Adding a Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Can a remote key fob be added to an 85 C10 that has power door locks?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I don't see why not.

Just have to pay someone to hook it up the way you would a remote starter. I don't know of any DIY kits but I've never looked because I've never had a truck with power locks. But it's a simple wiring thing with a radio transmitter, it can't be too hard at all if you know a little about electrical stuff.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Absolutely yes!!! My first job was doing just this thing. There are a plethora of kits available for just the fob or you can go ahead and install an aftermarket alarm. MOST good alarm kits come with a fob that unlocks doors. Hell you can have remote start, alarm,windows down,doors the whole nine.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yes not an issue. My R10 has a simple lock and unlock alarm setup.
For my k5 it's a remote start alarm. Of course it locks and unlocks, turns park lights on...I also set it to lock the doors when I put it in drive and unlock when the key is turned off. Will probably add a module to roll the back window down from the fob.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Thanks, I'll look into those kits.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Since I’m cheap, and have access to a salvage yard that gives me the freedom to wander around and brainstorm, this is probably what I would do.

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=975362

Great minds think alike?

I pulled my setup from a '97 Lumina that I parted years ago. I've never installed it because I couldn't ever decide which vehicle I wanted to put it in. I think I just need to go get more and put the keyless setups in a bunch of them.

But on the other hand, I hardly ever lock my doors, lol.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Great minds think alike?

I pulled my setup from a '97 Lumina that I parted years ago. I've never installed it because I couldn't ever decide which vehicle I wanted to put it in. I think I just need to go get more and put the keyless setups in a bunch of them.

Is it from cars where you use the obd2 connector to program more? My 99 aurora has rke that you have to ground a pin and do that way. No diagnostics in tech 2 for it. It also has pass key ii. My guess is anything rke amd pass key 2 or without anti theft is what you would find the module from? My 99 park avenue has it connected to the class 2 data bus and pass key 3 so no go

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is it from cars where you use the obd2 connector to program more? My 99 aurora has rke that you have to ground a pin and do that way. No diagnostics in tech 2 for it. It also has pass key ii. My guess is anything rke amd pass key 2 or without anti theft is what you would find the module from? My 99 park avenue has it connected to the class 2 data bus and pass key 3 so no go

It has a dedicated wire that just gets jumpered to ground for programing. On the W body, it's in the trunk.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To touch on this a bit. Even if the truck DOESNT have power locks you can still install an aftermarket one for an alarm/ remote start.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Great minds think alike?

I guess they do think alike! I didn’t notice you posted the exact same link. I have that link saved for a rainy day project that I will probably never get around to trying.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I guess they do think alike! I didn’t notice you posted the exact same link. I have that link saved for a rainy day project that I will probably never get around to trying.
Lots of stuff to do before that just like 260 swapping your square!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL