95 Chevy 350 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1985SBC

Reaction score
First Name
jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an 85 k10 that has an early 90s tbi 350 in it. Did a carb swap. Blew that motor up recently. I have my eye on a 1995 tbi 350 but I'm concerned at the oil filter housing. Its off to the side down at the oil pan and I'm thinking that it wont be able to clear the front driveshaft. The current oil pan had the filter sitting horizontally. As most of the SBCs were. But this newer motor with the new filter placement worries me. Whatre y'alls thoughts? Should it be alright in terms of fitment? Thank you for any input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
On an 85 the oil filter should be on the drivers side and the driveshaft should be on the passenger side???

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The horizontal oil filter is mounted to an adaptor that needs to be removed and installed onto the replacement engine, if clearance is an object but, as Idahovette pointed out, driveshaft is to the other side.
If the 85 has been adapted to the 95 radiator then it might be possible that the cooler hoses would be needed but, I do not see anyone messing with them troublesome units.
If it were Me, I`d just run with the vertical oil filter adaptor and caller good.

1985SBC

Reaction score
First Name
jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The driveshaft is on the passenger side and the oil pan that's on the truck now has the filter on the driver side. But I believe the filter is on the drivers side. Cant exactly look at it as it is three hours away on the other side of the state I live in. Now, in terms of the radiator, it's a radiator for an 85 and was installed normally with no modification. The oil filter adapter may be needed if the new engine (the engine w horizontal filter) has clearance issues. But if the filter on the new motor is on the driver side I SHOULD be alright. My original plan was to swap the oil pan from my old 350 onto the new one, but as you can see here, that ain't happening.
You must be registered for see images attach

1985SBC

Reaction score
First Name
jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thank yall for the clarification, I have one more question relating to this. For things like my water pump, alternator, PS pump on the 91-92 350, will they be able to bolt right onto the 95 350? I only ask because I'm pretty sure the 95s were getting tensioners and idlers pulleys. Because if the serpentine belt system wont bolt on then i might need to get new pulleys and belts as well as new parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1