Adding new battery cables and terminals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5L NA V8 overhead valves (OHV) 16V
I recently got a new battery and figured since I didn't use the side post style battery truck came with (including side post style connection terminals), I'll need to replace original cables for top mount.

Few things.
I need new battery terminals but not sure if I should use terminals with a few 'inputs' or go with a simple terminal and just add a distribution block?
Another thing is that I cant seem to find the terminal that goes to the starter. It's some 90 degree with tabs that don't allow 'spinning' as you wrench onto the starter. Going to assume this starter is also OEM original.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Depends on how many things you plan on plugging in, I suppose. If only a couple, I'd keep it simple and keep it on the battery.

I changed out my battery and cables not too long ago, and the one that plugs to the starter was just straight, so I had to put an L shaped bend in it and make sure when I tightened it that I held on to it with something so it didn't just turn to the right and touch something it shouldn't.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
As of now, I'd just have main power, CB power, and 1 LED bar power. I may add other LED pods/bar later.
On that starter terminal, yeah I cant find anywhere that carries it. New starters don't have that terminal need so I guess I'll have to make my own.

My main reason on terminals with a few 'inputs' is clean wiring rather than 'stacking' power terminals to bolts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Don't worry about the starter connection, a simple ring connection works fine. The only thing you have to remember is to hold the cable steady while tightening AND loosening it.

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Don't worry about the starter connection, a simple ring connection works fine. The only thing you have to remember is to hold the cable steady while tightening AND loosening it.
I was thinking about just using a regular ring connector, but was worried about any spinning even when tightened.
I guess I'll just go this route.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Put a star washer under the terminal. It will help prevent it from turning once it's tightened.

If you have more than two things, or any one thing that requires significant amperage I would set up a terminal block. At least if the truck isn't just a beater you don't care about.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

I like these you can replace them easy, add or subtract from them easy and I run eyelet eyelet leads to everything. Remember 3 grounds negative to frame negative to body and negative to engine.I daisy chain mine, some people m8ght find fault with that but it looks clean an I like it. Daisy chain, as in eyelet eyelet bat to block 2nd eyelet eyelet from there to frame 3rd eyelet eyelet battery to radiator support

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

I would personally like something to this effect, I havent gotten them but i searched for brass terminals. believe me, brass on brass(northstar battery) is AMAZING for car
I imagine brass on lead is not infallible but its gonna have less corrosion generally, as well as periodic maintenance and cleaning.

Havasu

Reaction score
First Name
Marie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm interested in converting from side terminals to posts also, could you please share what length each cable needs to be? Thank you!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm interested in converting from side terminals to posts also, could you please share what length each cable needs to be? Thank you!
is your alternator on passenger or driver side

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
x2 on the military terminals. those others are a joke. highdesertranger

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
If you have a junkyard near by, the mid 90's trucks and Suburban's have multi post terminal blocks on the firewalls.
I have a few of them in the garage for just such dilemmas.
I have used many of the electrical parts from the newer trucks on my square.

MrPink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size