'88 TBI Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
What's the question?
Not following this thread.

Vortex heads ? Never any trouble / always a good idea. Cheap and simple way to pwn azz.

No?

Certainly a beginner mod for noobs on a budget then, right?
Always worth it?
Easier, Cheaper, and Better than you thought!

Hold on I got a good one.

More.Reliable!

Ho hidden costs?

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Okay. And say i do a MILD build, regardless of everything said above. Say i take steps, but nothing TOO major. At what point does a guy run headers, or is everyone going to jump straight to headers because "everyone could use better exhaust flow" what about my 02 sensor? Are we to suggest, get headers (and in turn a smaller start from what i've heard, more $$$) and weld in a bung?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@Rusty Nail o.p. bought a truck with a fresh amateur rebuild. Heads are warped rather than put it back stock his dad said he should go vortec with sniper fuel injection and he ran that idea past us. He just wants a mild build up and now it's turned into why don't vortecs work? They should work, they work for some people,why don't they work for everyone etc.etc.etc.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Sorry,thought I linked this before,then thought I forgot to link it so linked it again.
And to try to clear up some thoughts on swirl ports,they are a good head for low rpm torque and mpg. The ramp creates a turbulence that better atomizes the fuel so it lights off easier and burns better. Since it lights easier you can make equivalent power with less fuel,you also don't have to light it off as early to get complete combustion. Lighting it off later means the pistons aren't trying to fight the combustion on the upstroke,Chrysler did the same thing on 318s in the 70s for mpg. The problem is the turbulence stalls the port about 4500 rpm like cavitation on a boat prop. They figured out how to get the turbulence with the vortec head but without the cavitation but the vortecs were not designed to be run with a wet manifold.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Well, in my opinion, there isn't much that " switching to EFI with vortex heads" and "mild build" have in common. Not meant to be funny but it is....
That's a cool 180 turn in reliability and "no touch tuning" than the stock TBI.
The lattter, OE 1988 setup will be miles and miles AND MILES! ahead in reliability and turn key ease of use compared to vortex heads and a dry manifold.
That said, since he came here - to strangers - asking that question ,while leaning on inexperience, I think it has already been answered,,,by the OP.

Something like that is gonna always needs fixed and messed with. Always. Finding the right parts quick fast and easy in a hurry aint gonna happen pal , sorry to break it to ya but that's not very mild in my eyes and sure as heck aint for a novice.
Got a different way to get to work? LoL just in case...

I advocate use of #803s and #113s and even a 416 - if you can run Premium gas.

My two cents - keep the change. ;)

Last edited:

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
and @AyWoSch Motors

the main point of it is that's really causing this all, as stated in my last post, my current original heads are warped. The PO "rebuilt" the motor, had the short block sent out and it's damn good. Then he put the rest together: egr ports were clogged solid, NEW head gasket has massive leak between 3 and 5 with idle time on motor. It's clear he had no idea what he was doing. Didn't think to clean anything, guarantee he doesn't know his torque sequences. HE HAD THE EXAUST MANIFOLD RTV'd ON! Anyway I don't know why it was rebuilt but the head is definitely screwed. Perhaps he ran it on blown head gasket I DON'T KNOW.

But the MAIN thing here is i need heads now, bottom line. I wanted to do bare minimum, but the bottom end was brand new and now i need heads. That just opened the door for some upgrades and i was looking for the most reasonable, noticeable, simple upgrades while i'm here.

SO, TBI will stay and be damn near stock. Still leaving the heads question. I'm assuming AFR now, 99% of you guys are against Vortec, which a week ago was the next best thing in my book. Then again, no one knows these trucks like we do. Which i why i asked you guys.
So, what did you end up doing?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yea dude.
Smart money runs #083s and gets a fancy fuel pressure regulator spring...puts it back together and figures out the AC compressor bracket to add headers.
Mmm hmm.

Last edited:

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
I advocate use of #803s and #113s and even a 416 - if you can run Premium gas.
And for the newbs, Google does not translate, lol.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ahh! Everybody starts somewhere Gus. It is a very common reference to the cylinder head casting number - found usually in between valve stems - underneath the valve cover.
That number is long, 8 digits maybe and for simplicities' sake it is normally referenced by : the last three digits. 14101083 turns into #083.
its easy to mess up and Rick didn't save me this time. The board nazis won't let me fix it up there so I posted the whole thing. 083s were found on top of TunedPort Z28 and TransAm engines, etc and other hot rod SBC blocks - like Corvettes. #113 is the factory aluminum SBC head for the same ,where #416s were used in MonteCarlo SS 305s , 305 camaros and other cool stuff but are higher compression (58cc) ? It's possible to bolt them on a 350 but it's not for noobs. Premium gas is required for stock pistons.
Those are my favorites. I own and have experience with then all, it's not hyperbole. Do your own homework before spending cash huh?

*edit* #601 is said to be the #416 equivalent for perimeter style valve covers but I've never used them. Smaller 53cc chambers.*

Hope this helps!
:)

Last edited:

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
Ahh! Everybody starts somewhere Gus. It is a very common reference to the cylinder head casting number - found usually in between valve stems - underneath the valve cover.
That number is long, 8 digits maybe and for simplicities' sake it is normally referenced by : the last three digits. 14101083 turns into #083.
its easy to mess up and Rick didn't save me this time. The board nazis won't let me fix it up there so I posted thd whole thing. 083s were found on top of TunedPort Z28 and TransAm engines, etc and other hot rod SBC blocks - like Corvettes. #113 is the factory aluminum SBC head for the same engines where #416s were used in MonteCarlo SS 305s 305 camaros and other cool stuff but are higher compression (58cc) ? It's possible to bolt them on a 350 but it's not for noobs. Premium gas is required for stock pistons.
Those are my favorites. I own and have experience with then all, it's not hyperbole. Do your own homework before spending cash huh?

*edit* #601 is said to be the #416 equivalent for perimeter style valve covers but I've never used them. Smaller 53cc chambers.*

Hope this helps!
:)
Lol, figured it out later on the last three digits, but that was about it. Yes thx for your experience! Definitely learning and researching, great site!

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
So, what did you end up doing?

had some life hiccups tying up my funds for the project. I have everything picked, just need to order and install. Gonna be a bit and not wanting to spoil the surprise or give anyone a chance to change my mind. BUT hey thanks for checking up!

Not to mention the brother's dually happened into #1 priority spot somehow. Some peoples kids. . . .

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
I hear ya, such is life.:rolleyes:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Do they sell more efficient exhaust manifolds for the TBI motors? Obviously still including the oxygen sensor?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Do they sell more efficient exhaust manifolds for the TBI motors? Obviously still including the oxygen sensor?

hooker makes some, but no O2 sensor bung. you'd have to add it to the exhaust just after the manifold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84