A Tale of Man & a Square dream

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
my obsession with square bodies started when as a teenager the body style changed and I said WTF. Could not take the change. Now I’ve owned many different vehicles over the years (42) and have come close but never got to own a square. Well a couple years ago I bought a 95 Mazda b2300 for $1500(probably worth $500) it had a few problems but served it’s purpose as back up. Now I have traded that truck for my square a 1985 c20 2wd 350 not sure on ratios (I haven’t a clue what that is) I believe it’s a 14 bolt rear end (clueless) and 700 tranny ( transmission right?) four barrel. I think it might have been wrecked don’t think bent but feels funny.
Now the reason for this build besides self is to get my teenagers off PS4 for lil bit.
I have now explained my ignorance of the subject and have all kinds of questions 1st did I get screwed and how to tell.
Where to start and place my focus?
Thank you for your time. JGSR66

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
my obsession with square bodies started when as a teenager the body style changed and I said WTF. Could not take the change. Now I’ve owned many different vehicles over the years (42) and have come close but never got to own a square. Well a couple years ago I bought a 95 Mazda b2300 for $1500(probably worth $500) it had a few problems but served it’s purpose as back up. Now I have traded that truck for my square a 1985 c20 2wd 350 not sure on ratios (I haven’t a clue what that is) I believe it’s a 14 bolt rear end (clueless) and 700 tranny ( transmission right?) four barrel. I think it might have been wrecked don’t think bent but feels funny.
Now the reason for this build besides self is to get my teenagers off PS4 for lil bit.
I have now explained my ignorance of the subject and have all kinds of questions 1st did I get screwed and how to tell.
:welcome:

I can relate to that PS4 stuff. My kid just got the new Monster Hunter, and he'll hardly leave his room in his spare time.... Looks like a really nice rig! Got more pics of it? I can't be one to complain- I've only posted two pics of my mirrors..... Lol. Anyways, check out the tech library, and stickies. The amount of info here is crazy. TONS. So, why does it feel funny? IMHO- if you're only in it 1,500.00, you didn't get screwed. At all. Even if it was more, that time with the kids working on it should be priceless. Anyways, welcome to the site!

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

:welcome:Jerrie [did I spell it correctly?] You and I aren't too far apart.. I'm on highway 287 in Elkhart, 10 miles south of Palestine.. Driving distance around 100 miles from Mesquite.. I bought my most recent square body from a guy over in the Ft Worth area..

I grew up in the era before the internet, home computers and certainly before cell phones, so I can't help you with the PS4 problem.. I guess you might say I'm one of the lucky ones in that I was working at a Pontiac GMC dealership and witnessed the introduction of the first square bodies that rolled out.. I'm now retired and living the "country life", but I worked in the automotive repair industry for over 30 years..

I can't speak for the value of your Mazda, but I bought a new B2000 in 1982.. I run the wheels off that thing.. One time I Made 2 back to back trips from Beaumont to Austin dragging a tandem axle enclosed U-Haul trailer filled with household goods and furniture and that little truck never complained.. During the time I owned it, I put close to 150,000 miles on it.. If your C/20 was a running, driving truck when you traded for it, I'd say you got the better end of the deal..

There are a number of guys on here that can tell you everything you asked about.. Let me offer a suggestion.. On the inside of the glove compartment door is a decal like sheet that has a list of equipment and options. It's called the Service Parts Identification or "SPID" for short. If it's still there, take picture of it and post it on here..

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Right now around here it’s Call of Duty & for some reason their has been a resurgence in Doom lately.
Thanks for the welcome I think I am pretty much gonna stick with Tech forum unless it’s real specific and I know what I am saying. As far as feel funny is the only way I can describe it is that Cab & bed are floating almost like they will just slide off. I’m sure it’s suspension related but where to start and I’m a bartender not a wealthy man lmao.
Thanks again for the 2and chance jgsr66

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The guy I got it off said it was his fathers project and he passed away the son has no interest. So this is what it looked like no SPID. HE DID START LEDS in cluster and I think I finished correctly not sure about speedometer or fuel gauge.
You must be registered for see images attach

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome !

Post lots of pictures as that will help us crayon-eaters identify things and help with "I don't know what I don't know" questions.

Last edited:

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Here are some pictures I’ll post more later

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, yes post lots of pics if you can, suspension front and back, under the body/bed, engine and trans, since this was a project in progress who knows what has been done and not done/completed, everything needs to be checked and verified from one end to the other, it's a safety factor to say the least..

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Welcome aboard.

I would climb under the truck first thing and make sure all the nuts and bolts holding the cab and box to the frame are in place and tight. Being that it was a project they may have been removed and not reinstalled or torqued properly. I knew a chick who got her fuel pump replaced and they didn't put all the bed bolts back in and it just sort of flopped around. I'm sure looking in the mirror traveling down the road it looked like it was floating around.

Can't help with the video games. I saw the way the world was heading and never allowed my daughters to have them.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Welcome aboard. If the tranny is in fact a 700R4 then it is not original to the truck. I believe 1985s came with a TH350. If you post up pics of whatever is in question someone will help you identifying.

Its a project for sure, but for the price its looks like a good start. What do you have planned for the truck?

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not sure what direction to go just know I want it STRONG

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Here are a couple more

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
And then?

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Okay those are some pics if other angles needed or something I missed let me know. Now I’m going under to look for body bolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey