Pissing match

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatRacer

Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I was looking to upgrade my headlights to LEDs and ordered a set off of Amazon.
Once they arrived it became immediately clear that they won't even come close to fitting in the factory buckets.

What are my options for an LED upgrade?
I have seen the LMC and Hella h4 options, but these aren't what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20230107_094657.jpg
    20230107_094657.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230107_094708.jpg
    20230107_094708.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 78

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have bought from these people. Use the search to find correct lamps for your truck.

CatRacer

Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the dual headlight of my 89 seems to be an oddball, and I'm not having any luck finding a LED replacement.
The only option their listing is the 5x7. The actual measurements of the 89 is closer to 3.5×6.
I also need them to be sealed waterproof as this is our family adventure rig and they are very likely to be briefly submerged.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
on my 1990 burb, I have the LMC upgraded housings and I trimmed the buckets to fit 9012 bulbs to use instead of the 9006xs bulbs. it is a solid upgrade and make sure you aim them correctly for the best pattern. I have thought about a drop in SL1 LED from Diode Dynamics, but haven't gone there yet. I do have my headlights backed up with Diode Dynamics Stage Series 6 wide pattern fog lights, and it lights up a wide pattern well outside the headlight throw. biggest reason I'd drop in the SL1 is to have the fogs and headlights the same white color vs the slightly warmer headlights that I have now.

CatRacer

Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
After further searching, there doesn't appear to be a direct LED replacement for this size headlight.

I decided to just replace the halogens and do the relay rewire.

I just ordered a pair of the Diode Dynamics SS6 6" fog light. I can run them with my low beams and supplement the poor light from the OEM style lights.

Lights should be here next week.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you're looking for an "upgrade" they sell housings that allow you to use composite housings where you can plug in modern headlight bulbs that are brighter than sealed beams, but still look normal and are capable of being aimed safely at the road ahead.

If you want to blind everyone on the around you in a fog of pointlessly bright light and make your cool old truck look like sh!t while throwing out a scattered light pattern that doesn't make the road any more visible but still makes the front of your truck say "look at me" to everyone around you while you pump out a seizure inducing shade of ultra white/blue that cuts peoples' souls in half, then you can switch to LEDs. Can't have both.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
After further searching, there doesn't appear to be a direct LED replacement for this size headlight.

I decided to just replace the halogens and do the relay rewire.

I just ordered a pair of the Diode Dynamics SS6 6" fog light. I can run them with my low beams and supplement the poor light from the OEM style lights.

Lights should be here next week.

you will like the SS6. here is a picture of how mine are installed. this is from before I upgraded to the LMC housings and 9012 bulbs and homemade relay harness for the headlights.

Attachments

• 20210726_190719.jpg
    20210726_190719.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 79

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
you need the 4x6 led headlights.
my son wanted to upgrade the crappy sealed beams in his '91 firebird for some leds, but he didn't like the looks of most of the led headlamps.
found some glass 4x6 leds that look totally factory. when i went halogen on my '85 crew i needed to modify the buckets, on his 'bird it was a complete drop in with no mods needed, except to re-pin the connectors on his firebird. the pass. side has a normal H4 plug, but the dr. side has the goofy firebird slant prong plug, so bought a plug adapter so no spilcing or cutting wires is needed.
have to say was the easiest light swap i have done.
got them from amazon, they make 2 and 4 headlight kits.
2 headlights
4 headlights

we also replaced the headlight motors while we were at it
You must be registered for see images attach

stockers... ....and the leds, which look like the stockers until there turned on

the difference at night is incredible, his low beams are twice as bright as his stock lights on hi beams

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a set of SL1s and SS3 Pro that I'll sell for a good price if anyone's interested. Both have approximately 3 months of normal use on them.

On my '90, I think I want to do the Caprice conversion and install LEDs if I can find a housing that aims the light correctly.

I've used Nilight headlight leds on a 2-3 headlight conversions and they fit well and aim well.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
my son wanted to upgrade the crappy sealed beams in his '91 firebird for some leds, but he didn't like the looks of most of the led headlamps.
found some glass 4x6 leds that look totally factory. when i went halogen on my '85 crew i needed to modify the buckets, on his 'bird it was a complete drop in with no mods needed, except to re-pin the connectors on his firebird. the pass. side has a normal H4 plug, but the dr. side has the goofy firebird slant prong plug, so bought a plug adapter so no spilcing or cutting wires is needed.
2 headlights
4 headlights

stockers... ....and the leds, which look like the stockers until there turned on

the difference at night is incredible, his low beams are twice as bright as his stock lights on hi beams
Oh, this might be what I've been looking for - thanks! I've got these oddball-sized headlights on my '90 Blazer, and have only been able to find one source so far, which is these: https://genssi.com/h4701-h4703-sealed-beam-led-replacement-headlights-2-pack/

However, I like the looks of these better, since they appear OE, and not with all that sci-fi digi-tronics looking stuff in there.

CatRacer

Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Unfortunately these aren't gonna work for the 89-91 Burb without a total rethink of the headlight buckets.

That's the entire reason for this post. 4x6 doesn't work because the stock buckets hold a 3 5/8"x5 3/4".

I have yet to find a sealed LED direct replacement for our oddball lights.

2 headlights

4 headlights

the difference at night is incredible, his low bams are twice as bright as his stock lights on hi beams

gsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
you will like the SS6. here is a picture of how mine are installed. this is from before I upgraded to the LMC housings and 9012 bulbs and homemade relay harness for the headlights.
On another subject...where do we find the front bumper impact strips that are on your GMC? I have searched and find none available.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
On another subject...where do we find the front bumper impact strips that are on your GMC? I have searched and find none available.

mine are still the tired OEM ones. they are in good shape except for the "chrome" insert that has yellowed. I am surprised that they are not reproduced through one of the major players (LMC, etc).

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Oh, this might be what I've been looking for - thanks! I've got these oddball-sized headlights on my '90 Blazer, and have only been able to find one source so far, which is these: https://genssi.com/h4701-h4703-sealed-beam-led-replacement-headlights-2-pack/

However, I like the looks of these better, since they appear OE, and not with all that sci-fi digi-tronics looking stuff in there.
Well, no dice. I ordered these, or at least what I thought was those (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SBXXB8M/) , but they are too big for my headlight frame/housing. Short of semi-major surgery, I don't see a simple way to adapt them, so sending them back. Once thing you gotta love about Amazon - no hassle returns!

For others with these oddball size headlights (mine's a '90 Blazer, so possibly adjacent years are similar), these won't work. See pics for size comparisons.

Attachments

• 20230114_100009.jpg
    20230114_100009.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230114_095955.jpg
    20230114_095955.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230114_095905.jpg
    20230114_095905.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 48

CatRacer

Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Well, no dice. I ordered these, or at least what I thought was those (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SBXXB8M/) , but they are too big for my headlight frame/housing. Short of semi-major surgery, I don't see a simple way to adapt them, so sending them back. Once thing you gotta love about Amazon - no hassle returns!

For others with these oddball size headlights (mine's a '90 Blazer, so possibly adjacent years are similar), these won't work

. See pics for size comparisons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg