'88 K5 RH Hinge Cover Cable Routing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I purchased an '88 K5 with a broken release cable. I removed it to clean the seats and, of course, I didn't take any pictures. It took so long to find a replacement that now I can't remember (or figure out) how to route the cable. Can anyone take a picture of theirs for me or direct me to an online picture. All my attempts have come up empty. I know its a lot to ask but I'm at a dead end. Thanks.

ETA: I should have left out the word "cover" in the title. Old and goofy. What can I say?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From what I remember, it just attaches to the recline mechanism, then goes down and forward to the release lever on the seat track.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
That's what I thought. Seems simple but it doesn't seem to work that way when I go to install it. I've spent a lot of time trying to Google it to find a picture without any success. I'm hoping I didn't get the wrong hinge. Bought off eBay and was supposed to be for my vehicle but without a picture I'm totally at a loss.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And I'm still lost. Is this to the driver seat were talking about?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And I'm still lost. Is this to the driver seat were talking about?

Passenger seat. When you tilt the seatback forward for rear seat access, it pulls a cable on the seat tracks, so the whole seat slides forward on the tracks too.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Most times I have ever seen the cable is broken and gone and the dash does a great job of stopping the seat when you kick it forward so it wasn't worth investing time in caring about it... If you want to be OCD about it go to your local Ace hardware and find some small gauge stainless cable and get some buckle ends and have someone show you how to make a loop and clasp it if you can't figure out what to do... If you really want to OCD the OCD compulsion while you are there get you a can of the black plasti dip that you can dip your tools and stuff in and you can rubber coat it after a few dips...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Most times I have ever seen the cable is broken and gone and the dash does a great job of stopping the seat when you kick it forward so it wasn't worth investing time in caring about it... If you want to be OCD about it go to your local Ace hardware and find some small gauge stainless cable and get some buckle ends and have someone show you how to make a loop and clasp it if you can't figure out what to do... If you really want to OCD the OCD compulsion while you are there get you a can of the black plasti dip that you can dip your tools and stuff in and you can rubber coat it after a few dips...

That's a different cable. You are describing the earlier seat where the whole thing tilted forward. That's just a limit strap so the headrest can't bust the window. The seat setup changed in '85 or '86. Can't remember which.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Passenger seat. When you tilt the seatback forward for rear seat access, it pulls a cable on the seat tracks, so the whole seat slides forward on the tracks too.
Ahh OK. Guess I got lucky then. The passenger seat on the K5 I just bought has a lever that gives access to the rear seat and it works just fine. it comes forward like an ejection seat and all the way forward at the same time or with the 1 lever.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Ahh OK. Guess I got lucky then. The passenger seat on the K5 I just bought has a lever that gives access to the rear seat and it works just fine. it comes forward like an ejection seat and all the way forward at the same time or with the 1 lever.

This is the type seat I'm talking about. No matter how I try to route the cable it just doesn't seem to fit right. Without it properly hooked up there's literally no access to the rear seat. I thought I would be able to find a picture of it online but so far no luck.

ETA: Spelling correction.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)

My above reply may not have been correct. This is what my seat is supposed to do, slide forward with the back tilting forward. Can't get the cable installed so it functions this way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is it under the seat cover? Is it something that one of us could look at our and get pics without taking the seat cover off or out of the truck? I'm sure someone would be willing if it's reasonably possible.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's under the plastic covers on the side. I've got all the parts to show it, I would just have to get them all dug out from various places.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I would greatly appreciate any pictures anyone can send me. A picture of it installed would be best since I have the hinge with cable installed that I purchased. I realize taking the plastic covers off would be a pain but if anyone could shoot me a pic I would be very grateful. Thanks!

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
See I am used to the one that was on my 77 and my 85 is getting the Tahoe sits on custom brackets...

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Finally figured it out. When I mounted the cable the way it looked like it should go, the plastic piece at the top would bend w/o letting the seat move forward, so much so that I was worried it would break. Then my brother-in-law realized it would work when held against the seat. When the cover is put on it does just that...holds it in line so it can't flex. Problem solved!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8