Advice on Muffler Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahoppj

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet k10 silverado
Engine Size
Just got my truck a week ago and it's got a muffler that needs to be replaced. I'm looking for performance before sound. But like the deep tones coming from the exhaust. I've been sold super 44 flowmaster. Whats your opinion?

THANKS

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have dual 44's on my 350 k10.I like them

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I own;
Dynomax Super Turbo x1
Flowmaster 40 series x4
Flowmaster 50 series x1
The 50 is the last one I bought.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It’s going to be pretty difficult to determine the performance difference on an average hp truck.

The flow masters I’ve seen are chambered. so not particularly for peak flow, but sound really good. There are a number of straight mufflers out there that will flow better than a chambered design.

Primary tube diameter of a long tube header and a properly placed h-pipe will be bigger considerations than the muffler.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I may catch some heat for this comment, but Personally I would skip the flowmaster. I'd rather go with a dynomax or a thrush, based on cost. I just don't think flowmasters are worth what they charge but that's me. And yes straight mufflers flow better, and they are not all the "glass pack" design.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I mean, marketing is never deceptive. Super means its all about ponies, but flowmaster indicates it has achieved perfect flow, one could only extrapolate perfect flow over the right baffling, needed for the best flow, makes the right sound.

Can anyone even tell me otherwise? I think not!

My truck has straight pipe with a **** load of holes, goes through an old ass, probably sooted to no end(rich running for years) glasspack that I confirmed gives it a nice throaty idle, and straight down in the middle of the bed on driver side to the ground. Not a whole lot of muffling going on there. But I think I found the original exhaust he had removed to fit this engine(previously had dual, not sure why he didnt just swap manifolds) and Im gonna see if I cant just make a properly routed and mounted single exhaust without buying all new or used. Id like it to go out back where its meant. or side, maybe it was meant out the side.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have 3" Thrush chambered mufflers. Run over rear axle and out the sides. Very deep mellow sound.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have 3" Thrush chambered mufflers. Run over rear axle and out the sides. Very deep mellow sound.
arent those as normal of a replacement but not application specific of a muffler you can buy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k