Advance Curve kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srfinatsunset

Reaction score
First Name
Remington
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 Camper Special 3+3
Engine Size
Anyone use an adjustable vacuum control and a advance Curve kit on there distributor

The place where my carb is getting rebuilt recommended doing both.
You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I always do..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I lock them in...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What you mean? What performance did you see after putting it in?
For street use keep your advance. I run a boat load of initial timing depending on fuel octane level. I drilled and tapped the centrifugal advance mechanism so it doesn't move. It's easier to go back then welding it like I used to do.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
In my propane engines I run the lightest springs I can find. Pane likes the advance to come on fast. That's all I know and wish I understood more about this topic.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
In my propane engines I run the lightest springs I can find. Pane likes the advance to come on fast. That's all I know and wish I understood more about this topic.
My roller BB likes it all at once with 110+ octane mix. But right now I have it bumped back do to ****** straight 93 in the tank.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have both and think they are the reason for my off-idle stumble. Not that it's their fault, just I don't have them tuned right yet. Both are designed to improve drivability and idle for street-driven vehicles. A lot of factors come into play like cam/engine profile. The centrifugal advance kit comes with 3 different sets of spring tensions, and the adjustable vac advance controls how quickly the advance reacts to vac drop, or case pressure change. I ordered an advance timing light so I can get it right. The vac advance came with instructions recommending turning the adjuster 1 turn clockwise then test drive after each adjustment till spark knock is noticed, then back it off counter-clockwise 1 turn. On the centrifugal advance kit, lighter springs make the advance come on sooner, the heavier springs delay it to higher RPM. Usually the stock springs (or middle weight springs) end up working just fine. For my mild performance engine with Vortecs, the Performer cam calls for 12 degrees initial timing, and the Vortec heads like 32 degrees total advance. Regular Chevy heads are more like 34-38. Most racers will eliminate the vac advance altogether, and remove the centrifugal advance springs and weights completely and wire the advance down so it don't move. This sets your distributor to use no advance. Your initial timing may have to be higher in this configuration so you can achieve higher total timing when you're up on the RPMs. It's a delicate balance though, too much initial timing will give you spark knock/detonation which can damage parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg