Advice on rims and tires needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean2202

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Greetings, I was looking for some advice on tires and rims. What I have is a K20 and I believe it may have a 4 inch lift on it. It was that way when I purchased it. There are blocks in the rear under the springs that measure 3 1/2 inches and there is heavy springs on the front. The current wheels were on it when I purchased it and are of unknown brand. They are OK but I was looking for something with a little more offset so I can run a wider tire. I only drive this truck about 1,000 miles per year so I was considering a beefy mud tire for fun. The tire needs to have a good load rating because I do carry heavy weight in the box from time to time. So what rim offset can I run with a 4" lift with a mud tire without rubbing on the fender? Currently I run 285/75/16 BF Goodrich all terrains that have plenty of tread but sidewalls are getting dry rotted. They are over 12 years old.

Anyone have any luck with these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Thun...RBbT2CC:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!06040!US!-1

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Wider rims usually make matters worse as far as rubbing. I would stick with the same rim and tire size, just go gnarly like the ones on ebay.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I saw the load rating on those are ok, but just keep an eye out on those cheap tires. Some are rated very low and only to 50psi. When I bought my truck it had some chinese knock off tires with that same or very similar tread pattern without siping. I suspect they are popped with different brand names in whatever factory they are made in.

They were loud (which I didnt care about), wore unevenly, and wore down fast. I got about 20k out of them. They did balance fine though.

Take it for what its worth but I dont skimp out on brakes, tires and wipers. Discount tire direct has sales for Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day which usually offer a nice savings. The Cooper ST Maxx's on my truck now were bought from Discount Tire Directs ebay store as a "used" set. They were basically new, seems like the previous owner was very unhappy with them and returned them. I've had them for almost 50k now and theyve been great. They arent a mud tire though.

Basically, I'd stay away from the chinese tires if I was hauling loads or a trailer regularly. If its for a toy truck then sure, why not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg