Adding bluetooth to stock radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So I am moving my speakers from the bottom of the door panels back to the original center dash mount. Got a nice retrosound dual voice coil speaker but before I install it, I wanted to figure out how I can get bluetooth audio into my head unit somehow. I watched this video by cap10323 which was really cool and considered trying, however I kinda want to be able to use the radio as well. Any cool ideas?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Basically the same thing I've always had in my trucks

You must be registered for see images attach

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I think a pretty trick way to do it without having anything seen is by running an FM modulator which will give you an auxiliary input that uses a 3.5 mm (headphone) jack.
You then run a 12v USB plug either hidden for a stealth look or on the dash if you want it to serve as a charger as well.
Amazon sells USB bluetooth dongle that you would plug the fm modulator into.
If you run the usb behind the dash you wouldnt see anything and can leave the dongle plugged in all the time as long as the charger port is wired to an ignition source.

This is obviously a longer, but more wiring involved kinda install but its what I would do if I still had the stock radio so I could keep a stock look. I hate having plugs and wires around my cab.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
Don’t the older trucks just have the cigarette lighter? I didnt think the cigarette lighter was a power outlet on the 73-87 trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, take the lighter out and push the fm transmitter in there. It works perfectly. I used mine all the way home from south Carolina last week in my 86 c30. Just pair your Bluetooth to the fm transmitter like you would any other Bluetooth device and tune your radio to whatever station you dial on the fm transmitter. It takes 20 seconds the first time you use it and after that all you have to do is plug it in. I just leave mine in all the time though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54