Aftermarket doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keithw

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Has anyone purchased the aftermarket doors from Classic? If so how did they fit? I am starting the rebuild of an '86 K10 shortbed and will need new doors.
You must be registered for see images attach

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
All the aftermarket doors I've seen or had where like a lottery. Some fit, some not, no matter which company. LMC offers premium doors, fenders and hoods but I've never seen one of those.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@keithw,

I don't know about Classic but I purchased my passenger side door from LMC and it fit perfect.

Strange though, I got my drivers side door from a wrecking yard off of a '74 Suburban, my pickup is a '74 C10 and after we got it on we noticed after awhile, we didn't notice it at first after it was painted and had new hardware and everything, and after we put the (new) door on the cab that the bottom of the door wasn't the same as my C10. The curve of the suburban cab was wider? at the bottom because the door on my truck stuck out just slightly all across the bottom, that's how we knew it wasn't a misfit. The door was identical to my old pickup door except for the bottom. I wouldn't have thought that GM would make the Suburban cab slightly wider? at the bottom.
Anyone have any ideas why? My simplistic guess is, it's a Surburban not a pickup. Do you think it would be that simple?
So if you look for a door at the wrecking yard, don't get one from a Surburban.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@keithw,

I don't know about Classic but I purchased my passenger side door from LMC and it fit perfect.

Strange though, I got my drivers side door from a wrecking yard off of a '74 Suburban, my pickup is a '74 C10 and after we got it on we noticed after awhile, we didn't notice it at first after it was painted and had new hardware and everything, and after we put the (new) door on the cab that the bottom of the door wasn't the same as my C10. The curve of the suburban cab was wider? at the bottom because the door on my truck stuck out just slightly all across the bottom, that's how we knew it wasn't a misfit. The door was identical to my old pickup door except for the bottom. I wouldn't have thought that GM would make the Suburban cab slightly wider? at the bottom.
Anyone have any ideas why? My simplistic guess is, it's a Surburban not a pickup. Do you think it would be that simple?
So if you look for a door at the wrecking yard, don't get one from a Surburban.
The door mounting holes possibly could have benefited from being reamed and allowed for adjusting the lower part of the door inward while not kicking the top outward or putting inward. I could see just some alignment problems from that stuff, GM is pretty good for having set holes from factory and their service data calling for the holes to be enlarged by reaming, deburing, and then painting to keep from rusting, if there need to be adjustment beyond the factory fit for some reason.

Suspension components on newer cars do that a lot especially for alignment changes and the doors adjustment on my park avenue calls for that procedure in the FSM.

Im not sure about back then tho, is it possible the suburban cab was "bound" on the mounts, like it wasnt set down nicely and tightened but like tightened on one side, a little twist or binding occuring, then running down the other side?There is a lot of flex I imagine that can happen before straight up dents, bends, kinks, etc set in, and also not appear super bad overall.

Im thinking about how if you go over some rough terrain a bed and a cab can do some flex twist etc and everything still comes to a nice rest on level ground.. esp with fords.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I think I'd need to see pic's of what you're talking about, but as far as I know they only made one door for the pickup, suburban or blazer. even the mid size trucks used the same door.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8