Adjustment screws not working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Hey, I'm the guy who's been posting questions about his 84 Chevy k10. Well, I finally got the carburetor rebuilt and most of my vacuum lines sorted out. I'm pretty confident I don't have any vacuum leaks now and I put almost everything back to factory.

I do have a question though about adjusting my 4 bbl quadrajet carb. It seems like no matter how far out I adjust the adjustment screws the rpms keep increasing. All the videos I can find say to let the engine warm up and adjust the screws out until the rpms hit their highest and it starts to bog down, then adjust it back in until the rpms hit their highest again.

Well, when turning out my adjustment screws the rpms just keep getting higher and higher. I stopped because I was afraid of taking them all the way out and gas spraying out onto the manifold. Am I doing something wrong? My choke is opened fully just in case that would have mattered and the engine is fully warm. The truck seems to run fine no matter where I put the mixture screws. I can turn them out 2 turns or 7 and it runs the same, just at a higher rpm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
IMO, you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Is the reason you say you haven’t any is because you verified there are none by spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb and all gasket mated surfaces? 100% certain all vacuum lines are in the right place? No gaskets turned the wrong way on the rebuild? May be a stupid question, but I have done this in the past and blocked a port that shouldn’t have been. It should be sole and it stalls out with those setting. Since it’s not, seems like you’re getting either too much air or too much fuel (a dripping booster). Even timing not set high enough would make someone increase idle speed to compensate, which could or would bring you off the idle circuit. LOL not sure if this make sense to anyone but me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54