99 Suburban donor for R10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ccardenas87

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Was searching for an existing thread with info available but didn’t have any luck. I have a perfectly good running 2wd suburban. Does anyone know if it’s possible to transplant it’s entire engine and trans components without too much modification or fabrication. Obviously anything is possible with money lol. I’m just looking to use every part available out of my suburban to make my 87 R10 into a reliable daily driver. Thanks guys.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Are you trying to do a Vortec TBI thing? Like using your R10 harness and equipment on the later engine? Are you looking to use the ‘99 harness, PCM, etc. and ditch the TBI? The former is what I’d do if I had the time and money to do it. You’d need to tune the PROM, get a Vortec TBI intake, and do something about the anemic throttle body/injectors in their current form. That’ll likely lead to a needing a stronger fuel pump (i.e. one from a 94-95 big block TBI). You’d also need a standalone controller to run the 4L60E. For the latter, you should technically have everything at your disposal, but you’d have to transfer the whole engine harness and PCM over to your R10 rather than just the engine and transmission so there’s more stuff transferring over that way.

@Daveo91Burb

Ccardenas87

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Yes I would like to use the Vortec TBI, 4l60 trans, computer and harness from suburban and as much as possible also. From some of the forums here I’ve already established I will need to send in the pcm in order to delete vats. I’m toying with the idea of a fuel cell, or the suburban fuel tank if possible (wishful thinking). Any info or helpful links on stand-alone controllers for trans? Any info or options are greatly appreciated guys. Thank you.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
If you move everything over, it will work. Or tbi cam be made to work without really much of any cost. Just no performance gain without tuning

Ccardenas87

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Any input on if the suburban rear end is compatible? Or recommendations on a compatible rear end? I’m tryin to use as much as possible from the suburban on the r10

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Rear end would need spring perches relacated, not a direct replacement. And it is 6 lug. Axles from later years are different count than 89 and older

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
If you go with sticking with TBI I have a few recommendations.

First, peruse GearHead EFI. The moderator there has a screen name of Dave W. (I think he may be a member here, too, but not sure if he's active) He also runs a business, Old School EFI, Vancouver, WA and is considered one of the most knowledgeable guys out there on legacy GM EFI systems (TBI, TPI, etc.) I would highly recommend getting in touch with him for recommendations on throttle body, injectors, and other stuff like EGR. In addition to the stuff already mentioned, you'll need a bigger TB, either 46 mm (what I'm using) or big block (I think 50mm) and bigger injectors. Stock 350 used 61 lbs/hr (65 for cop cars) - I'm using 80 lbs/hr from a big block, per Dave's recommendation. I agree with others on here that fuel pump should be upgraded, but Dave says it's probably not necessary - his tunes stay with stock pressure and the stock pump was the same for small and big blocks so it can handle the flow. BUT...just to be safe I did upgrade to a Walbro 190 which will be more than sufficient.

There are a number of other considerations that I'm not thinking of now. You can check out my build thread, but it's kind of long.

Unfortunately, I'm not yet at a place where I can say how my setup actually works. Life happens...delayed yet again. New engine is sitting in the truck on its mounts, but nothing is hooked up yet and tranny's out right now. Should be able to start back up on it now and hope to have it running by August.

Ccardenas87

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Thank you for the input. I have a lot of questions in regards to the egr system especially living in California so I will definitely look into his website. I'll be diving into your thread for sure. I've carefully started dismantling the 99 suburban with the fantasy of retrofitting everything onto the R10. Everything else will be parted out to fund this project.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
You can transplant everything, you just have to make a few adjustments to your R10.

Assuming your engine swap will stay as a vortec and not vortec tbi you will need a high pressure fuel pump to replace your old tbi pump (you may be able to drop in the pump from the 99) I believe you also need a 411 pcm to make the swap work (or at least work better), not 100% sure on this so please do some more research. You will also need to have the PCM flashed to remove certain parameters that are security related and wont be used in the swap. Check blackbear for the custom tune which will also net you performance gains, i believe lt1swap.com also does flashing for this but its more a cleanup to facilitate the swap (its also much cheaper). Having the donor vehicle makes it much smoother for you. So I say tear it down and figure it out after.

You should be able to use your existing driveshaft and crossmember since externally the swap is the same size as your existing setup.

Ccardenas87

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Forgive me for sounding like a rookie, is there a difference between Vortec and Vortec TBI? And thank you for answering my next hurdle which was the driveshaft. Any recommendations on a high pressure fuel pump? I've been informed by others to consider a high pressure fuel pump and injectors. Would they be necessary if its a direct swap?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Vortec in this context refers to the last incarnation of the SBC from 96-02, which is in your donor Burb. People mistakenly call TBI Vortec sometimes, but I was referring to you placing the TBI equipment atop the late style small block. TBI by itself is not called Vortec.