Adding a transmission temp gauge to 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
How would I go about adding a temperature gauge for my 700r4 Transmission? It's mostly a curiosity thing. Also what's the safe operating range for my transmission? It's in an 84 K10 with a 305.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
175 or close to it is the gold standard for operating temp. If you go above 200, I’d say that’s too hot. I don’t know how much Dexron viscosity changes from ambient to operating temps, but I know you don’t want a continuously cold transmission either so it has to fight that constantly. If your TCC lockup is working and you’re not pulling anything behind you, you should be right there at that magic number. Unless you tow a lot, I wouldn’t worry about the gauge, and if you do tow, I’d prioritize an external cooler over temp monitoring, but that’s just me. A sender would probably do best in a pressure test port, but you could also tee one into the exit cooling line.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I added my sender into the test port on the drivers sode of the trans then ran wires to a regular ole water temp gauge which i put in the lower left gauge hole. Works well, isn't the most accurate I think the gauge reads 10 over what the trans actually is. Looks decently factory as well.

I second a good external cooler (plate type not tube and fin), but would also encourage an electric fan to be able to ring in the Temps when things start getting too hot.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The best place to put the sender is in the pan. Get a drain plug kit, put the sender in place of the drain plug, it will be the same 1/8 pipe thread. The next best place would probably be the output cooler line, that will read the temp of the fluid leaving the torque converter, that will be the hottest fluid by far. The pressure test port is the worst place, there is no fluid flow. Basically, your reading the temperature of the transmission case. The sending unit needs fluid flowing past it for a accurate reading.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
As long as you keep the radiator cooler, you really can’t overcool the transmission. The ideal temp is 180ish. Short periods over 225-250 isn’t a big deal. If fluid temp is consistently higher, the fluid cooks and varnishes, clutches glaze and slip, driving the temps higher, which glazed things more, it’s all downhill from there.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I for one have been considering a trans temp gauge myself. Good info to know, I had planned on T-ing off of the output line myself.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I for one have been considering a trans temp gauge myself. Good info to know, I had planned on T-ing off of the output line myself.

From some research it sounds like the output line from the torque converter is the best place to add a gauge. The pressure port sounds like the easiest, but doesn't sound accurate. I don't need to know my transmission temperature. I rarely tow anything, but I do haul firewood or gravel sometimes and I just want to know what pushes my truck over the line so I can avoid that.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
175 or close to it is the gold standard for operating temp. If you go above 200, I’d say that’s too hot. I don’t know how much Dexron viscosity changes from ambient to operating temps, but I know you don’t want a continuously cold transmission either so it has to fight that constantly. If your TCC lockup is working and you’re not pulling anything behind you, you should be right there at that magic number. Unless you tow a lot, I wouldn’t worry about the gauge, and if you do tow, I’d prioritize an external cooler over temp monitoring, but that’s just me. A sender would probably do best in a pressure test port, but you could also tee one into the exit cooling line.
i have an external cooler AND a gauge for my 700R4. When not towing, or driving hard for extended periods of time (literally like a half hour or 45 minutes) under normal use it rarely gets above 120deg

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
i have an external cooler AND a gauge for my 700R4. When not towing, or driving hard for extended periods of time (literally like a half hour or 45 minutes) under normal use it rarely gets above 120deg

Where did you put your sending unit at?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The hottest I have ever seen the trans in my Olds get is right at 200. That was in 90* temps, pulling a small U-Haul trailer on drag week in 2015. The curvy hilly road Hot Rod made us take meant 40-45 mph tops, that meant laying on the torque converter pretty hard.

My Cummins powered ram has been as hot as230ish, pulling a heavy trailer, stop-n-go traffic jam, also 90+ degrees. Once traffic started moving it cooled right back down to its normal 170.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey