91 Nissan, need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I know it isn't a squarebody, or a chevy, or even American, but you guys are all super helpful and thought you may be able to help.
It's not my truck, it's my buddy's. 91 Nissan 4cyl, 5 speed stick, 2wd.
I helped him get it running a few weeks ago, and the past few days, it started running like crap, and we cant figure out why.
It was his Dad's, his dad died, and it had been at his family property. Hadn't run in 5 years, we flat towed it back to his house. It needed a battery, a starter, and a fuel pump. After changing out the pump, it started right up and ran beautiful, we took it out for a drive and it ran and drove great.
Now, when you start it up, it runs fine for about 30 seconds, then starts to spudder and spit, and cut out worse amd worse until it dies. If you try to drive it, its pops and spudders and bucks. Its starts off fine, running on 4, then sounds like its running on 3, then sounds like it's running on 2 (sounds like a wicked cam in a big block), then it pops a little like its running on 1, them dies. Has no power at all. When its just idling, itll stay running, but if you put any load on it, it hates it.
We've checked that the pump is working, the lines aren't clogged, the filter isn't clogged, that the air flow sensor is clean, it has new distributor cap, wires, plugs, we cleaned the injectors and checked them with an ohms meter to make sure they're working. The ECU isn't showing any problem codes.
All we can think of is that either there is a sensor or something that's gone bad, or the ECU is crapping out.
I thought maybe it could be the new fuel pump isn't putting out the right fuel pressure, but it's new, so...
And i thought maybe the coil isn't putting out enough, but that wouldn't explain why I runs great at first then not.
I dont know, we're both stumped. Any help you can offer would be awesome, thanks.

Donald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
350 / 290
Have you replaced the fuel filter , I have seen them look good and flow some fuel but not enough to run properly .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep