90-91 gauge cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I've got this cluster from a neighbor a long with a lot of other stuff too. He said it worked fine when he pulled it. It's in really good shape too. I don't need it so if you want it I'll take $200(plus shipping)for it. They go for about twice that on eBay but, I just went to get enough to pay for the one I just bought for my 82. So let me know if you want it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I wish they put a six integer odometer (XXXXXX.X) in these, I’m fine with the mechanical speedo and Hall effect VSS. That’s the main appeal to me with one like this. Does anyone know if they offered the million mile ones before the electronic switchover?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I wish they put a six integer odometer (XXXXXX.X) in these, I’m fine with the mechanical speedo and Hall effect VSS. That’s the main appeal to me with one like this. Does anyone know if they offered the million mile ones before the electronic switchover?

They did. Mine is a mechanical six digit. Got it from the dealer after the original one puked. LMC has them.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
They did. Mine is a mechanical six digit. Got it from the dealer after the original one puked. LMC has them.

Thanks, I had no idea they had them! I’ll have to add that to my wishlist. And yours is an ‘85? I figured it’d be 1989-early 90 if they did because I’ve seen ‘88s with the trip odometer and those still had hundred thousand mile odometers.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Thanks, I had no idea they had them! I’ll have to add that to my wishlist. And yours is an ‘85? I figured it’d be 1989-early 90 if they did because I’ve seen ‘88s with the trip odometer and those still had hundred thousand mile odometers.

The original was a five-digit. When I bought the new one I was expecting the same, but I guess the six-digit superseded it. Probably made that purchase in the early '90s.

Last edited:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have got two of these. I stock up on these and the pass drop 241s whenever I see em

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

'89 got the 6-digit odo.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Thank you. If I see any junker squares of that year, I know what to get. I might even get away with adding/subtracting mileage with a drill.

That's fine if the mileage isn't too far off. But when I bought the new speedo I just took it apart and dialed up the mileage to match the old one, plus the 1 in the first digit place. The two rolled up on it's own shortly after. It's a little bit of a delicate operation, but spinning it with a drill would have taken an eternity and put a lot of wear on a brand-new instrument. Kind of defeating the purpose.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just finished rolling back my odometer. It's really not difficult at all. With the gauge out, pull the needle and face off. On the later speedo (85 mph) versions the needle is screw in. Mine came out without any issue. After that the odometer can be pulled off after removing a little slide clip on the left of the role. When it is out it can be rolled by hand to whatever value you want. I watched a video on youtube with a similar mechanism from an old mustang. Once you see how it rolls it makes complete sense. The only tools you need for this job after the gauge is out is a smaller flat head screw driver and your fingers.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That's fine if the mileage isn't too far off. But when I bought the new speedo I just took it apart and dialed up the mileage to match the old one, plus the 1 in the first digit place. The two rolled up on it's own shortly after. It's a little bit of a delicate operation, but spinning it with a drill would have taken an eternity and put a lot of wear on a brand-new instrument. Kind of defeating the purpose.

Right, and that’s what I meant. According to my math, it’d take 85 days without stop of burying the speedo needle at 90 mph with a drill to reflect my actual mileage starting from zero miles. Ain’t gonna happen. Even a used one would have to be relatively close for that approach to be feasible. I actually haven’t seen it done, and I’ve been scared of breaking nylon gears or whatever’s in there in the past, but I’ll see if I can search for the video you’re referring to.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Sold it on Facebook market

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I missed out. Couldn't not find a buyer for more that $80 couple of years ago when had couple for sale. Now, that could use one they are more than double the price

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
I missed out. Couldn't not find a buyer for more that $80 couple of years ago when had couple for sale. Now, that could use one they are more than double the price

Wish I'd sold it to you rather than a guy on Facebook from San Antonio.

I think someone on here has one but, they want $425. Lol

I'm sure they still have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify