’s a great guy. Go to the speeduino wiki and forum and you will find any information you need. Also you can PM me with any questions and I will do the best I can to answer them. Good luck!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Thats pretty amazing I didnt even know that Holley made a aftermarket ecm. Thanks for turning me onto this, I cant afford it but I really like it. It seems like this ECM can do everything I want it to do the only difference is the price. Im going to study this ECM more and try to make one just like it. Thank you!

Features:
  • Works with 4, 6, 8 and 10 cylinder engines
  • Ignition Plug and Play with GM LS engines (non-VVT), GM HEI, Ford TFI, Coyote (non-VVT), 4.6/5.4 Mod Motor, Late Model HEMI and magnetic and hall effect trigger. Custom settings can be configured to allow for use with many other applications
  • Integrated electronic transmission control - Operates GM 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions, Ford AODE and 4R70W with more to come in the future
  • Integrated drive by wire throttle body control - Can control two drive by wire throttle bodies. Compatible with a number of DBW throttle bodies including GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Nissan
  • Integrated dual channel wide band oxygen sensor controls – For monitoring both engine banks (NTK or Bosch sensors)
  • Extensive amount of inputs and outputs allow for limitless combination of options. Allows for unit to be used as a complete data acquisition system as well
  • Twelve sequentially driven 8:2 peak and hold injector drivers, capable of driving up to 24 low or high impedance injectors as a standard feature. Multiple staged injector strategies
  • Twelve channel Distributorless Ignition (DIS) outputs capable of directly driving “Smart” ignition coils or Holley DIS coils. Will drive 2 wire coils with the addition of PN 554-112 high current coil driver module
  • Speed density, Alpha-N, Alpha-N Combination, and VE fueling strategies – Tuner has the option to select from a variety of load sensing strategies to meet their engine requirements or tuning preference
  • Individual cylinder fuel and spark control allows you to unlock your engine’s potential
  • Unique lb/hr based fueling strategy greatly simplifies and commonizes tuning
  • Advanced idle, closed loop, and enrichment strategies allow for very stable engine operation
  • 1-7 Bar MAP sensor capability – For naturally aspirated or boosted applications
  • Fuel Map and Learn Function Smoothing – Helps to smooth rough areas of the maps
  • Configurable User Password Protection – “Lock” your tune to prevent tampering
  • Self-tuning fuel table strategy greatly simplifies tuning process – The more you drive it, the more it learns
  • “Quick Start” strategies – For faster engine starting
  • Allows for use of common OEM sensors as well as custom sensor calibration input
  • Two channel knock control sensor inputs for both one or two wire knock sensors
  • Dedicated fuel and oil pressure inputs
  • Controls both stepper and PWM Idle Air Control (IAC) motors
  • 3 Rev Limiters – Choose between 4 options for each: Fuel Only, Spark Only, Fuel and Spark, or Soft
  • Traction Control – Allows power reduction via timing, nitrous percentage or boost (Requires Davis Technologies Holley Module)
  • Store and select between four calibrations with Multi Map Selector (Part Number 558-407)
  • HARDWARE
  • ECU is fully potted and can be mounted in the engine compartment or interior – See images for dimensions
  • Sealed automotive and marine grade connectors
  • Optional Digital Displays - 7" Digital Dash (PN 553-106) / 3.5" Touch Screen LCD (PN 553-108)
  • 12.3" Pro Dash (PN 553-111) and 7" Race Dash (PN 553-106) features full gauge layout customization, and nearly limitless tuning options.
  • DATA VISUALIZATION TOOLS
  • Data Logger –Analyze and export your data with sophisticated, but user friendly tools – Internal logger has 4 GB of memory
  • Strip Chart – For real-time data viewing
  • Fully Configurable lap top Gauge Panel – Life-like gauge cluster on your laptop screen
  • Racepak Integration Module Available.
  • Data logger - Smoothing, multiple graph view, pre-defined notes fields and more..
  • 8 STAGE NITROUS OXIDE CONTROL
  • Fully featured nitrous control eliminates the need for a separate nitrous controller device
  • Can be configured “Wet” or “Dry” with closed loop feedback
  • Progressive control based on time, RPM, or boost, requires part # 554-111
  • Lean or rich safety cutoff
  • Full timing retard/control configurability per stage based on RPM or time
  • INTEGRATED WATER/METHANOL INJECTION CONTROL

• Uses Holley water/meth solenoids specially designed and calibrated for use with this EFI system to allow the user to enter water/meth flow as a percentage of fuel injector flow for water/meth tuning precision unmatched in the industry
  • Allows for two nozzles to be controlled
  • Nozzles available from 400 to 1000 cc/min
  • Complete control of pump activation, and low system safety features
  • TURBOCHARGER BOOST CONTROL
  • Fully featured boost control capability eliminates the need for a separate boost control device
  • Can be configured to control boost based on time, gear, speed, and manual inputs
  • Gear based boost control configurable by several different methods
  • “Boost Builder” functions offer the ability to assist building boost on the starting line by altering ignition timing, fueling, as well as nitrous oxide activation. Can also be used as an anti-lag function
  • INPUTS AND OUTPUTS
  • 13 - “Multi-Inputs” – Can be configured as a 0-5V sensor input, 0-20v sensor input, thermistor temperature input, or high or low voltage input
  • 30 - 0-5V Sensor Inputs – Configures any 0-5V sensor as well as some can be used as switched high or low inputs
  • 4 - Speed Inputs – Can be configured as a digital (square wave) input or an inductive input
  • 20 - 12v PWM Outputs – Can be configured as PWM or switched 12V outputs. Rated at 2A maximum
  • 16 - Ground PWM Outputs – Can be configured as PWM or switched ground outputs. Rated at 2A maximum
  • All inputs and outputs are programmed using innovative new “Pin Mapping” strategy that allows inputs and outputs to be pinned as desired by the user, allowing for inputs and outputs to not be “wasted” by non-used dedicated functions
  • Configurable for: dual cooling fans (including brushless fans that require PWM signal), dual fuel pumps, AC inputs, basic TCC lockup, and multiple timing retard inputs
  • User programmable caution and warning outputs for all sensors
  • ADVANCED TUNING ICF
  • Fully User Configurable tables, 1D, 2D, 1D Per Gear, 2D Per Gear
  • Tables allow for virtually unlimited dimensional tuning of fuel, spark, boost, nitrous and more
  • User can modift fuel, timing, boost, nirtrous, individual cylinder, ignition dwell, DBW, and more
  • Parameters can be adjusted based on any input, sensor, or time.

Holley has been in the efi game longer than any aftermarket I think. They started way back when with the analog projection efi, then came the Commander 950 ( I just switched from one) then the HP/Dominator then sniper and now Terminator and Terminator X.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Are you palnning to run e85 in the burban? If so you would be better off looking at the engine first, if it stock it is low compression and a terrible cam. Ive read the benefits of e85 comes with 11+:1 compression or forced induction engines and is why turbo guys like e85.

BBBURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban SLS
Engine Size
454 7.4L
Are you palnning to run e85 in the burban? If so you would be better off looking at the engine first, if it stock it is low compression and a terrible cam. Ive read the benefits of e85 comes with 11+:1 compression or forced induction engines and is why turbo guys like e85.
Well my goal is to get it running on e85 first then to start tuning and make the most use of this fuels power as possible. If this means changing the cam, heads, or forced induction then im all for it!

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Well my goal is to get it running on e85 first then to start tuning and make the most use of this fuels power as possible. If this means changing the cam, heads, or forced induction then im all for it!
Have you considered fitting an OE flex fuel system in your rig? Say an ecm and fuel module from an L59 Tahoe, Yukon, etc. Parts are plentiful and though not plug and play, could be done on the cheap!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara