1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 crew cab short bed 4x4

Discussion in '4wd Pick-Ups K/V 20 2500 K/V 30 3500' started by kleedus, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kleedus

kleedus Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Truck Year:
    1960 threw 91
    Truck Model:
    c10 to k30
    Engine Size:
    350 threw 454
    i want to make this truck a nice daily driver and light tow rig with decent fuel economy. as far as big trucks go.
    i looked at new chevy crew cabs and could not justify 45 grand for a truck made out of plastic that i really did not like. so i figure i have a budget of 7 or 8 hundred a month for the next 5 years to build a real truck that i really like. i should be able to build a sweet truck for 45 grand.

i started with a 90 crew cab missing the motor but pretty solid otherwise.
    my plan is 6 or 8 inch lift
    keep the dana 60 14 bolt single wheel axles
    96 vortec 350(soon to be 383) 93 nv4500 tranny with a 205 t-case
    cut the frame to a short bed.

i have stripped it down and sand blasted the frame and axles and painted them satin black.
    and have been collecting parts for the build.
    i bought a wrecked 96 tahoe for the motor. and scored a painless harness for it for 250 bucks.
    i have the nv4500 from another one of my trucks. and the 205 came with the crew cab.
    i have all the key parts for this build its just the little parts that are left. and i have under 3 grand spent on it with truck and complete drivetrain.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  2. Irishman999

Irishman999 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-1500 High Sierra
    Engine Size:
    With that cash you are saving you should get a better camera :Moon:, jk man.

I really look forward to this build, I cant figure out how people can spend so much money on a pickup either. The going rate of a decent pickup right now is about half the price of a fuckin house in this area.

Your duties expected of a pickup were most likely met in the past 20 years as long as you are willing to work on it. I had an 07 Sierra and compared to my 85 High seirra I will choose my 85 all day long, especially considering the 85 is paid off.

3. kleedus

First Name:
    Ray
    Truck Year:
    1960 threw 91
    Truck Model:
    c10 to k30
    Engine Size:
    350 threw 454
    ah come on my t rex cell phone took that picture.:lol::lol:

i have a collection of trucks subs and blazers to supply part for this truck so most of my money will go towards cool guy stuff.

4. kleedus

First Name:
    Ray
    Truck Year:
    1960 threw 91
    Truck Model:
    c10 to k30
    Engine Size:
    350 threw 454
    oh ya i daily drive a 71 chevy c 10 short bed. and my previos daily driver was a 63 c 10 short bed and i owned a brand new 2001 silverado. i chose the 63 over the 2001 everytime the wife had to drive the 2001 she wanted the 63 also.

5. oneluckypops

oneluckypops Full Access Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
    Cool build ya got.
    I just finished my vortec 350 swap a few weeks ago. Not usre if your aware of what your gonna run into or not, but I got a few questions for you.
    You say your going to make it a 383, How do you propose to do that? The vortec motor is a 1 piece rear seal block and crank, to make a 383 you will need a 400 crank. I was thinking the 400 cranks where for a 2 piece seal?
    Also you say you scored a painless harness for 250, that is a really good buy HOWEVER which computer are you going to be running? the one from the tahoe? I fear that you will need a 411 PCM to run the 383, which will have different PCM connectors. 411 (2 80 pin) versus black box (4 32 pin).

Any particular reason for not doing a cummins swap in that beast of a truck? I like the vortec just fine but I wonder if you might like the cummins alittle better for economy, and towin power. My last tank I got 15MPG out of my vortec and your truck is alot heavier then mine.

Not trying to sound like a know it all just making sure you have thought everything out before you get rolling with it, let me know if you have any questions along the way. gl

6. oneluckypops

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    with wanting to do a 6-8" lift I presume your talking around a 38" tire aswell? your gonna want to regear the front and rear to make up for the taller tires also. If you did a cummins swap instead you may not have to regear. Diesel motors dont like RPMS so depending on what your gears are now adding the taller tires might just get your RPMS down where they need to be.

7. kleedus

First Name:
    Ray
    Truck Year:
    1960 threw 91
    Truck Model:
    c10 to k30
    Engine Size:
    350 threw 454
    ya i just read threw your build thread a few minutes ago

they make a 383 crank for the 1 peice rear seal the 383 is a common improvement to the vortec.

even gm performance parts makes a 383 crate motor to swap out a vortec 350
    go to jegs web site look up part number HT383E

i plan to run the 96 tahoe computer. all the info i find on the gmpp 383 says the computer will adapt to the 383. no mods needed thats from gm performance parts. i do not know any different at this time. i plan to build mine to the same specs as it. Engine Hp/Tq: 340 Hp @ 4500 rpm / 435 Tq @ 4000 rpm.
    the painless harness came from a guy that gave up on a project and sold it in parts. its around 700 new like i said i scored on it

i do not like disel engines to much noise just not a fan. i know what they can do just do not like them.

i will run 35'' tires
    i have the nv4500 in my 85 single cab right now with the 35'' tires and 3-73 gears with a tbi 350 (my last try not enough power but good economy). ya i know the gears killed it
    the crew cab has 4-10 gears and the vortec 383 will have more torque and more power with the nv4500 i think i will be good. if not i will re gear it

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  8. smurph20

smurph20 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Brad
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
    Any way yo do it it will look good.

9. kleedus

First Name:
    Ray
    Truck Year:
    1960 threw 91
    Truck Model:
    c10 to k30
    Engine Size:
    350 threw 454
    wow alot of info back and fourth there
    i am not that cut and dry

i thank you for your input and welcome advice and questions

i know there will be things pop up. but i know it can be done and will find a way threw anything that pops up.
    i have built many trucks from the ground up and have a huge chevy parts collection to pull parts from.
    i built my 85 with 87 tbi and the 93 nv4500 by just jumping in and figuring it out and with help like what you have to offer on this vortec swap.
    i know tbi is easy but when i started on it i knew nothing about tbi.

i think with the 383 nv4500 and 4-10 gears it should be almost perfect for they way i plan to use it

10. kleedus

First Name:
    Ray
    Truck Year:
    1960 threw 91
    Truck Model:
    c10 to k30
    Engine Size:
    350 threw 454
    the tahoe is complete and running its just wrecked. i should go weigh it and see how much more my truck will be than it. the tahoe runs pretty good plenty of power. and i got it for 700.

i plan to put the crew on a diet cut it down where i can. disc rear brakes will cut around 50 pounds. and everything else i can think off to loose pounds. aluminum heads

and yes i looked at a LS 6.0 or 8.1 but just do not want to spend that much on just the conversion parts. the vortec is a bolt in swap.

11. oneluckypops

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    See there ya learn something new everyday. Thanks I wasnt aware that a 383 crank was offered for the Vortec motors. I still question the computer issue though, from all the tuners I have spoken with through out the different vortec and electrocic transmission swaps I have done, everyone has told me that the black box computer just doesnt have the tuning abilities for bigger mods. I am sure it will need a new tune to run the extra displacments, possably even bigger injectors, which gets into a marine manifold conversion, (I plan on doing the marine conversion also).
    As for tire size and the gear ration, that can be a bit tricky, 4.10 gears IMO will be borderline low enough for a 35" tire, HOWEVER with using a NV4500 transmission you may just be ok. Dont forget about the 5th gear nut though.

That is close to what i did, I bought a suburban for my motor, the Trans was fried and I bought it for 600 bux, I rebuilt the wiring harness, and adapted it to my truck, but for you having the painless harness you wont need to do that. You should be golden with your truck being a 90 model for the fuel system all you should have to do is replace the pump in the tank, unless your wanting to go inline pump. 1 more question, The 205 transfercase your going to use what is it set up to use as a speed odometer? Cable or VSS? Even though your going with a manual transmission your VCM is still gonna need to recognise some sort of a vss, If your transfercase isnt set up for a VSS i will be curiouse to know which route you plan to go.

I dont blame you for not wanting to go with a 6.0 or an 8.1, although we both know thaey would make a hell of a powerplant the cost is something to defintly think of. As for the noise of a diesel, yea you would be right they are defintly noisey, and some people just dont like them. Nothing wrong with not wanting to do a diesel i was just curiouse if you had thought about it. I know when I am able to find a good 1 i will be redooing my truck again.

I cant wait to see your progress on this project, ask any questions you may have along the way I am sure there are alot of people on here that can and will help you with anything you may need.

12. oneluckypops

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    Dam it, Just thought of something else. As for the air cleaner what are you going to do in the 90? I used some kind of K&N kit that was already on the suburban but I hate it, I am still looking for other ideas.

I thought about building an adapter that bolts to the top of the throttle body, then slipping the air cleaner base on then the MAF sensor inside a normal round top mounted air cleaner. Think it will work?

13. kleedus

First Name:
    Ray
    Truck Year:
    1960 threw 91
    Truck Model:
    c10 to k30
    Engine Size:
    350 threw 454
    on the vss it is one thing that i am researching now. i have a normal speedometer cable on the 205.

they make a inline vss that goes inline with a speedo cable. but i am not sure if they make one with the right pulse signal for the this swap. i still need to figure that out.

if i cant make the nv4500/205 work i have the tahoe tranny (4l60 i think) and a tcase out of a 90 jimmy i can put in. and a few other options but i really want to stay with the nv4500/205

and whats the deal wit the 5th gear nut? i will look into that.

i was thinking about just putting the vortec pump in the tank. i will need to get a new 87 short bed tank. or possably a rear mounted blazer tank for more capacity or both saddle tanks. i have a 90 jimmy tank and the crossmembers so it would be a easy tank to put in. would need to put a fuel door in there somewhere. i use to work in bodyshops as a body man and painter so thats not a problem . i plan to run all new fuel lines so i can go either way.

and as far as the air filter i have not got that far yet. i wanted to get it together before i start on that kind of stuff. so i can fit stuff and see what i like.
    i was thinking some kind of cold air intake to help the motor make more power.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  14. kleedus

First Name:
    Ray
    Truck Year:
    1960 threw 91
    Truck Model:
    c10 to k30
    Engine Size:
    350 threw 454
    or i could just go the easy way and put a rebuilt tbi454 and a mad dog rebuilt 700r4 that i have in a 91 suburban in the crew and scrap the sub project.

but i want to stay away from big blocks i want some kind of fuel economy out of the crew cab.

i have the sickness bad my chevy collection is huge i have about 25 projects right now. they range from 60 to 91 vegas,camaros,lowrider trucks,lifted trucks and mud trucks. blazers subs and trucks i have a 2 wheel drive and a 4wheel drive of each right now.
    and at least 15 parts trucks and 3 tow trucks to move my stuff around.

15. 89Suburban

89Suburban Full Access Member

First Name:
    Paw Paw
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Chevrolet Tahoe LT
    Engine Size:
    5.3, 4WD
    I want to come over to your yard and drink beer and look at everything, lol. :grd:

Old77 here did a rear tank on his c-10, I think he made a door in the floor for filling it, he will chime in.....

Can't wait to see the rest of your collection. :)

By the way, the conversation going back and forth here is very educational and informative, I am really enjoying it.