A/C Parts For Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Time to fix the AC in the 88 K5. I was looking to basically change everything under the hood. The present compressor is locked up tighter than a frog's ******** after eating a block of cheddar. Any way I was thinking compressor w/ clutch, condenser, discharge/suction hose, accumulator, orifice tube, o rings and compressor plug. I have no idea if the compressor came apart or if there are any contaminants in the system is my reasoning for tearing it all out. Anything else I should check or swap? I just would love to just be in and out with a once and done with a little home work I fig it should be just that.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Time to fix the AC in the 88 K5. I was looking to basically change everything under the hood. The present compressor is locked up tighter than a frog's ******** after eating a block of cheddar. Any way I was thinking compressor w/ clutch, condenser, discharge/suction hose, accumulator, orifice tube, o rings and compressor plug. I have no idea if the compressor came apart or if there are any contaminants in the system is my reasoning for tearing it all out. Anything else I should check or swap? I just would love to just be in and out with a once and done with a little home work I fig it should be just that.

You didn't mention so I'll ask. You know with a high degree of certainty that the whole compressor is seized, and it's not the clutch messing up? I personally would hate for you to spend a bunch of unnecessary money. Anyways, granting that it seized, and there was a chance it contaminated the system with metal, you need to replace everything you mentioned plus I would flush the evaporator and consider replacing the lines. They're 56 dollars at Autozone, I believe. That may sound like overkill, but it would suck to ruin an almost brand new AC system with a chunk of metal in an unexpected place. How are you evacuating your system? By the way, I don't think I've spoken to you before. Keyword think. I see you're from Louisiana. I'm from MS, and I'm a sophomore at Tulane in NOLA.

Last edited:

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I would say I am 90% sure the compressor locked up. 1 I found the belt under the hood burned to **** before it broke and 2 I put a filter strap on it and she won't budge a lick. To evac I got a buddy that can suck it down at Delta for no charge and I would get him to vac and recharge it as well with the proper oil and a few cans of R134. I have been on a hiatus for a few months with no time or money to play with the K5 due to work and what not. But here I am back and playing with my money pit again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL